IGNORED

Marcel Brands (DoF)

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Btay said:

Has a busy January ahead of himself.

Theres some decent players with expiring contracts so the market could provide some value - even some loans.

Simply has to sign a CB of first team quality. Mina has been a rock and we must find someone to compliment him ASAP.

I agree, it has to be a priority. Ideally one with a bit of pace who can read the game well. They will need to be able to play a bit too.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I get the call but honestly want Holgate to get a run and have done for a while. There’s a very talented player there. 

He just switches off too often for me. He is definitely a talented player but there is something between the ears that is missing and that will be more important for him compared to others because of his size.

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

He just switches off too often for me. He is definitely a talented player but there is something between the ears that is missing and that will be more important for him compared to others because of his size.

That’ll come with game time, like DCL and his improvements. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

I get the call but honestly want Holgate to get a run and have done for a while. There’s a very talented player there. 

Agree, I have no issue with Holgate - he’s playing very well in the games he’s had ( good again tonight against spurs ) it’s Keane for me - he’s playing like the 20 year old inconsistent/lacking confidence. Also Yerry Mina ( who is our best CB by far ) has had a few injury scares leaving us way to skinny at CB. 

On 17/10/2019 at 09:04, BedfordBlue said:

Are people still impressed with brands we signed lots of very average players and are a far worse team than Last season. We are going backwards 

Well our position in the league shows we are worse than last season and have gone backwards. But a worse team doesn't mean worse players. You can have a team full of top players that just don't click or jell.

When I saw the squad we had to face this coming season, I wasn't overly impressed but didn't feel we'd struggle like we have. As for Brands. Well, time will tell. But if you act confident, looks smart, and say all the right things... you can get away with murder. 

Lossl: Decent goalkeeping cover.

Digne: Not the best at defending, but good going forward and supporting our attack.

Sidibé: Looking good at the moment, but likes to dwell on the ball. 

Mina: Starting to look solid, and a big improvement on the player a lot of blues were slagging off last season and the start of this one.

Delph: Decent player who brings his experience to the squad. Likes a sideways pass.

Gbamin: Bit unfair to judge really. Thought he was mismanaged, if I'm honest.

Gomes: Slightly overrated. Blows hot and cold, and tends to disappear during certain games, but is decent when he can be arsed.

Bernard: Tricky and energetic player who should be drawing more fouls and pens. Works well Digne.

Iwobi: Looks lively and positive when played correctly. Fairly impressed with him so far, considering he was supposed to be a complete dud.

Kean: Has the energy and enthusiasm, but not really produced anything when given the chance. We need to give the lad a lot more time and patience.

Richarlison: Basically, a sulky child whose reputation for his unnecessary theatrics, and over dramatic behaviour, is pretty much starting to cost us decisions when fouled. 

• 3 weeks later...

Marcel “buy crap players, Silva gets slaughtered (rightly - I’m his worst fan), let Silva take all the blame, then let moshiri take the blame for not sacking him, have zero to do with any names getting mentioned in replacing him, wear nice hits. Say f all to the press, buy iwobi for 40 mill, whack in a cheeky bid for zaha” brands.

what a guy 

Suits. Also......”director of football at a club that plays crap football, can’t do no wrong, getting paid loads, has a season to identify a right back and gets a Monaco reject, who can’t defend, gets no centre half, buys some kid who’s hardly played pro football to lead a premier league team line, buys a crock from city who even when he does play is always 80%, but really carries himself well” so let’s just say he’s quality anyway and hope the next managers amazing to cover up this guys fraudulent perception 

31 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

The relationship between the DoF and the manager/coach is all wrong.

How I understand it is that a manager makes the final decision on new players and contracts whereas a coach just prepares the team for and during matches. So Silva is a head coach whereas Moyes previously was a manager.

I don't think the current system works at a club like Everton because we are still trying to punch above our weight and need some bloody mindedness. I think the demands are too different to European clubs or the clubs at the top of the league.

We need a manager who can identify weaknesses in his team and produce a profile for the players that he requires. Then Brands should go and find some of those players for the manager. Currently it seems that Brands is deciding what players we need and then the coach is just preparing them for games.

Who knows. Everyone else tells me the DOF model works at other clubs like Liverpool and city. There’s no way in a million years there’s another person telling klopp or guardiola who to buy and how to play football. Why do we think that brands is a mastermind behind all our transfers? I question everything because I haven’t got a clue. The DOF is only important when you have a crap manager.....

7 hours ago, barryj said:

I’m not blaming Brands for what I’m seeing on the pitch. The team selection was wrong yesterday. I was surprised a number of people were happy with it in the match thread. Iwobi provides more attacking threat in the short time he was i the pitch and I believe DCL is better than the invisible Tosun. 

Iwobi has been an unsung hero for us since coming here, it’s a shame it goes unnoticed particularly by the man who bought him. 

On 24/11/2019 at 05:12, barryj said:

I’m not blaming Brands for what I’m seeing on the pitch. The team selection was wrong yesterday. I was surprised a number of people were happy with it in the match thread. Iwobi provided more attacking threat in the short time he was on the pitch and I believe DCL is better than the invisible Tosun. 

we don't agree much but i do here.  Mina Digne Gomes Bernard Richarlison are all excellent value.  people clamiing brands transfers are awful are not intelligent.  he shifted LOADS of dead wood and brought in all that quality.  Kean could be another Mina and look excellent next year.  Sidibe people are split on, Lossl we haven't seen enough of.  Brands is not the issue.

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

we don't agree much but i do here.  Mina Digne Gomes Bernard Richarlison are all excellent value.  people clamiing brands transfers are awful are not intelligent.  he shifted LOADS of dead wood and brought in all that quality.  Kean could be another Mina and look excellent next year.  Sidibe people are split on, Lossl we haven't seen enough of.  Brands is not the issue.

Couldn’t agree more with you! For once 😉😂

As you can see from previous posts I’m certainly not a huge brands fan from his transfer dealings. If Moyes does get appointed, then Brands stock will fall with many fans. I don’t get who makes these decisions though.

Moyes would surely be a Kenwright appointment. We have far too many chefs right now all involved in the decision process. Brands, from what I understand, is heavily involved dealing with Silva on a daily basis identifying transfer targets, discussing player profiles and how this fits into a style of play. Is that right? Is he also supposed to be scouring Europe, drawing up a list of managerial targets with agents for when the current guy doesn’t work? Sounds a bit weird to me. Surely a good relationship between the DOF and manager is crucial. We hear how koeman and Walsh hated each other so that was never going to work. How are you supposed to have a good trusting relationship with the manager if you’re constantly on the look out for his replacement? It could even be this relationship which is delaying the inevitable sacking of Silva right now?

i understand that other clubs have this model and it’s been successful. Liverpool and city spring to mind but they have the two best managers in the world so I’m fairly sure that’s why the model works.

who is tottenhams DOF? Do they have one? Daniel levy makes the big decisions there that’s for sure. If they do have one I’ve never heard him mentioned. Levy hires and fires and signs the cheque’s. Jose will certainly be the biggest influencer in the transfer targets and signing of players without a doubt. It’s simple. And it works.

We have a new majority shareholder allowing the previous majority shareholder to still be involved in the decisions and hang around with his influence. Then we have a DOF getting lost in all of the craziness above him. Just a really, really badly ran football club.