IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

4 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

yeah, love listening to him talk about the team and his passion for the club.  But also hugely impressed by the way he approaches games and the level of detail he went into as a player.  Could see him being really thorough as a manager and also a good positive people manager.  Certainly wouldn't stand for anyone that wasn't willing to give it their all!

Love his love of Hibbo!

I like how he talked about himself as a player. So much confidence and arrogance about his ability and knowing the problems he could cause. And being honest about how they had to kick Gerrard and Carragher  😂

Not right now, but I would love Tim to get to that level and manage Everton one day. 

1 minute ago, StevO said:

I like how he talked about himself as a player. So much confidence and arrogance about his ability and knowing the problems he could cause. And being honest about how they had to kick Gerrard and Carragher  😂

Not right now, but I would love Tim to get to that level and manage Everton one day. 

Can someone post a link to the podcast, I'd like to hear it.

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

OK (I don't agree) but even if you're right that's two managers since Catterick. Who are you suggesting is likely to fit the brief?

Mike, we didn’t witness most of the managers since Catterick 😂

Id suggest Big Joe and even Walter Smith but I don’t remember them as clearly as Moyes and Bobby. 

Just now, MikeO said:

Can someone post a link to the podcast, I'd like to hear it.

I don’t really know how to link a podcast Mike. But it’s called “The Greatest Game”. This week Jamie had Clattenberg on there. He talks about the Derby and how he got so much of it wrong. No shit! 😂

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Benitiez just feels a bit like a poor mans Ancelotti - very similar similar age, but not quite the same CV and with added baggage due to his strong Liverpool connection.

I would just rather see something 'fresher'. 

I will just have to get behind whoever is the manager, but think we will back in the market for another manager within the usual 18months or sooner!!

Agreed.

His best days in football are behind him.

25 minutes ago, MikeO said:

OK (I don't agree) but even if you're right that's two managers since Catterick. Who are you suggesting is likely to fit the brief?

Jo is a good shout too.

I would take Potter and Bobby again. 

I'm not saying they have to be Pep, they just have to be able to unite every facet of this club and have a vision of how they want us to play and carry it out.

2 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Yeah, but who wouldn't we be split over.  Guess you're saying this a different degree of split but it's painfully clear that there are no universally preferred candidates.

I've come around to the view that the club are purely looking at this as a "get to Bramley" situation.  The money involved and the whole future of the club are wrapped up in that and they're convinced that the Spanish waiter is the safest pair of hands to keep us safely ticking over.  Let's not forget that most of the younger more exciting managers that have been mooted would be bringing a very different style of play (probably for the better) but we have a seriously limited current squad and a very low ceiling for FFP.  Fact of the matter is that we can't overhaul the squad right now (at least without selling off Dom, Richy, Digne, Pickford).  I see a small transfer budget over the next few years and that combined with the huge risk embodied in the stadium makes a "Carlo Jr" the obvious choice for a bottom line focused board.

Might work.

Feels a bit soulless though doesn't it.

If that’s the case then they’re making the wrong decision. No chance of him being here when we move to BMD in my opinion. If I was a betting man I’d be putting money on him being out on his ear before the season is out. 

For me the matter is simple: Rafael Benitez was a half-decent manager a decade ago, although I never really liked his style of play or his weird and ineffective substitutions. Since then, his decline has been evident to the point that China was the only place that would take him.

Why in a million years would Everton choose someone with that profile? We're about to step out of the doldrums and into an exciting new era in a new stadium. Surely, anyone can see that we need an exciting, modern, passionate, committed manager on the up-and-up. That is most definitely not Benitez.

I met Mr. Moshiri once when meeting executives at Megafon. He's a very nice guy and one smart cookie. Based on the little I remember about him back then, I just can't fathom him making such a poor decision. My gut tells me that, ultimately, he will trust his team.

Favre now being considered a manager of 63 years old who got the sack and hasn’t won anything of note, what concerns me is most will get behind that if it means no Benitez or Martinez, for me that would be a massive backwards step and I’d take either of the other 2 over him. 

Rafa is not my preferred choice of manager by a long shot but and I absolutely despised him as a Liverpool manager but if he comes I will be right behind him, it’s totally counter productive to do anything else. 
Im still in two minds about this but I’m not in the slightest bit concerned that he is an ex red or his verbal digs at Everton in the past or even whether or not he is still a top manager, I honestly believe he still is

Apart from his extremely impressive CV look at what he did in his last job in the Premiership. Newcastle must have the most delusional , fickle and demanding fan bases on the planet yet they all love Rafa and dream about him being reinstalled should there take over ever go through so he must have done something right up there

For those saying he is finished where exactly has he failed?

My only worries are that the fans won’t give him the chance to succeed and I’ve read and heard some worrying stories lately about his poor man management resulting in clashes with several of his players over the years but maybe that’s what some of our prima donnas need anyway

11 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't want rafa not because he's a red, because plain and simple he's shit.

I think he's past his prime. His tactics are a bit outdated, much like Mourinho, but to say he's shit is not justified. He has won continental trophies with 3 different teams, and none of them was the ultimate powerhouse. I think he's capable manager and surely can bring some stability at Everton (he proved that with Newcastle). If you asked me who I would chose between Ancelotti and Rafa, and that before we appointed the Italian, I would have said Rafa. He is the better tactical mind, but no, I don't want him either.

8 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I think he's past his prime. His tactics are a bit outdated, much like Mourinho, but to say he's shit is not justified. He has won continental trophies with 3 different teams, and none of them was the ultimate powerhouse. I think he's capable manager and surely can bring some stability at Everton (he proved that with Newcastle). If you asked me who I would chose between Ancelotti and Rafa, and that before we appointed the Italian, I would have said Rafa. He is the better tactical mind, but no, I don't want him either.

Then why is Carlo getting picked up by Real Madrid and Rafa has been sat on his arse since coming home from China? Why have no big clubs wanted him for over five years now? 

If he is even close to being a decent manager after doing nothing of note since he left Newcastle why isn’t Daniel Levy trying to get him to Spurs? 

His ship has sailed. He was a top top manager a long long time ago and has been on the decline for a long time too. 
This would be like when we signed Gazza and Ginola, only much more horrible. 

I didn't said he's top manager anymore. Of course Tottenham will look for someone else, so we should. I said he's better than the Italian fraud, who only has won trophies with the best team at his disposal. He showed his true qualities (or lack of) when he faced his first challenge with Napoli and then us. I understand his decision to leave for Real, because if he stayed any longer he will find himself where Rafa is.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Rafa is not my preferred choice of manager by a long shot but and I absolutely despised him as a Liverpool manager but if he comes I will be right behind him, it’s totally counter productive to do anything else. 
Im still in two minds about this but I’m not in the slightest bit concerned that he is an ex red or his verbal digs at Everton in the past or even whether or not he is still a top manager, I honestly believe he still is

Apart from his extremely impressive CV look at what he did in his last job in the Premiership. Newcastle must have the most delusional , fickle and demanding fan bases on the planet yet they all love Rafa and dream about him being reinstalled should there take over ever go through so he must have done something right up there

For those saying he is finished where exactly has he failed?

I think it is difficult to work out how sharp his managerial talents are at the moment.

He brought Newcastle up (with one of the best squads in the league) and kept them in the league. I think that is an achievement but then again Steve Bruce has achieved a similar league position. I don't think Bruce is a terrible manager but I don't want him at Everton. The worst thing for me was the style of football at Newcastle which, at times, was dreadful.

He was at Real before that where he lasted 18 months before being sacked. They won the Club World Cup and the European Super Cup but that was it. They only finished 2 points behind Barcelona and they scored plenty and surprisingly conceded more than the other teams around them. With Real Madrid that would be classed as a failure.

At Napoli he spent a couple of seasons and they finished 3rd and 5th and well off the pace. They did win the Coppa Italia and Supercoppa. They were poor in the Champions League but reached the semis of the Europa League the second season. The year before he joined they finished 2nd and the season after he left they finished 2nd, albeit with no trophies. You wouldn't call it a success there, but he did manage to win a couple of trophies which isn't to be laughed at.

He only spent 7 months at Chelsea but they finished 3rd in the league and won the Europa League. Chelsea would have been favourites for that competition, but again it still has to be won! He managed 48 games in all comps (seems a bit high?), winning 28, drawing 10 and losing 10. This was the side that won the Champions League the year before but only finished 6th in the league. For only a few months I think that should be considered a successful stint.

His talents are clouded by his affinity to the redshite, If he hadn't managed Liverpool most people would accept him here and now.  Seems a very minor reason for some people not to want him as a manager.

If I owned a garage and was interviewing a mechanic for a job, If he was good enough I wouldn't refuse him the job because he had previously worked for the garage round the corner.  Its all a bit silly and very childish isn't it.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

His talents are clouded by his affinity to the redshite, If he hadn't managed Liverpool most people would accept him here and now.  Seems a very minor reason for some people not to want him as a manager.

If I owned a garage and was interviewing a mechanic for a job, If he was good enough I wouldn't refuse him the job because he had previously worked for the garage round the corner.  Its all a bit silly and very childish isn't it.

You might if he hadn’t fixed a car for ten years. 

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

But he has won more trophies (4 ) in the past ten years than we have in the last 34 years (1) 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ok then, he’s not fixed a car for five years. In that time the technology has advanced massively. He’s probably not even worked on a hybrid, let alone a full electric vehicle. 

3 hours ago, Bill said:

What if before he left the garage round the corner…. He laughed at yours and made you feel that your garage was beneath him?

And his last few jobs he did at that previous garage…. We’re ok ish! And he lost his job as they didn’t feel he was good enough. Add to that he has been signing on for the last six months because no one wanted him to work in their garage.

And he kicks cats when they cross his path, and hates puppies!

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

Ok then, he’s not fixed a car for five years. In that time the technology has advanced massively. He’s probably not even worked on a hybrid, let alone a full electric vehicle. 

Ye ok, this one was better than mine.