IGNORED

Chelsea (Home) 6th August

Romey 1878

I think, despite the result, we've got to try to look at the positives here. 

We did alright, despite having no striker, against a decent team. They could only get a daft penalty. Chelsea had more shots on goals, but I wouldn't say they were dangerous. Lots of their players were quiet today.

We blatantly need more options up front. I don't think we were shit, but we had absolutely no cutting edge.

Shame that.

More gutted that we've lost another 2 players. Mina is bound to be 4 weeks. Always is. Godfrey looks like a break so will be months. On top of DCLs, that 3 first teamers gone within a game.

Our injury record is dogshit. Another reason why recruitment are going for those with solid reliable records.

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

With the addition of Coady, Onana and gueye - I’m content with everything bar striker. Need 2 strikers bringing in. 

Agree. I have no issue with Rondon as a third option. He would have been better than Gordon up top today.

I'm not really sure what to make of that. 

We had some moments on the counter but they were fairly easily managed by Chelsea on the whole. Im not sure we actually tested Mendy or got close to it. Most disappointingly was that we were completely toothless when it came to the end of the game and trying to hold any sort of possession or break them down. We created nothing.

Defensively we were pretty sound and on the whole and Pickford also wasn't really tested. We camped out for most of the game and Chelsea are quite a toothless attack. We were comfortable in our deep block but it just allows pressure. When we came out of that shape we got pulled around and against more cohesive attacks I think we will get found out a bit more, especially on the counter attack against more defensive teams.

All of the new lads had a bit of a mixed bag, with good and bad moments. I think the most notable was Patterson as he struggled a lot before the half time break but then came out second half and was much better. He looks like a young lad with good character.

I don't really know how this sets us up for the season. 

Weird match. 
Came away from a defeat feeling a bit optimistic. Most of the team actually looked good. And we had a positive…. Mina went off injured.

Iwobi looks to have carried on last seasons second half form.

Tarkowski looks solid.

Holgate looked like the player he used to be.

Doucs full of energy.

Gray is just one of those players that can create things, but you have to accept he isn’t the hardest worker.

Myko… excellent for most of the match. Patterson looks a premier league player.

one the other hand.

Pickford.. not one, two but three brain farts.

Mina, as usual gets beaten to any challenged header by the shortest guy on the pitch. But he does win pretty much 90% of free headers.

Gordon. Get rid of that swagger, your not there yet. You looked more like forest gump today.

Oneil, not your best game. 

Dele, so frustrating. Did some really good bits at the hardest parts, but then fails on the simplest?

Think I got everyone?

Some positives in Mykolenko, Patterson and Iwobi who was my motm they all shone imo, Tara had a decent debut Holgate acquitted himself very well. 
McNeil was invisible, Gray showed no quality constantly losing the ball, Gordon not at it today needs heading practice, but in fairness to him his game was sacrificed but still a poor performance. 
If we ever needed to see how much we are going to miss Richarlison today was great example, no one upped the tempo and took the battle to them like he would have.  

Thought Gordon played well in the circumstances, asked to play up front with little support due to Chelsea's midfield.

Full of running, some nice touches and passes, but with no centre forwards to pass too it was hard for him.

I think everyone played well to be fair, really impressed with the defence and the shape of the team, and we played out of defence well and passed it well. There is much to be hopeful about based on that game.

Couldn’t watch match because Inlaws.

But it looks like in spite of result and rubs refereeing we played well despite the usual idiotic mistakes one of which cost us the game, and lots of heartening performances.

That’s much better than I expected for a first game playing with no striker against a team that will be challenging for the league this season.

14 minutes ago, badaids said:

Couldn’t watch match because Inlaws.

But it looks like in spite of result and rubs refereeing we played well despite the usual idiotic mistakes one of which cost us the game, and lots of heartening performances.

That’s much better than I expected for a first game playing with no striker against a team that will be challenging for the league this season.

On that showing, Chelsea won't be challenging for the league this season.

I feel like we’ve been robbed of a point. Chelsea clearly the better team, with the refs assists, one of the worst showings from a ref in recent years at Goodison.

Im be used at the way we were set up, Gordon in CF up against two highly experienced CB’s was literally men against a boy, yet we continued to pump the ball up to him to try and win headers, McNeils taller a switch early in first half was needed.

Both teams toothless in attack and a needless mistake cost us the points, however our shape was better, Tarks and Patterson solid PL debuts, McNeil not so much. Add a proper CF to that team and we’re not too shabby.

2 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Feels weird to say it after a defeat but today's game has made me feel more confident about this season, rather than worried.

Last season after most defeats you'd come away and think what a load of shite that was but today I didn't feel that at all. It was frustrating game, more than anything, because we had plenty of opportunities throughout but we just lacked that bit of cutting edge and composure where it mattered.

Get those ball winners in Onana and Gana, add a striker, and we'll be absolutely fine this season.

I'm optimsitic too but then there will be referees and VAR to screw us.

7 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

I'm optimsitic too but then there will be referees and VAR to screw us.

Looks like we were one of the more unfortunate teams in the league last campaign when it came to VAR decisions, but the year before we benefitted the most.

I'm not buying into the conspiracy haha

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4452736/how-var-decisions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club-in-2021-22

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Alli has to do so much better. That was a big opportunity and they did what they have done all game and just managed us out of it. 

Needed to take it first time. 

overall shit game of football, but we didn’t look too far off the pace of one of the supposed pacesetters. Draw would have been a fair result. 

I thought there were some real positives though.

Iwobi was excellent on the middle. Showed he can receive the ball and work it. Linked up well, it just fell apart up top. But that’s to be expected with me forward.

Both full backs looked good. Patterson took his chance and excelled.

A couple more players and this team starts to look good.

Only just seen match of the day highlights,  more positive attack wise than I expected backed up by the 3.2ExG to their 1.4.

As expected our problem was a lack of front man. There were chances there that weren't taken and other moments where a centre forward could have caused more trouble for the centre backs.

I even think we'd have benefited from having Rondon up there, even if just for a portion of the game.

Desperately need someone else before next week.

22 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Feels weird to say it after a defeat but today's game has made me feel more confident about this season, rather than worried.

Last season after most defeats you'd come away and think what a load of shite that was but today I didn't feel that at all. It was frustrating game, more than anything, because we had plenty of opportunities throughout but we just lacked that bit of cutting edge and composure where it mattered.

Get those ball winners in Onana and Gana, add a striker, and we'll be absolutely fine this season.

It's even weirder if you compare this game with the start of last season. We won some of the early games against lower opposition, but only just. Then, I was left with the feeling that we played poorly. Here we are starting the new season with a loss yet I felt we deserved more from the game - and we were playing without a recognized striker and suffered two early injuries. I agree with you: We're going to be just fine this season. Indeed, I would venture to say that we might even make it to the top half of the table.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

It's even weirder if you compare this game with the start of last season. We won some of the early games against lower opposition, but only just. Then, I was left with the feeling that we played poorly. Here we are starting the new season with a loss yet I felt we deserved more from the game - and we were playing without a recognized striker and suffered two early injuries. I agree with you: We're going to be just fine this season. Indeed, I would venture to say that we might even make it to the top half of the table.

Cornish, don't carried away la.