IGNORED

Seamus Coleman

scouse

17 hours ago, London Blue said:

He is a proud man and loves playing for his country, cant begrudge anyone that. Something to be admired, brings the club to peoples attention and raises its profile. 

McCarthy is different, as others have said he played while injred and ignored medical advice.

Is there actually any evidence that McCarthy ignored medical advice or is it just hearsay?

Hopefully Coleman does better against Ronaldo in the league than he did for the 2nd goal. I don't expect him to be able to win the header, but he put him under next to no pressure whatsoever!

Not what you expect from your captain in the last moments, trying to defend a lead. He is a tenacious bastard as well, so I imagine he struggling physically at the end of the game.

4 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Players have talked about how Rafa is helping them improve their game by telling them how he wants them to play. Maybe the same will happen with Jonjoe.

I’ve written him off but share the same hope - Jonjoe clearly loves the club so if an opportunity arises (which is very likely), between now and January/end of season, then I’d be delighted if he could prove many of us wrong.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

There were loads of reports in the press at the time that showed he was not fit for Everton but went and played for Ireland. I think the respective managers had a shouting match about it.

I remember Keane having a ding dong with someone about McCarthy being fit enough to play, but I don't actually remember there being anything factual about him playing or being forced to play when he wasn't fit. 

It is one of them things that people have said enough that means it must be true, but isn't necessarily.

14 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I remember Keane having a ding dong with someone about McCarthy being fit enough to play, but I don't actually remember there being anything factual about him playing or being forced to play when he wasn't fit. 

It is one of them things that people have said enough that means it must be true, but isn't necessarily.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/another-club-versus-country-row-brewing-between-everton-and-ireland-over-james-mccarthy-35555210.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/koeman-oneill-ireland-everton-mccarthy-11247434

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/ireland-everton-feud-does-nothing-for-james-mccarthy-1.3031343

Loads more out there.

2 hours ago, c1982 said:

I have/had the feeling that he’d be rested against Burnley regardless. Maybe even Holgate or Godfrey getting the nod to counter their aerial  threat.

Yeah that’s why I suggested Godfrey at RB.

I can see Patto’s point. He’s our only decent RB, who’s been injury prone so we kind of need to wrap him in cotton wool a bit which is the opposite of this.

Will never begrudge a player representing their country but we need him fit for 90% of the games

3 hours ago, patto said:

It’s not Everton’s fault he got injured he could have had a nice 2 weeks rest. 

Agreed.  Last time I checked we pay Seamus paycheck.  ROI ain’t giving him much of anything money wise.  At his age and injury history it’s just not wise to play for them.  After all we’ve backed him through (broken leg koeman visiting him) you’d think he would think twice about playing qualifiers for a WC he’s not likely to even play in.

On 02/09/2021 at 23:14, London Blue said:

1. "Sources" i.e. means we may have made it up. McCarthy also didn't play that game but he was on the bench. He had a hamstring injury.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39300143

Basically it was a storm in a tea cup. He wasn't fit and didn't play. He also played no part of the other game in that international break.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39339194

He then didn't play international football again until 2020.

2. This one talks about a knee injury. Koeman states:

“If they call James for the Irish national team, then he needs to go because that is a FIFA rule,” he said.

“But his situation I heard from our doctor is that he can be part of the team for training this Friday. But his last game was in July. I think that answers the question."

He didn't play and wasn't on the bench.

3. Mainly in respect of the same game as the first article. It states:

FAI sources have vehemently denied the Everton manager’s claim, in an interview with the Daily Mirror, that O’Neill had ignored not only the advice of the club’s medical staff with regard to McCarthy but also the association’s, describing the allegation as “absolutely and utterly untrue”.

Koeman also makes references to a game being played in June 2016 that "overloaded" the player and yet he started the first two games of the season for us in August. He then got injured again at the end of the month with a groin injury. He did then play again in September when he was missing games for our first team, which is where the main issue lies.

If McCarthy wasn't fit enough to play, he wouldn't have played. He thought he was fit enough, the ROI staff did too but our team doctors didn’t. One of the myths about his injury record is that it was always the same injury that he kept aggravating. A lot of people like to paint this black and white picture as to what happened with McCarthy, but the truth is we do not have a clue. The only bits we know are from the small snippets of interviews with the managers, the rest is hearsay and conjecture.

(PS if this reads like an attack, it isn’t meant to be. I’m having a bad day! 😊 )

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm not sure why Coleman should be expected to retire from doing something he loves, and wants to do, just because we've been so inept at bringing in his replacement over the past few years.

If we hadn't made an absolute mess of that no one would give a shit about him playing for his country.

This.

I do however question the logic of the ROI for playing him in two games in a few days. Everything I have seen from Coleman since his return from injury is that he shouldn't be playing full intensity games on such a quick turnaround.

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

For sure, Holgate will be his backup. IMO, he does a decent job at RB.

Going back to the captaincy discussion for a moment, has Pickford never been considered? I'd say his personality is better suited than that of others on the team.

Pickford of late - perhaps. The Pickford before his new found maturity, no fucking chance. He still needs more time before he is captain. 

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Pickford cannot be captain, it'll undo him. Honestly, if we're looking to the future it has to be a younger player. Godfrey would be my shout, but I'd also try Richie or DCL too. 

I reckon your right about Pickford, too much for him to cope with, Godfrey for the future, and I’d go with DCL over Richie, I’m not sure a moody, sulky captain would be right, Digne may be up for it also.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

I reckon your right about Pickford, too much for him to cope with, Godfrey for the future, and I’d go with DCL over Richie, I’m not sure a moody, sulky captain would be right, Digne may be up for it also.

I think Digne is the right candidate to be honest. Richarlison maybe a sulk but he never stops working, that's why I think he might be capable. 

33 minutes ago, Matt said:

I think Digne is the right candidate to be honest. Richarlison maybe a sulk but he never stops working, that's why I think he might be capable. 

If Richarlison leaves next year as is entirely possible then I'd prefer Lucas or DCL for stability.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I always think good captains lead by example, and Richarlison definitely does that, my problem with him being captain is no one would get a look in at pens and free kicks 😀

2 hours ago, patto said:

He may have had lessons but he doesn’t speak English why do you think there was so much confusion over the penalty just watch no one speaks to him he may have had all good intentions in the beginning. 
Allan seems to be the one organising things on the pitch. 

So because of the penalty you came to the conclusion he doesn’t speak English?

Didnt Allan talk to him about it? Portuguese is both of their native languages, why would they speak English in a heated situation like that?