IGNORED

Muhamed Besic

Louis

He does close down and he is aggressive, can't dispute that.

His stand out moment in an Everton shirt for me was against Spurs, he attempts a 20-30 yard pass. It how straight to a white shirt, he chases down the man with the ball with real aggression, puts in a brilliant tackle to win the ball back. He turns to play a short pass, for straight to another white shirt. It typified him in that minute for me.

Can't fault his attitude, but lacks a lot of quality for me.

I thought most supporters had forgotten we had Besic, he will make an excellent midfielder, either defensive or attacking.

The only problem is his fitness, if he can maintain it he could be a cracking player for us.

The problem at the moment is the the way the team is set up, against some of the weaker sides we have played, it should have been 4-1-4-1, playing two defensive mids only serves to hand the attacking advantage to the opponents.

We have to play two midfielders because they are not individually good enough to protect the back four, not like Keane, Souness or even Carsley could, but Besic might be able to.

We have to be more adventurous and go full pelt to win those games against weaker sides.

Edited by Bill

Exactly Bill we are our own worst enemy with our defensive set up, it's not working we are just bringing teams on to us, then the defence cracks under the constant pressure, let's pick a team that plays more in the opposition's half instead of our own and give ourselves a chance of winning a game, and just as important our battered defence break.

I thought most supporters had forgotten we had Besic, he will make an excellent midfielder, either defensive or attacking.

The only problem is his fitness, if he can maintain it he could be a cracking player for us.

The problem at the moment is the the way the team is set up, against some of the weaker sides we have played, it should have been 4-1-4-1, playing two defensive mids only serves to hand the attacking advantage to the opponents.

We have to play two midfielders because they are not individually good enough to protect the back four, not like Keane, Souness or even Carsley could, but Besic might be able to.

We have to be more adventurous and go full pelt to win those games against weaker sides.

I really don't see Gana as an out-and-out DM, he's very effective going forward and would be more so if the players in front of him were performing better. Besic likewise if he got fit, they're much more forward looking than Barry/McCarthy.

Gana at times has certainly been taking on that box-to-box role. I can't remember which games it's happened in, but we've certainly played with more of a 4-1-4-1 shape a couple of times this season, with Gana pushing on more and Barkley shifted towards the left. I don't think Gana has the goal scoring ability we'd ideally like from a box-to-box mid though.

He does close down and he is aggressive, can't dispute that.

His stand out moment in an Everton shirt for me was against Spurs, he attempts a 20-30 yard pass. It how straight to a white shirt, he chases down the man with the ball with real aggression, puts in a brilliant tackle to win the ball back. He turns to play a short pass, for straight to another white shirt. It typified him in that minute for me.

Can't fault his attitude, but lacks a lot of quality for me.

That's how I remember him to. The other thing is that when he goes charging at the player after giving the ball away, if he doesn't make the tackle, there is a massive hole behind him and we are completely exposed.

Neither him nor Gana should be tasked with trying to score or create goals. They can get box to box for around the box arriving late but you don't want them to be a creative part of your side.

That's what Gana is there for to hold when Besic or some else in that position goes forward, so if breaks down we are not left exposed.

At the moment we are playing very negative football by playing two DM at the same time, we are inviting teams on to us and struggle to get forward with any real purpose by leaving Lukaku to isolated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He played in a back 3 for his old club and quite often for his country.

Perhaps we should consider him as a left centre back ourselves. He has pace to burn and is strong in the tackle but his passing game leaves lots to be desired.

Maybe next season - we may see a cameo or 2 this season but the rehabilitation on a cruciate injury can take months.