IGNORED

MFK Ružomberok (Away) [Europa League Qualifier Second Leg] Thursday August 3rd

markjazzbassist

Thank fuck for that! Found that hard to enjoy.

We did what we have to do. But with just one friendly and a opener against Stoke to cone before we hit a 4 game run of City, United, Chelsea and Spurs...we have work to do!!!

Struck me tonight that Baines was the only natural wide man out there tonight. All the others are central players by nature. Until Kev came on of course.

Keep at it lads. Need to click asap.

Slow, boring at times, frustrating but a massively important result and another good work out for the players against opposition which was no match quality wise but the effort and energy they put into that was commendable.

Positives for me were Keane, Pickford, Klaassen, DCL and Davies. The balance doesn't look right but that could equally be down to match sharpness - Sunday will be a big game to sort a few bits out looking forward to Stoke.

Edited by c1982

Jeez guys. It's still pre-season for us. Some of the players have barely been training for over a week.

Ruzomberok are a couple of weeks into their season now and are putting their full strength side against our experimental line up.

We were always going to coast through these games. Ruzomberok offered no threat what-so-ever. We got through doing as little work as possible in a fixture that is notorious for screwing up people's pre-season plans.

We have a game again on Sunday against a much better side. There will be more chopping and changing in that game too.

It's completely up in the air what Koeman will put out against Stoke but I guarantee it will be on a whole different level of performance when the league starts.

Literally bickering online over a bloody pre-season game, it's ridiculous. It's like the RS thinking they'll win the league after beating someone in pre-season.

Exactly. I didn't think we were that bad considering.

Though I think Matt is right, we are screaming out for a target man....Giroud?

Really tired but in a nutshell it's job done. Rozemberok parked the bus for 170 minutes (which they are well within their rights to do) and it obviously made it hard for us to break them down. As it happened we limited them to very little chances over the two legs and got the two goals to see us through, the second coming as soon as they came out of their shells and attacked us. Had they done that from the off then we may well have had the four and five-nil's that everyone was predicting.

We're into the hat for the next round now which takes place tomorrow, hopefully we get an easy tie again so that we can get into the group stage. Things are coming together nicely when you consider that this is still pre-season.

You mean the season we scored the most Premier League goals out of all Everton seasons in the last 21 years? FFS.

Tell ya what.... do a search for "toothless" in this forum and look at the dates...

FFS indeed.

"We need a number 10"...."no pace".....

Ah but let's rewrite history and pretend everything was tickety boo because we had a striker who could finish chances when put on a plate for him.

We've been toothless because we haven't had any intelligent movement and interplay upfront for so long, we been toothless because we've had one player who is creative without being intelligent with one player in front of him who can't make good runs. We've been toothless because we lost the ball so often in transitional phases of play.

End of.

Edited by Hafnia

Gueye and Schneiderlin should be either/or, not both. They seem to pull down each other's contributions, somehow.

Davies and Sandro are live wires. Bring on DCL because we need a target.

Hate to say it, but Rooney does not fit in well. We'd do better without him on the field.

After a full game, I'll stick with my earlier comments. The only things to add are (i) DCL did the job, and (ii) Mirallas adds little value.

The biggest decision Koeman has to make is what to do with Wayne Rooney. A great start would be realizing that Rooney should not be an automatic starter. He needs to fit the team structure and strategy, not the other way around. Actually, I think it would help him a lot, and take the pressure off him, if he weren't an automatic starter. His move to Everton may be a great business decision, but it should not dictate how we play. Right now, for whatever reason, it's not working. (I realize it's too soon to be definitive about this, but the warning signs are there.)

He's so so selfish. There are times when it's needed, but not when the angle is as tight as that.

At that stage of the game it was worth a go, I said to Josh he's going to put it in the top corner; obviously he didn't but we had nothing to lose.

Tell ya what.... do a search for "toothless" in this forum and look at the dates...

FFS indeed.

"We need a number 10"...."no pace".....

Ah but let's rewrite history and pretend everything was tickety boo because we had a striker who could finish chances when put on a plate for him.

We've been toothless because we haven't had any intelligent movement and interplay upfront for so long, we been toothless because we've had one player who is creative without being intelligent with one player in front of him who can't make good runs. We've been toothless because we lost the ball so often in transitional phases of play.

End of.

obsessed

Anyone convincing themselves that this game wasn't poor or that it's only preseason needs to wake up a little because performances in preseason are a precursor for the real thing. Our best preseason in recent years resulted in our best ever Prem points tally. Last season we sharpened up a little but soon dipped back to preseason levels. Soton also struggled in the first half of the season when they had the UEFA qualifiers under Koeman.

In terms of tonight, it was poor. We played a bang average side with a dodgy keeper and posted maybe 2 or 3 shots on target. Koeman said we would be sharper but we were worse. It was the worst cross between Moyes and Martinez, lots of negative possession.

Pickford was a positive, Williams much better, Keane classy again. Baines solid, Davies solid but completely wasted. Jags ok, but looked rusty.

I thought Schneiderlin was poor tonight, again Gana did well defensively but he was poor offensively. Klaasen was barely involved, Rooney was poor and Sandro showed why I warned you all not to get too carried away byour that video. Playing under pressure is a different kettle of fish.

I'm so glad DCL came on. He showed how much we missed Lukaku because he was a presence. He could beat them in the air, with his pace or by dropping deep and running at them. Rooney and Sandro were talking one good touch then a poor one but largely it was backwards or to the corner.

Klaassen was completely wasted. He is clearly a box to box man, not wide. He should have been playing alongside Gana or Schneiderlin and then we needed some pace on the right.

Rooney looked like the UTD player of the last 6 months. I can see a bit of promise but he looked like a 50 year old in the second half.

We really need to step it up, and we may well do it but I'm not convinced yet.