rubecula

Should we sack Koeman?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sack Koeman?

• yes
    • no
    • don't know
    • not yet, give him a while
  2. 2. who would replace him if we sack him?

• Promote from within.
    • someone from elsewhere
    • Answered no to the first question so not relevant

15 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If you watch him on the touchline you can see him telling him what he wants, and it's not what they're giving. So why does he play the wrong players and/or formation that makes it nigh on impossible for them to do what he wants? :huh:

Every game almost we're making wholesale changes at half time mate, everyone sees the problem- too many similar players in the front line, them falling over each other almost, players played out of position it's just crazy.

If we'd shown flashes of brilliance here and there or had a half where we looked fantastic- a glimmer of what he was trying to achieve then fair enough but it's the same thing regurgitated every week

He needs to start changing it around or things will get ugly quickly for him.

Square pegs round holes 

The man needs to realise the lads he's putting out won't work in the system he's insisting on trying to make work 

Play Vlasic and Lookman out wide give us some width and something  the central and forward players to work off 

Rooney offers nigh on fuck all as it is, will he in a different system I'm doubtful tbh 

i'm beginning to wonder if moshiri is making him start rooney for the marketing and stuff.  if you remove wayne from the lineup and put in a Vlasic/DCL/etc it would work.  instead wayne drops deep leaving the striker open, takes the same spaces as all are CM and gylfi, and loses the ball and makes bad passes.  But he still keeps going with Wayne, no idea why.  just drop rooney.

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

If you watch him on the touchline you can see him telling him what he wants, and it's not what they're giving. So why does he play the wrong players and/or formation that makes it nigh on impossible for them to do what he wants? :huh:

Exactly this!  

It started in the summer, buying too many too similar players. He then shoehorns them into positions where they don't play their best, into a formation which plays to their weaknesses and leaves out the ones that do fit into his system. 

After the match he was pissed off that we played backwards too often and not into the channels. When you have Rooney, Siggy and Sandro in the same side that isn't going to happen. Only Sandro has the pace to play down the channels but he likes to come short and he doesn't have the strength to hold the ball and bring others into play. The players are playing it backwards because there is no width, and therefore no space in the middle of the field to play a pass, combined with no-one in the side that is suited to run a channel.

I think he is a poor tactician, far worse than Martinez and maybe even Moyes. At least with Moyes you knew what the plan was. 

It is annoying me now that he is having a pop at the players for not doing what he asked when what he wants isn't possible.

36 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'm beginning to wonder if moshiri is making him start rooney for the marketing and stuff.  if you remove wayne from the lineup and put in a Vlasic/DCL/etc it would work.  instead wayne drops deep leaving the striker open, takes the same spaces as all are CM and gylfi, and loses the ball and makes bad passes.  But he still keeps going with Wayne, no idea why.  just drop rooney.

Koeman wouldn't take that for 1 second. This is all on Koeman.

I just stumbled on an old MNF video of Henry talking about Pep's system at Barca (if you type Henry MNF Barca Pep ito the first video I think -7mins).

The interesting thing about the video is that it talks about player positioning and where and when they were given freedom. The gist is that in the first 2 3rds of the pitch, the players had to stay in position. Henry playing as a left winger had to stay wide, Messi playing on the other side did the same and that gave the 3 in the middle all the time and space they needed to either pick passes or move into space themselves. Once the players got into the final third, they were then basically allowed to get in the box, drift inside etc. Defenders where the spread across the pitch, and along with midfield runners from deep it couled create havoc. You create 2 v 1s regularly or leave someone in space.

This is the opposite of us. We are all clumped together in one square of the pitch meaning 4 or 5 players can be marked by 2 or 3 defenders. It's madness.

I'd like to see managers given time, more so when so many new players have been introduced to the first team. Both in general and ours.

But if he continues to play so narrow, the results will get him tossed way before I decide it's time.  How many times already this season have we seen our side improve when he abandoned his original plan.

6 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I disagree. The problems are much bigger than one player. Gana and Schneiderlin in midfield means there is just nowhere near enough ability on the ball to feed the front three. I mean Gana looked like he was playing the playmaker role in the first half last night, just ridiculous. He plays Sigurdsson as one of a front three - just a complete waste, leaving us with no pace and no out ball.

The whole system is just wrong. Every game at the moment, I look at the starting line up and know we won't win. I just don't understand how Koeman doesn't see it. 

I'd go with the following the next game, Gana and Schneiderlin just don't fit together especially with both playing deep, although I love Gueye's energy etc Schneiderlin has more about his game and his range of passing is massively underused in the current set up, break up play spray it around with pace out wide and upfront 

We all know what Sigurdsson can offer given the freedom and space so he'll be able to roam create and pepper goalkeepers

------------------Schneiderlin 

Lookman--------Davies---------Vlasic

-------------------Sigurdsson 

------------------DCL/Sandro 

5 hours ago, hafnia said:

Koeman is in a very similar scenario to Martinez.  He is sticking to something that hasn't worked and never Will work. 

He has backed himself too high and will not change.  Earning a shed load of money supports that. 

Fwiw I thought Martinez started to fail as soon as he did start changing his ways.

12 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

I'd go with the following the next game, Gana and Schneiderlin just don't fit together especially with both playing deep, although I love Gueye's energy etc Schneiderlin has more about his game and his range of passing is massively underused in the current set up, break up play spray it around with pace out wide and upfront 

We all know what Sigurdsson can offer given the freedom and space so he'll be able to roam create and pepper goalkeepers

I totally agreed this formation and every evertonian like this lineup, but Koeman would never change his plan, he won't give up starting Rooney / Klaasson and that's why he should be sacked

20 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

DC-L 'and' Sandro, please - not 'or'.

I'd like to see...

Mirallas - Davies - Gana - Vlasic

----------------- Sigurdsson -------------

------------------------DCL--------------------

I'm not a huge fan of Mirallas but just think he'll feel he'll have something to prove which will be to our benefit.

I'd have Lookman on the bench and be making sure he gets game time. We need to play 4-5-1 and stick to it for 9-10 games - yes we're over stocked in positions but make players earn it rather than fitting players in that don't fit. Get the set-up right and the right players will pick themselves.

31 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I'd like to see...

Mirallas - Davies - Gana - Vlasic

----------------- Sigurdsson -------------

------------------------DCL--------------------

I'm not a huge fan of Mirallas but just think he'll feel he'll have something to prove which will be to our benefit.

I'd have Lookman on the bench and be making sure he gets game time. We need to play 4-5-1 and stick to it for 9-10 games - yes we're over stocked in positions but make players earn it rather than fitting players in that don't fit. Get the set-up right and the right players will pick themselves.

Imagine if we adopted the Koeman style of management to cricket: We have one spin bowler, three fast bowlers, three all-rounders, two opening batsmen, three middle-order batsmen, and five wicket-keepers. Hmm. I paid a lot for those wicket-keepers, so they must play. Should I make one of them a fast bowler? Or maybe one of them can spin bowl. No - let me put three of them behind the wicket, two in the slips, and do without fast bowlers. And I'll make one of my fast bowlers a spinner.

I'm finding it increasingly difficult to say anything in favour of the manager, not only has he consistently blamed the players and more recently the whole team, does he think that by saying this the players will suddenly respect him and play open attacking football.

Not only is he choosing the wrong players to play the system he insists on playing, but also not playing the players who have warranted a start.  The biggest criticism I have about him is that he didn't  bring in the most obvious players we needed.  A top striker was the first one he should have brought in, and it should have been before he sold our striker. Another need was to strengthen the defence in the LB position, and an extra CH,  at the moment we have the worst back four We've had for years and if Baines gets injured we are in serious trouble, unable to score at one end and unable to prevent them at the other end.

I don't mind losing the odd game as long as you can see that they are playing well and having a go, but this manager has done none of those things yet.

He will have to get it right very soon or I would like to see a managerial change.

What concerns me more is his reluctance or inability to see that it's not working, so we keep seeing the same dross week in week out.

He needs to start the game against Burnley with the formation that we normally revert to in the second half of most games, if we see more of the usual starting set up we need the board to put an end to this farce.

I've no doubt we will probably finish seventh again this season but the gulf between sixth will be bigger and eighth will be closer, which I will consider a huge failure.

57 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You'd think even the Express would employ journalists who are passably literate:rolleyes:.

"Koeman was forced to defend himself after this side could only scrape a 2-2 draw 10 man Apollon Limassol in the Europa League on Thursday night....

But three defeats in their opening six games and left Everton hoovering just above the relegation zone..."