IGNORED

Summer Transfer Window

Aidan

Posting this after the Arsenal loss.  Hope we:

1. Don’t sign Sidibé.  Stick with Kenny and Coleman for ‘20-21.

2. Sign Baines for another season.  Stick with Digne and Baines.

3. Sell Keane if possible, sign 1-2 CHs.  At least one is high priority.

4. Maybe keep one of Delph/Schneiderlin strictly as backup, but not both.  Gomes and JPB in midfield to start season.  Davies also backup.

5. Start Bernard at LW.  Iwobi as backup mostly.

6. Sign new RW, high priority.  Walcott has one more year, use as sub mostly.  For heaven’s sake, don’t offer to extend his stay here.

7. Stick with our 3 strikers.  Maybe sign a 4th?

8. If possible, sell any/all of Keane, Delph, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Walcott.

11 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

4. Maybe keep one of Delph/Schneiderlin strictly as backup, but not both.  Gomes and JPB in midfield to start season.  Davies also backup.

6. Sign new RW, high priority.  Walcott has one more year, use as sub mostly.  For heaven’s sake, don’t offer to extend his stay here.

8. If possible, sell any/all of Keane, Delph, Schneiderlin, Sigurdsson, Walcott.

Pretty much agree with all this, No8 is as obvious as it could be. I’m not convinced with Mina either, would like us to buy two CH, an experienced one to play alongside Holgate and one as back up.

12 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Coleman is finished, we need a top right back. 

Get rid of Keane, gylfi. Morgan, Walcott, Delph, £40m tops. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Coleman is finished, we need a top right back. 

Get rid of Keane, gylfi. Morgan, Walcott, Delph, £40m tops. 

Agreed but we're not in a position to fix all of our problems in one window. Especially considering how many we created in past ones. RB is a priority but I'd put CB, CM and RM above it. 

Going back to Marcel's direct quotes on having a squad of 23 players. 3 gks 8 def 6 mid 6 fwd.

GK: Pickford, Lossl, JVirginia - good number
DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny NEED CB and LB
MID: Delph, Gylfi, Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies - good number
FWD: Richarlison, Walcott, Iwobi, Bernard, DCL, Kean - good number
Deadwood: Tosun, Bolasie, Sandro, Pennington, Connolly, Beni, Dowell

My ideal activity: Buy new CB, Sell Keane and promote Lewis Gibson, resign Baines. Sell Gylfi and buy a more defensive mid replacement (so delph doesn't sniff the field), sell Morgan and keep Besic (not sure who we would buy and convince to be our 6th option/cover in midfield). Sell Walcott and buy replacement. Sell other deadwood. We could raise about 60-70mil in selling those players and would be spending about 100-120mil on a CB, DM and RM. 

i like this game

GK: Pickford, Lossl, JVirginia
DEF: Holgate, Keane, Digne, Mina, Coleman, Kenny, Baines
MID: Morgan, Andre, Gbamin, Davies
FWD: Richarlison, Walcott, Bernard, DCL, Kean
Sell: Tosun, Bolasie, Sandro, Pennington, Connolly, Dowell, Iwobi, Delph, Gylfi

New CB RW LW CM would be my choices.  That is 23.

In theory it all sounds well and good until we realise nobody wants to buy our players.

For me creativity and goals from midfield is our biggest downfall at the minute and we need a wide player we can rely on as a priority. Bernard looks wonderful some games but his return is awful and he can't see out 90 minutes. Iwobi isn't the answer and Walcott is trash. 

On 24/02/2020 at 22:50, Aidan said:

In theory it all sounds well and good until we realise nobody wants to buy our players.

For me creativity and goals from midfield is our biggest downfall at the minute and we need a wide player we can rely on as a priority. Bernard looks wonderful some games but his return is awful and he can't see out 90 minutes. Iwobi isn't the answer and Walcott is trash. 

I think Bernard and Iwobi could be ok from the left. Iwobi needs to up his game but we aren't going to write him off after one disjointed season.

We definitely need a centre half, a centre mid and then a right winger. We could probably get by without a full back replacement (assuming Baines stays another year). 

As to who goes, as long as it's not Pickford, Digne, Gomes, Richarlison or Bernard I probably won't lose too much sleep over it.

2 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

What happens if we get offers we can't refuse for players we want to keep? But I trust Marcel and Carlo to have a plan.

I don’t see us selling anyone we don’t want to, and I don’t see any of the starters wanting to leave when they’ve got the chance to be developed by one of the most successful managers in recent times. If there are bids or someone wants to leave, we’ll get every penny’s worth and reinvest it well. 

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

He just signed a new deal.  If they wanna pay 200m sure go ahead.

It would certainly be a chunk of money considering his contract length, the amount we paid for him and his age. 

I can see big clubs being in for him in the summer though. 

out of contract - stek martina niasse baines sidibe (we should re-sign Baines as LB backup)

sell - kenny, gylfi, delph, sandro, tosun, bolasie, besic, dowell, pennington, garbutt, tarashaj

buy - RW, RB, CM, CB

very simple for me.  i'd sell kenny to schalke and get max profit and buy a prem ready RB.  someone who is strong and quick and can defend well and attack.  that's probably the only reason debatable point i think in my plan.

8 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i'd sell Kenny to schalke and get max profit and buy a prem ready RB.  someone who is strong and quick and can defend well and attack.  that's probably the only reason debatable point i think in my plan.

Your talking about Kenny then Mark, we already have who your describing.

55 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's small and weak bill, he is playing in a weak league, i very much doubt he will be an above average RB in the premier league.

Leighton Baines is 5'7" (two inches smaller) and you couldn't describe him as "strong" I don't think but he's managed OK in the PL (and for England) for the last decade plus. Wing back has no need to be big and strong, needs to be quick and clever. Not saying Jonjoe is necessarily the man for the job but your reasons for writing him off are wide of the mark imo.

56 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

he's small and weak bill, he is playing in a weak league, i very much doubt he will be an above average RB in the premier league.

Without giving him a chance after his loan gaining experience is shortsighted. With the importance we have placed in the academy we have to give players a chance, especially when they have done well in one of the better leagues in Europe. Not to give him a chance to impress under Carlo would be waiting tens of millions of pounds that could be better spent on other areas of the squad, like right wing, centre back, centre midfield.

It would also make it harder for us to attract or develop young players if they feel that they will not get a chance to prove themselves in the first team, especially when they have earnt it.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

out of contract - stek martina niasse baines sidibe (we should re-sign Baines as LB backup)

sell - kenny, gylfi, delph, sandro, tosun, bolasie, besic, dowell, pennington, garbutt, tarashaj

buy - RW, RB, CM, CB

very simple for me.  i'd sell kenny to schalke and get max profit and buy a prem ready RB.  someone who is strong and quick and can defend well and attack.  that's probably the only reason debatable point i think in my plan.

Baines and Sidibe will stay. Kenny will be loaned out again but won’t be sold. Unfortunately neither will Delph. Agree with the rest. 

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

buy - RW, RB, CM, CB

Ha ha if only Marcel Brands was on this forum! He has been trying to sell Tosun, Bolasie and Besic since he has been here and can’t even give away Sandro, Dowell, Pennington, Garbutt and Tarashaj , Gylfi is 30 and on around £200k a week, so I do think it’s quite as simple as you think!

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Leighton Baines is 5'7" (two inches smaller) and you couldn't describe him as "strong" I don't think but he's managed OK in the PL (and for England) for the last decade plus. Wing back has no need to be big and strong, needs to be quick and clever. Not saying Jonjoe is necessarily the man for the job but your reasons for writing him off are wide of the mark imo.

baines has muscle mass and is strong on the ball, he's able to box out his man and make a clearance.  kenny looks like he needs to eat a cuppla extra meals because he's so thin.  not much muscle there.  needs to hit the weights.

1 minute ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Ha ha if only Marcel Brands was on this forum! He has been trying to sell Tosun, Bolasie and Besic since he has been here and can’t even give away Sandro, Dowell, Pennington, Garbutt and Tarashaj , Gylfi is 30 and on around £200k a week, so I do think it’s quite as simple as you think!

i should have prefaced this is in a perfect world.  i realize a good amount of the sell department will sadly be loaned out again.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

He has struggled defensively in the BL, tho. Decent going forward but not so when defending. 

17 hours ago, Makis said:

He has struggled defensively in the BL, tho. Decent going forward but not so when defending. 

I think he has done pretty well defensively throughout his career personally. There aren't many better defenders at full back over that period anyway.

On Kenny, I think he is a good defender, it's the footballing side of his game that's the question mark.

• 2 weeks later...

We absolutely have to look for a new right back. Teams are actually targeting us there now.

We also have to have either a pacy box to box midfielder, or a Gana type that can read the midfield. At the moment we are done if anyone hits us with pace, or plays a ball through the middle of the park. 

11 minutes ago, Shukes said:

We absolutely have to look for a new right back. Teams are actually targeting us there now.

We also have to have either a pacy box to box midfielder, or a Gana type that can read the midfield. At the moment we are done if anyone hits us with pace, or plays a ball through the middle of the park. 

We'd be roasted every week with him and Sidibe leaving gaps, there's barely a football braincell between them. 

Whoever we sign we actually need to compete a full season. None of this bullshit 'transitional phase' that we've permanently been in but not moved forward with since Mosh came in. 

I'm tired of writing off seasons by November. No more excuses. 

18 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The penny is never going to drop is it ?

You were probs one of the ones to laugh when I said Holgate and DCL should be starting and players like Sigurdssen and Keane dropped, oh and that Sidibe is my 'new Gana'. But you keep looking at that penny on the floor rather than seeing the bigger picture. 

2 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You were probs one of the ones to laugh when I said Holgate and DCL should be starting and players like Sigurdssen and Keane dropped, oh and that Sidibe is my 'new Gana'. But you keep looking at that penny on the floor rather than seeing the bigger picture. 

Not at all

Admittedly I do laugh at most of your posts  but I've  always strongly backed DCL, fair enough  I’m pleasantly surprised by the progress Holgate has made 

I have never been convinced by Keane from the moment Lukaku done him so easily at Goodison in his Burnley days

Every man and his dog knows that Siggy has no place in a 4-4-2 
Even after today you can’t see what Gana brought to the side and you obviously never will

You have proven time and again that you wouldn’t recognise a good footballer even if he kicked you in the bollocks ( Baines, Piennar, Jagielka) so forgive me if I don’t rate your judgment