IGNORED

Anthony Gordon

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

This whole situation makes me despise our owner and board even more.

I’m not sold on Gordon or overly convinced he’ll be a brilliant player, he’s definitely only potential at the moment. If not for the gross mismanagement of those in charge he’d be allowed the time and space to grow here to see if he could be the player some believe he will be.

Instead, it looks like we’ll be selling him in order to bring other players into the side despite already bringing in £60m for Richarlison. This mess is on them and they should be ashamed of what they’ve done to this club.

I’m pretty worried about where goals and creativity are going to come from this season. We may not have lost a lot of goals with Richarlison going but they were important goals. And I’d expect Gordon’s assist and goals output to improve this season with more experience in the tank. We’ve not brought any goals or creativity into the side. I’m not convinced by McNeil at all - he’s been poor in both games so far and needs to improve massively.

It’s going to be a big couple of weeks for Thelwell and Lampard.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Richalison sale was needed to cover mistakes of the past. We somehow have to underline this and try and move on in the faith that lessons have be learnt, and the new football management side will be given appropriate time to come good. (only time will tell)

The past isn't on Thelwell and Lampard.

They have to start with a clean slate and this is only their first transfer window and up to now seem to have had to be clever and find the right deals for us with regard to the structure of payments. This can't be idea, as sounds like some deals may have got away from us.

They have a big decision to make with regard to Gordon  - do they take the money that will give them a bit more leverage to bring in players  (and better player than maybe they where considering yesterday) either in the next fortnight or even in January, or do they hang on to him and hope he does kick on this year.

I think what we all want is that it is Thelwell and Lampard that have the final say on this.

If Chelsea are that keen, then there is always January or next summer, if we don't think we can utilise this money in the next fortnight.

6 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

They have to start with a clean slate and this is only their first transfer window and up to now seem to have had to be clever and find the right deals for us with regard to the structure of payments. This can't be idea, as sounds like some deals may have got away from us.

Nothing new, exactly how the club have structured deals for decades and how almost all deals are done. Structured payments is just the norm, the only difference now is it seems to be report (leaked to the press) more often. 

I think they’ve made a decent start though. 

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

Nothing new, exactly how the club have structured deals for decades and how almost all deals are done. Structured payments is just the norm, the only difference now is it seems to be report (leaked to the press) more often. 

I think they’ve made a decent start though. 

I realise deals are structured over a contract in whatever way you manage to negosiate them , but reading lots of articles on lots for different players, it sounded like if there was a large upfront cost in this financial year for a particulr purchase, it has simply restricted us. A £50m sale in this financial year removes much of this restriction in this window

32 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Unfortunately, it sounds like the Richalison sale was needed to cover mistakes of the past. We somehow have to underline this and try and move on in the faith that lessons have be learnt, and the new football management side will be given appropriate time to come good. (only time will tell)

The past isn't on Thelwell and Lampard.

They have a big decision to make with regard to Gordon  - do they take the money that will give them a bit more leverage to bring in players  (and better player than maybe they where considering yesterday) either in the next fortnight or even in January, or do they hang on to him and hope he does kick on this year.

I think what we all want is that it is Thelwell and Lampard that have the final say on this.

If Chelsea are that keen, then there is always January or next summer, if we don't think we can utilise this money in the next fortnight.

I haven’t criticised Thelwell or Lampard.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I haven’t criticised Thelwell or Lampard.

I know, I was just expanding. 

Just highlighting that the Richy sale money covers past errors, and is not a windfall for this season that helps the Thelwell/lampard regime with some extra spends. However, I would like to think a Gordon sale would be considered a additional windfall over normal revenues that could also be spent on players.

Given that we are moving in the transfer market this summer (much more than we did last year), is maybe more because we have got closer to an acceptable even keel with our income and spends for the coming season.

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I know, I was just expanding. 

Just highlighting that the Richy sale money covers past errors, and is not a windfall for this season that helps the Thelwell/lampard regime with some extra spends. However, I would like to think a Gordon sale would be considered a additional windfall over normal revenues that could also be spent on players.

Given that we are moving in the transfer market this summer (much more than we did last year), is maybe more because we have got closer to an acceptable even keel with our income and spends for the coming season.

I think we are over simplifying here. The Richie sale did provide a windfall as it helped to provide an injection of cash over and above his book value which helped the 3yr (or 4 with covid) running total. So yes it's part of a prior years accounts but still factors into this season due to how FFP works. The Esk is a great source on this topic IMO.

As I've explained before, multitude of other things go Into what extra we do (or do not have) such as removal of a lot of wages, better sponsorship offset by a "good year" being removed from FFP.

selling folks in this Fiscal helps drive confidence to FA that we won't be in the same situation come next May/June.

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'll be amazed if Chelsea offer £50m for Anthony Gordon. Remember: they paid £48m for Raheem Sterling.

Fees are just a headline on any transfer. Sterling has and will cost Chelsea much more than Gordon over the course of the initial contract; Sterling’s wages, signing on fee, agent fees and any other admin fees will be huge - factor in that this could be Sterling’s last ‘big money’ move whereas there’s potential resale value on Gordon, barring injury, regardless of how he performs. I think we could get more than £50m personally and, as much as I would love Gordon to become a legend here, it’d be bonkers to turn down.

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

This whole situation makes me despise our owner and board even more.

I’m not sold on Gordon or overly convinced he’ll be a brilliant player, he’s definitely only potential at the moment. If not for the gross mismanagement of those in charge he’d be allowed the time and space to grow here to see if he could be the player some believe he will be.

Instead, it looks like we’ll be selling him in order to bring other players into the side despite already bringing in £60m for Richarlison. This mess is on them and they should be ashamed of what they’ve done to this club.

I’m pretty worried about where goals and creativity are going to come from this season. We may not have lost a lot of goals with Richarlison going but they were important goals. And I’d expect Gordon’s assist and goals output to improve this season with more experience in the tank. We’ve not brought any goals or creativity into the side. I’m not convinced by McNeil at all - he’s been poor in both games so far and needs to improve massively.

It’s going to be a big couple of weeks for Thelwell and Lampard.

Exactly my thoughts, fans lash out at the symptoms of mismanagement I.e. James Rodriguez being jettisoned, Richarlison being sold but not replaced, no viable striker option etc etc

a group of fans protest against the board and it’s called kopite behaviour. People need to realise that we were inches away from having to do this rebuild in the championship with no ability to pay wages for Dwight McNeil - never mind sign him. 

no doubt when we do sign someone after selling Gordon there will be news that kenwright was front and centre of negotiations and did a great job

7 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

I think we are over simplifying here. The Richie sale did provide a windfall as it helped to provide an injection of cash over and above his book value which helped the 3yr (or 4 with covid) running total. So yes it's part of a prior years accounts but still factors into this season due to how FFP works. The Esk is a great source on this topic IMO.

As I've explained before, multitude of other things go Into what extra we do (or do not have) such as removal of a lot of wages, better sponsorship offset by a "good year" being removed from FFP.

selling folks in this Fiscal helps drive confidence to FA that we won't be in the same situation come next May/June.

yes, I know all that about FFP and three years rolling account etc. But we HAD to sell Richy because we had gone beyond our limits in previous years, otherwise this coming year 'income' would have already spoken for and not room for incoming transfers. Put it this way if we had operated within FFP, we could have dug our heels in and not sold Richy before 1st July.  

My assumption is now that this summers spending on transfer fees and wages over players contracts - is within our on going affordability based on expected normal annual revenue streams what ever they maybe. Richy had to be sold at the time he was sold for us to get on this more even keel. i.e we would still be operating in significant debt in to this financial year that would hamstring us in our spending or possibly had our knuckles wrapped by the PL. 

Any potential sale of Gordan is totally different -  we have the choice, we simply keep him if it is our best interested or we sell and have all the 'extra' revenue available for other or better quality signings as we move forward so its a 'windfall' above our normal operating revenues needed to met FFP .  

Had a shufti on some Chelsea forums, was wondering what they think.

They seem split, half happy to take a 40m plus punt on a hard working winger even if it’s a ridic fee, the other half thinks it’s pure bonkers when they need a striker.

The general atmos is that they can get rid of a few players in exchange, he’s better than Hudson-Odoi, and he’ll likely play at Right WB as he works hard and less pressure to contribute goals.

16 minutes ago, badaids said:

They seem split, half happy to take a 40m plus punt on a hard working winger even if it’s a ridic fee, the other half thinks it’s pure bonkers when they need a striker.

The general atmos is that they can get rid of a few players in exchange, he’s better than Hudson-Odoi, and he’ll likely play at Right WB as he works hard and less pressure to contribute goals.

Gordon works hard??

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It’s happening then imo.  Otherwise we would have shut it down and allowed the player to settle and focus on with his Everton season. 

generally it makes sense, if Broja is our main target then it allows lampard to get a player in that we need plus we will likely get some serious spending power with the 100% profit. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

I honestly don't get any of this. None of it makes sense. 

In what way? 

if it’s because he is one of our better players with top potential and who top clubs want for a good reason…. Then yeah I’m with you. 

but I’m also looking at our team with one striker who is injured and who hasn’t played any consistently good football in over a year with a player who couldn’t outrun me as the backup.  If the numbers are right then Anthony Gordon will be another in the long line of Jeffers, Rooney, Rodwell, Arteta, Stones, lescott, etc whos sale was necessary due to piss poor ownership/running. 

Just now, Matt said:

He runs a lot I'll give him that, but he's a ball chaser rather than a worker. Richarlison was a worker, Gordon isn't at the moment 

Yeah there is something that smacks of  “I’m doing this run around at top speed to get some applause and gratitude” ….. then he doesn’t when he should. Richarlison was consistent. 

5 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Yeah there is something that smacks of  “I’m doing this run around at top speed to get some applause and gratitude” ….. then he doesn’t when he should. Richarlison was consistent. 

I think it's a genuine desire to help and work rather than attention seeking, it's just inexperience and not knowing how to apply it properly. Makes sense with him being a local lad and only 50 appearances to be fair, but still doesn't really qualify as hard working for me, yet. 

1 hour ago, badaids said:

They obviously haven’t watched him. 
I love those bursting runs into tackles he does…. But it’s 10% of a game. And it fools some fans. 
But he isn’t a hard working defensive winger. He literally stands there and watches players run past him.

22 minutes ago, badaids said:

As others said he does run around a lot, whether it’s effective or not pff… I dunno. 

On the other hand he does drift in and out of games.

23 minutes ago, badaids said:

As others said he does run around a lot, whether it’s effective or not pff… I dunno. 

On the other hand he does drift in and out of games.

Which is why Chelsea have bid £45 million for him....