IGNORED

James Tarkowski

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Btw - when I said chief scout I wasn’t meaning you palf! Sorrry! 😂

😂 when you said TT scouts not sure who you referring to, thought we were all getting tarred with the same brush, obviously I've miss interpreted, sorry mate. Didn't want the TT chief's scout job anyway 😂

14 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Here's where I glaze over...

How can the percentile of defensive aerials won be a different number than the defensive aerials won % (for both of them)?

the “aerials won” percentile is a ranking of how many headers they’ve won… regardless of how many they lost. So someone could win 4000 headers and be clear leader in that regard but if they lost 3000 headers they may rank far lower in the % won to someone who had won 50 headers and only lost 2 headers. 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

If you don't take into account how many were lost, just how many were won, then surely everybody has a 100% record:huh:

No. The percentile for headers won is this….. if you are stack ranked as the highest based on volume you are 99th.   If you are the highest % win you are 99th. That’s the top 1%, it’s a calculation that allows for varying populations and lets you know where you are vs peers.   If you are 50th centile you have as many people behind you as you do in front of you. 

honestly I hate being on calls where I have to explain stuff like this, i can do it - explaining it is so much harder.  Some would argue if you find it difficult to explain - you don’t understand it enough yourself 

Before he was signed, I was hoping we would invest in younger players. Once both Tarkowski and Coady were signed, however, I immediately changed my mind because I could see the potential of such an experienced partnership in the heart of our defence. Yes, it's a good job I'm not a scout, but, in my defence (no pun intended), I would point out that I was one of their first strong supporters once our strategy was clear.

20 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Before he was signed, I was hoping we would invest in younger players. Once both Tarkowski and Coady were signed, however, I immediately changed my mind because I could see the potential of such an experienced partnership in the heart of our defence. Yes, it's a good job I'm not a scout, but, in my defence (no pun intended), I would point out that I was one of their first strong supporters once our strategy was clear.

Getting the right mix of experience and younger players has to be sensibly, the introduction of 2 experienced CDs is helping the 2 young FBs to settle in, if our back 4 consisted of 3 younger less experienced players with either Tarkowski or Coady we probably wouldn't have one of the meanest defences in the league.  

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

I was in the same boat but it was really our 2 more experienced CB’s that were letting us down the past years. We’ve got good depth with younger CB’s in Godfrey, Brainthwaite & Holgate (to a degree). Smart investment as immediate improvement was required and we have definitely gotten that.

• 4 months later...
Just now, dunlopp9987 said:

Rewatching the highlights from the weekend, how many points have we gathered this season from Tarkowski winning a header in our attacking box? Feels like he's been the assist on half of our goals

I'm amazed that sides haven't done more knowing we will always hit a deep corner or free kick for him to get his head on.

11 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm amazed that sides haven't done more knowing we will always hit a deep corner or free kick for him to get his head on.

My thoughts as well, maybe they are but the quality of the ball and Tarks strength and ability in the air is to good for most teams too defend against. 

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I'm just fondly remembering him charging in to protect his keeper and chesting that red shite arse wipe well away. The best part about it was the huge smile on his face as he did, he loves a confrontation!

When they had a player down injured, he had his hand around the back of his neck which looked quite intimidating, but it looked as if he was doing a bit of a welfare check, as if to say "are you okay, yeah? stop fucking about and get on with it then". Worth his weight in gold is Tarks.

And I believe he's played every minute this season. Time to find him a partner. Think he is the best CB we've had since Jags.

A big part of our victory yesterday was the fact that their players fancied fronting us up and got in our faces. What played a part was that Mina and tarks were like “fuck off, not today lads”

the solanke incident seemed to knock a bit of go out of them. He got bashed by tarks then chewed by Mina I think. 

Another big character.

How many years have we been saying we need more bollocks in the team?

I think that's what Lampard tried to do in the last Summer window, bring in more of a solid spine with a toughness. I think it was the right thing to do...its just they forgot about the other end of the pitch 🙈.

Just read that he's the only outfield player to play every minute of this season. Mad that. (Yes, I know it's already been said but I also want to sound smart....just for one time!!)

7 hours ago, Aidan said:

When they had a player down injured, he had his hand around the back of his neck which looked quite intimidating, but it looked as if he was doing a bit of a welfare check, as if to say "are you okay, yeah? stop fucking about and get on with it then". Worth his weight in gold is Tarks.

And I believe he's played every minute this season. Time to find him a partner. Think he is the best CB we've had since Jags.

Agreed.