IGNORED

Carlo Ancelotti

6 hours ago, StevO said:

After reading the article about how his 442 moves around with and without the ball he seemed to play exactly that. I think apart from missing a couple of goals that was the best football we’ve played in ages. Some of the movement was brilliant, mixing up play inside and out, it was refreshing. If he can implement that in three or four days I’m even more excited. 

It was really interesting to see how the players transitioned from their defensive to offensive positions. Not much changed with the two in the middle but from the highlights it looked like Sidibe stayed very wide and then Bernard and Richarlison took up positions behind DCL who spear headed the attack. It seemed as though most of our best attacks came from those two in between the Burnley lines with DCL keeping the centre backs deep.

4 hours ago, nogs said:

The change in Bernard was massive. It was almost as if he was given a free role to drift inside as he liked and as a result he had a real impact on the game. The movement off the ball was excellent too. 

To be fair, it's exactly how he should be played. He isn't a traditional winger so he needs to come inside and drift into those half spaces especially with Digne in behind flying down the touchline. His best games came in those positions last season.

1 hour ago, nogs said:

He certainly stuck with what he knows yesterday then! Be interesting to see if he fancies Richarlison in the LM role like the article suggests and gives Kean a go up top with DCL - like I said, thought it suited Bernard really well. We must be prioritising a CB in January, I wonder if he'll see Holgate as an option at RB if he gets one? Think he'd be better suited to switching back into CB than Coleman. 

I'm not sure if he would play Richarlison the same way. Richarlison is a direct player,  running with the ball and taking shots as opposed to Bernard who is more creative and links the defence or midfield to the attack. I would expect to see Richarlison more suited to a role where he has more opportunity to finish than create. Same with Walcott (whereas Iwobi is more in the Bernard mould). 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

He certainly stuck with what he knows yesterday then! Be interesting to see if he fancies Richarlison in the LM role like the article suggests and gives Kean a go up top with DCL - like I said, thought it suited Bernard really well. We must be prioritising a CB in January, I wonder if he'll see Holgate as an option at RB if he gets one? Think he'd be better suited to switching back into CB than Coleman. 

After I first read that article I said to my mate that Holgate could be ideal in that role. To be fair, I thought Coleman was fantastic. Could be a new lease of life for him. 
I want to see more of Bernard in the same position too. He was electric when he came inside. 

48 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was really interesting to see how the players transitioned from their defensive to offensive positions. Not much changed with the two in the middle but from the highlights it looked like Sidibe stayed very wide and then Bernard and Richarlison took up positions behind DCL who spear headed the attack. It seemed as though most of our best attacks came from those two in between the Burnley lines with DCL keeping the centre backs deep.

It was like the team pivoted around the two midfield players. I couldn’t help but think how much more could we get out of that team if Gomes was fit? 
Bernard did a great job backing up Digne in defence, and then causing problems inside on the attack. Some of his running was brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'm not sure if he would play Richarlison the same way. Richarlison is a direct player,  running with the ball and taking shots as opposed to Bernard who is more creative and links the defence or midfield to the attack. I would expect to see Richarlison more suited to a role where he has more opportunity to finish than create. Same with Walcott (whereas Iwobi is more in the Bernard mould). 

What you'd get with Richarlison playing the LM role is a different kind of threat - cutting inside on his right to shoot, or arriving at the back post to head in crosses which I reckon he does better from a wide position than when he plays centrally. It's also an option if Ancellotti can either get Kean going or buys an out and out goalscorer. 

What I'm thinking writing this is that suddey we do seem to have options, a month ago I had no idea what system suited our squad! 

2 hours ago, nogs said:

What you'd get with Richarlison playing the LM role is a different kind of threat - cutting inside on his right to shoot, or arriving at the back post to head in crosses which I reckon he does better from a wide position than when he plays centrally. It's also an option if Ancellotti can either get Kean going or buys an out and out goalscorer. 

What I'm thinking writing this is that suddey we do seem to have options, a month ago I had no idea what system suited our squad! 

A lot of people forgot all about the options we have injured. We do need a goal scorer though, that's where we struggle. Look at the likes of Leicester with Vardy or Wolves with Jiminez. If we aren't scoring goals from midfield we need a goal scorer up top. 

Also still need a real CB to take charge, preferably a ball player. Once Gomes if fit the centre of midfield will get us by, its at the opposite ends of the pitch where we lack. 

I think our most important positions are the midfield and wings.  Gomes and gbamin both injured it sucks but we need a solid player there.  If both were fit maybe not but as it is now we do.  That would be first priority in January.  Second would be a right winger.  Walcott is awful. I don’t like richarlison there (CF or LW for me) or Bernard (LW or AM) there.  Iwobi is awful.  So that leaves no one.  

those 2.  I like Mina and holgate, I like keane as a backup.  See how holgate does the rest of the campaign before going all out CB in the summer if need be.

For me, our priority should be a central defender. We currently have only 3 which is a worry. Keane is not good enough, Holgate shows potential, but I would like someone more established to take the place alongside Mina. Next in line should be a central midfielder. Unfortunately with the injuries of Gomes and Gbamin we're cut short in that area until the end of the season. That should be enough for now. We rather not sign too many new faces, unless we shift some of the dead wood, but that's unlikely to happen.

Powerful centre mid, experienced centre half and an experienced striker who is used to playing in a 4-4-2. 

Keane needs to go, he'd be 4th choice if we bring someone in so it'd be hard to justify having a player on his wages not even on the bench, likewise Sigurdssen if he's not in the match day plans. If we bring in a striker Tosun and/or Niasse should be moved on as well. 

Has to be a CB top of the list. No way Keane can be trusted playing out from the back the way we were doing v Burnley. It was always madness going into the season with just 3 anyway, we've been lucky Holgate has progressed the way he has. 

My missus heard something on radio about Ancellotti saying a forward wouldn't be a priority and he was happy with what he had for now. I imagine a CM would just be a stop gap loan deal with Gomes and Gbamin to come back. January isn't the time for major surgery I wouldn't be surprised if we only make one or two signings 

34 minutes ago, nogs said:

Has to be a CB top of the list. No way Keane can be trusted playing out from the back the way we were doing v Burnley. It was always madness going into the season with just 3 anyway, we've been lucky Holgate has progressed the way he has. 

My missus heard something on radio about Ancellotti saying a forward wouldn't be a priority and he was happy with what he had for now. I imagine a CM would just be a stop gap loan deal with Gomes and Gbamin to come back. January isn't the time for major surgery I wouldn't be surprised if we only make one or two signings 

It didn’t even sound like we’d look for a new forward in the summer. Obviously that would change if we sold any of them though.

Hopefully we go all out for some creativity in the summer. It’s doable. Look at Leicester getting Tielemans. 

30 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It didn’t even sound like we’d look for a new forward in the summer. Obviously that would change if we sold any of them though.

Hopefully we go all out for some creativity in the summer. It’s doable. Look at Leicester getting Tielemans. 

Linked with Insigne this morning but could just be lazy journalism

2 hours ago, nogs said:

I agree about the centre half. I think StevO mentioned that he could see Holgate as the right centre back/right back position and I would agree with that too but we definitely need someone else to play alongside Mina, someone who can play and also has pace.

A midfield loan option is a great idea, no idea who that might be, but it would be exactly what we need. The difficult thing is they would need to hit the ground running.

Ancellotti has said he hasn't put any pressure on the board to sign a striker as our current strikers are good enough. I think there is an element of that which suggests he is keeping them all sweet but realistically if we are going to play with 2 strikers then the bunch we have our. The problems come if we want to go back to playing one striker, where none of them have shown themselves effective enough in the past, week in week out.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

Ancellotti has said he hasn't put any pressure on the board to sign a striker as our current strikers are good enough. I think there is an element of that which suggests he is keeping them all sweet but realistically if we are going to play with 2 strikers then the bunch we have our. The problems come if we want to go back to playing one striker, where none of them have shown themselves effective enough in the past, week in week out.

I personally don't think the time is right for us to sign a striker as adding someone in January would just mean less opportunities for DCL (who has proven in the past month that he's got something about him) and Moise Kean who Carlo clearly fancies. I'd prefer us to work with those two as much as we can and develop them for next season than risk a chunk of our budget on someone who might help in the short term but do the opposite for the next few years. 

At the moment we have too many strikers as it is, we've got DCL, Kean, Tosun, Niasse and Sandro on the books so adding a sixth would be insane business. I think what we should be prioritising is getting rid of Sandro in the summer (I'd honestly look at a mutual termination) and one of either Tosun and Niasse. Ideally giving us one as a back-up to Dom and Moise with the option to then bring somebody in once Carlo has had enough time to evaluate his options and after trimming down the squad size and wage budget. 

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Could be a red herring, why let everyone know what you’re plans are. 

On the flip side, this could well be the idea behind closed doors. Who knows.

17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Could be a red herring, why let everyone know what you’re plans are. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

If we announce we are after a striker and players etc it puts us in a position where prices will be sky high.... play it down....  

You guys do realise that Brands will be in contact with plenty of agents and clubs across the world in respect of their players. You do also realise that everyone knows who plays for our side and where our strengths and weaknesses lie.

If we wanted a certain player, I would hope that they would know about it long before Carlo comes out in the press and says that he hasn't asked for a striker. You should note that he hasn't even said we wont sign a striker, just that he hasn't demanded one from the board.

This isnt Carlo playing any games, you using smoke and mirrors, he is just answering a question aimed at disrupting the strikers confidence at a key point in the season.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

You guys do realise that Brands will be in contact with plenty of agents and clubs across the world in respect of their players. You do also realise that everyone knows who plays for our side and where our strengths and weaknesses lie.

If we wanted a certain player, I would hope that they would know about it long before Carlo comes out in the press and says that he hasn't asked for a striker. You should note that he hasn't even said we wont sign a striker, just that he hasn't demanded one from the board.

This isnt Carlo playing any games, you using smoke and mirrors, he is just answering a question aimed at disrupting the strikers confidence at a key point in the season.

The point is... there are more reasons not to disclose any aims or plans than to do so..... 

Do we for one minute think that transfers are made up day by day? No. 

Do players get bought when there was no initial intention to buy them? Yes. Cantona perfect example. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The point is... there are more reasons not to disclose any aims or plans than to do so..... 

Do players get bought when there was no initial intention to buy them? Yes. Cantona perfect example. 

That’s spot on just look at how many players get mentioned in our transfer thread that we don’t even make an approach for.

Then what would seem out of the blue we buy someone that no one had a clue about   in a position we didn’t feel we we’re looking for, I think that happen because we’ve kept our cards close to our chest without alerting others of our plans. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Should have stuck with Allardyce the press said. Get back in your box the press said. Don’t aim too high the press said. 

43 shots on goal in two games! 
Break the fucking box and aim high!

Fucking right steveo. Probably match of the day will be saying West Ham should have pulled the plug so Carlo would have gone there. We are the millwall of the establishment for some reason. Just being on the touchline gives us gravitas. His game management is a joy to see 

7 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The game has moved on a fair bit since then mate!

7 hours ago, Finn balor said:

That was more of a deal between two managers which wouldn’t happen these days. Howard Wilkinson rang Fergie to buy someone. Fergie fucked him off and then enquires about cantona. Too many agents involved these days 

Exactly.

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

That’s spot on just look at how many players get mentioned in our transfer thread that we don’t even make an approach for.

Then what would seem out of the blue we buy someone that no one had a clue about   in a position we didn’t feel we we’re looking for, I think that happen because we’ve kept our cards close to our chest without alerting others of our plans. 

1. You don't know whether they were approached or scouted etc. 

2. It could just be the media making it up.

3. Just because we don't know it doesn't mean the club or agent don't know.