IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

Let's get a few things clear: Despite what the press are repeating ad nauseam, I don't believe a majority held a grudge against Benitez because of his past association with Liverpool. Another fallacy is that he did "really well" (as one article puts it) in his first several games: We played only teams we should expect to beat and struggled to do that. The reason why there was initial concern and an increasing groundswell of opposition is that Benitez has a track record of causing problems and is not actually that good a manager. How come he has a reputation in the press for being a tactical genius when, across several teams, his tactics have been weird (if discernible) and his substitutions weirder? And his insistence on playing Rondon and not playing Digne revealed his stubborn nature and ingrained favouritism. Moreover, if ever there's been a time to bring through younger players, the last few months have been it - but instead they're probably all looking to be transferred elsewhere.

Yes, we're in a mess, and there have been some very unfortunate decisions of late (especially firing Brands). Still, even if for the wrong reasons, some decisions will work out. I have no issue with Digne leaving, because his form has been dropping for quite a while. I'm quite looking forward to Patterson being on our roster, even while being in two minds about Mykolenko. People go on all the time that the players are at fault and have caused several managers to be fired, but that's nonsense. Most on our team were brought in recently, so who exactly are those players? Coleman (who is usually praised)? Keane (who's a convenient scapegoat)? Pickford (who seems frustrated by our dismal performances)? Money (as in most jobs) is not the driving factor: They have to see the vision, buy into the plan, and feel they are a part of it.

The most important thing is that this disastrous management appointment has come to an end, and now we need someone with vision and the ability to forge a team from a varied collection of talent. Several could do it, but very few are likely to want to.

Farewell Rafael. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

"We knew it wouldn't be easy," Benitez said following his departure.

"It was a big challenge, both emotionally and in terms of sport. My love for this city, for Merseyside and its people, made me accept this challenge, but it is only when you are inside that you realise the magnitude of the task.

"From the very first day, my staff and myself worked as we always do, with commitment and full dedication. We didn't only have to get results, but we also had to win over people's hearts.

"However, the financial situation and then the injuries that followed made things even harder."

"I am convinced that we would have been better once the injured players were back and with the arrival of the new signings," added Benitez.

"The road to success isn't easy and, sadly, nowadays in football there is a search for immediate results and there is always less and less patience; unfortunately circumstances have determined the results and it won't be possible to continue this project.

"In any case, thank you to the board, to the staff, to the players, and to those fans who have supported us during this time."

13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

"We knew it wouldn't be easy," Benitez said following his departure.

"It was a big challenge, both emotionally and in terms of sport. My love for this city, for Merseyside and its people, made me accept this challenge, but it is only when you are inside that you realise the magnitude of the task.

"From the very first day, my staff and myself worked as we always do, with commitment and full dedication. We didn't only have to get results, but we also had to win over people's hearts.

"However, the financial situation and then the injuries that followed made things even harder."

"I am convinced that we would have been better once the injured players were back and with the arrival of the new signings," added Benitez.

"The road to success isn't easy and, sadly, nowadays in football there is a search for immediate results and there is always less and less patience; unfortunately circumstances have determined the results and it won't be possible to continue this project.

"In any case, thank you to the board, to the staff, to the players, and to those fans who have supported us during this time."

Cry more. 

12 minutes ago, MikeO said:

This, this is part of the issue. He could have just said to the fans, but no, he even has to talk with division on the way out and highlight “those fans who have supported us”. Fuck right off Rafa!

"I have been in charge in football for 26 years, won the Champions League, the Club World Cup, the FA Cup, the Italian Super Cup, the Spanish league twice - nine trophies - all the trophies you can win at club level. A group of fans, they are not making any favour to the team and they are singing and wasting time preparing banners." Benitez 2013

FOFQ9SR.png

I hope something is in place where another club must pay us or Tapas Tits must pay back the severance pay if he takes another job in the next 18months or so. I fully expect Newcastle to ditch Howe very soon and I fully expect them to see Benitez as their ‘saviour’ - strange bunch!

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I hope something is in place where another club must pay us or Tapas Tits must pay back the severance pay if he takes another job in the next 18months or so. I fully expect Newcastle to ditch Howe very soon and I fully expect them to see Benitez as their ‘saviour’ - strange bunch!

It'd be funny as fuck watching him try and create battles behind the scenes there now. He could get beheaded.

• 1 month later...

The rot started with this fraud and if we go down he will be fully accountable. The biggest mistake in Everton Football Clubs history. 

The sale of James Rodrigues and Lucas Digne is an absolute travesty all signed off by this man. Nobody can tell me we wouldn’t have more points in the table now with these two in the squad. 

Whoever sanctioned this man running our football club signed our existence in the premier league away. 

2 hours ago, MC11 said:

The rot started with this fraud and if we go down he will be fully accountable. The biggest mistake in Everton Football Clubs history. 

The sale of James Rodrigues and Lucas Digne is an absolute travesty all signed off by this man. Nobody can tell me we wouldn’t have more points in the table now with these two in the squad. 

Whoever sanctioned this man running our football club signed our existence in the premier league away. 

The rot started?!  

fuck me mate, what the fuck was going on in the 4 months before he came in? The players were putting in a run of form that made europes most decorated manager look like Mike walker. 

let’s stop looking at the managers. Look at the fuckers pulling in 6 figures every week who need 38k fans to practically shout them into running around. 

1. James…. He’s played 8 games for a shit team in a shit league for shit loads of money and is spending his time on some media thing making out he may come back. If the prick actually went to Porto we would now have luis Diaz playing for us.

2. Digne. Shite. Been shite for ages and has been to blame for a few Villa goals cos he doesn’t stop crosses coming in.

the club is a mess and whilst Rafa wasn’t a good call this bunch of twats would get pep or klopp sacked. 

hoping lampard shows his teeth cos they will have him out of a job. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

The rot started?!  

fuck me mate, what the fuck was going on in the 4 months before he came in? The players were putting in a run of form that made europes most decorated manager look like Mike walker. 

let’s stop looking at the managers. Look at the fuckers pulling in 6 figures every week who need 38k fans to practically shout them into running around. 

1. James…. He’s played 8 games for a shit team in a shit league for shit loads of money and is spending his time on some media thing making out he may come back. If the prick actually went to Porto we would now have luis Diaz playing for us.

2. Digne. Shite. Been shite for ages and has been to blame for a few Villa goals cos he doesn’t stop crosses coming in.

the club is a mess and whilst Rafa wasn’t a good call this bunch of twats would get pep or klopp sacked. 

hoping lampard shows his teeth cos they will have him out of a job. 

How many points have we picked up since Digne was dropped? 

James played 25 games for us last season and his quality would certainly kept us at arms left of the relegation zone. Rafa has completely and utterly shafted us 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

If anyone thinks JJ Kenny (or Mykolenko or anyone playing there) has been an improvement over Digne then they are out of their mind. I don't care what Villa fans have to say. Him performing poorly for them is not indicative of how he played for us, which is not as bad as some would have you believe. 

Digne had been playing very poorly for a long time. He made it clear he didn't want to play for Benitez, which is fine, so we sold him. As he's not playing great for Villa, and we got good money, this would seem to vindicate the sale.

There are hundreds of reasons why we're in the sitaution we're in. The sales of Digne or James do not feature in my top ten. Nor, actually, does the hiring of Benitez, although I am sure many will disagree.      

21 minutes ago, Formby said:

Digne had been playing very poorly for a long time. He made it clear he didn't want to play for Benitez, which is fine, so we sold him. As he's not playing great for Villa, and we got good money, this would seem to vindicate the sale.

There are hundreds of reasons why we're in the sitaution we're in. The sales of Digne or James do not feature in my top ten. Nor, actually, does the hiring of Benitez, although I am sure many will disagree.      

It is fair to say that he was performing poorly. That said, we haven't improved that position whatsoever with him leaving (we've made it worse) when it's so obvious now we need all the help we can get. 

Also, him not wanting to play for Benítez, then getting sold, THEN Benetiz getting sacked like a week later makes no damn sense, and it's the kind of piss poor judgment/decision-making that's gotten us into this mess. 

2 hours ago, MC11 said:

How many points have we picked up since Digne was dropped? 

James played 25 games for us last season and his quality would certainly kept us at arms left of the relegation zone. Rafa has completely and utterly shafted us 

When did James make the appearances?  Start of season and towards end of winter. From early spring to summer he wasn’t arsed. Missed games as he was tired, asked to get subbed against Fulham I think it was. 
asked to leave before end of season as he wasn’t fit but wanted to make himself available for Colombia.  I was a  massive fan of his talent but not his attitude.

digne?  We lost games and Lars hendel used to tweet dignes stats and Digne used to like them.  The fact that Digne was sold didn’t arse me, the fact the moshiri was behind bad decisions does. 

the issue is the players in the club, they do not care. Simple as that.  Two 19 year olds showed more arse than the rest of them last night. 

Rafa has gone, the issue still remains - the players are shocking. 

1 hour ago, Sibdane said:

It is fair to say that he was performing poorly. That said, we haven't improved that position whatsoever with him leaving (we've made it worse) when it's so obvious now we need all the help we can get. 

Also, him not wanting to play for Benítez, then getting sold, THEN Benetiz getting sacked like a week later makes no damn sense, and it's the kind of piss poor judgment/decision-making that's gotten us into this mess. 

Yes, that type of decision making is shit.  But red mist hatred of Benitez is misguided. 

benitez like lampard like ancelotti had identified a piss poor culture within the club.  And because he’s Rafa he had no credibility in the bank to wield the axe.  We have fans who seem to adore players who don’t give a fuck about Everton.

I don’t for one second believe that Rafa had anything other than good intentions- the attitude of certain players brought out the worst in him. I’m glad Rafa is gone but he worked harder than most of the players still here.   

can anyone argue against that? It was a doomed appointment , make no bones about it - these players are experts at getting managers sacked. 

33 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Yes, that type of decision making is shit.  But red mist hatred of Benitez is misguided. 

benitez like lampard like ancelotti had identified a piss poor culture within the club.  And because he’s Rafa he had no credibility in the bank to wield the axe.  We have fans who seem to adore players who don’t give a fuck about Everton.

I don’t for one second believe that Rafa had anything other than good intentions- the attitude of certain players brought out the worst in him. I’m glad Rafa is gone but he worked harder than most of the players still here.   

can anyone argue against that? It was a doomed appointment , make no bones about it - these players are experts at getting managers sacked. 

Poor ole Rafa. He just couldn't catch a break. 🙄

I wasn't even speaking about Rafa directly, but I'll just say having good intentions doesn't make a good appointment. You could say the same about any of our previous managers, arguably even Allardyce (though I doubt it with him).

My point is that it was stupid to sell one of our best players with no back-up plan (unless you consider Myolenko the back-up plan, which would be even more poor planning given his age/experience/league he came from) when we're in a shitstorm of a season. Maybe you're not arsed about selling our better players, but I am. These other players you talk about who don't give a shit and aren't good enough just prove that point even further. I do believe Digne cared and you can put it down to his desire for good stats or whatever you want for his motivation. 

17 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Poor ole Rafa. He just couldn't catch a break. 🙄

I wasn't even speaking about Rafa directly, but I'll just say having good intentions doesn't make a good appointment. You could say the same about any of our previous managers, arguably even Allardyce (though I doubt it with him).

My point is that it was stupid to sell one of our best players with no back-up plan (unless you consider Myolenko the back-up plan, which would be even more poor planning given his age/experience/league he came from) when we're in a shitstorm of a season. Maybe you're not arsed about selling our better players, but I am. These other players you talk about who don't give a shit and aren't good enough just prove that point even further. I do believe Digne cared and you can put it down to his desire for good stats or whatever you want for his motivation. 

No one on here was delighted with getting Rafa for football reasons…. Let’s get that 100% straight.

people like myself seen it as an odd decision that may benefit us if he is able to get rid of the shit culture in the club.  I said ages ago that he will want to make unpopular decisions and those decisions may be needed. 

im not saying good intentions makes a good hire either but if you read enough posts you would believe that Rafa came to the club to ruin us. He never, the issues that would ruin us have been in existence before him and after him. Whether it’s the players or the meddling owner and his whisperer.

Digne was not a better player - I do have issues with selling better players but he wasn’t one……. He was not a better player at all. Ffs, he was asked to defend and play a certain way and refused (allegedly).   Buying mykolenko is a separate issue - buying the lad from rangers is a separate issue.  

better players?  Richarlison, Gordon, gray, Allan, doucoure….. if we sold them then yeah I would have a problem. Digne no.  James should have been the best player in the team and one of the best in the league but he’s not arsed anymore. 

I’ll happily sell DCL whilst we are at it, providing his value hasn’t dropped like a stone. Another player who has lost the hunger that made him look half decent. 

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

No one on here was delighted with getting Rafa for football reasons…. Let’s get that 100% straight.

people like myself seen it as an odd decision that may benefit us if he is able to get rid of the shit culture in the club.  I said ages ago that he will want to make unpopular decisions and those decisions may be needed. 

im not saying good intentions makes a good hire either but if you read enough posts you would believe that Rafa came to the club to ruin us. He never, the issues that would ruin us have been in existence before him and after him. Whether it’s the players or the meddling owner and his whisperer.

Digne was not a better player - I do have issues with selling better players but he wasn’t one……. He was not a better player at all. Ffs, he was asked to defend and play a certain way and refused (allegedly).   Buying mykolenko is a separate issue - buying the lad from rangers is a separate issue.  

better players?  Richarlison, Gordon, gray, Allan, doucoure….. if we sold them then yeah I would have a problem. Digne no.  James should have been the best player in the team and one of the best in the league but he’s not arsed anymore. 

I’ll happily sell DCL whilst we are at it, providing his value hasn’t dropped like a stone. Another player who has lost the hunger that made him look half decent. 

1. Agree to disagree

2. Mykolenko himself isn't the issue, not buying a replacement is... didn't even mention Patterson. 

4 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

1. Agree to disagree

2. Mykolenko himself isn't the issue, not buying a replacement is... didn't even mention Patterson. 

Agree to disagree? On what? What has Digne actually done in the past 18 months???   His noted contributions in my mind is allowing shit loads of crosses into the box. If you see that as being a better player then you clearly get bamboozled by his odd cross or free kick.  

mykolenko was his replacement…..where do you think the money for pattinson and mykolenko came from? Digne sale and the free up of wages re FFP. 

we could have signed the shittest left back in the league as a replacement. It doesn’t take away the fact that dignes sale was not a travesty. He really was not all that. 

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Agree to disagree? On what? What has Digne actually done in the past 18 months???   His noted contributions in my mind is allowing shit loads of crosses into the box. If you see that as being a better player then you clearly get bamboozled by his odd cross or free kick.  

mykolenko was his replacement…..where do you think the money for pattinson and mykolenko came from? Digne sale and the free up of wages re FFP. 

we could have signed the shittest left back in the league as a replacement. It doesn’t take away the fact that dignes sale was not a travesty. He really was not all that. 

Yes. Agree to disagree. I know it's hard for you to have people disagreeing with you, but I do. I realize where the money came from. Fact is, we didn't sign a good replacement to come in and do a job now. 

14 minutes ago, Sibdane said:

Yes. Agree to disagree. I know it's hard for you to have people disagreeing with you, but I do. I realize where the money came from. Fact is, we didn't sign a good replacement to come in and do a job now. 

I’m fine with disagreeing when it comes to opinions…. But we are actually discussing facts.  Not gonna get drawn into the personal argument style.   The facts are that Digne was on £120k a week and was a defensive weak link and he refused to play because he fell out with manager. You don’t refuse to play.  His offensive contributions had been poor for some time. 

Was he our worst player?  No.  Was he one of our best?  No.  £25m for a near 30 year old full back (bear in mind his position- fullbacks have shorter peak periods).

This is not the reason we are in trouble.  

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

I’m fine with disagreeing when it comes to opinions…. But we are actually discussing facts.  Not gonna get drawn into the personal argument style.   The facts are that Digne was on £120k a week and was a defensive weak link and he refused to play because he fell out with manager. You don’t refuse to play.  His offensive contributions had been poor for some time. 

Was he our worst player?  No.  Was he one of our best?  No.  £25m for a near 30 year old full back (bear in mind his position- fullbacks have shorter peak periods).

This is not the reason we are in trouble.  

Never said he was the sole reason; his leaving is just another example of poor club management that got us into trouble. Disagree with my opinion that he is a good player all you want. It still doesn't make your opinion a fact.