IGNORED

Salomón Rondón

31 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Even if they don't ask.

« Hello is that Gillingham FC?  Yes, hmm, Hi, it’s Everton here, just letting you know that Salomon Rondon plays for you now. Can you pay the taxi when he arrives, we’re a bit short? Hello? Hello?…

…shit. What’s the number for Grimsby Town? »

6D88B603-976B-404A-9F64-C9799920C507.gif

On 29/01/2022 at 10:32, Cornish Steve said:

Still slow and lumbering, though, and the standard of play was League 2.

Agreed. The third was a damn good goal. If we do have to see him in an Everton shirt again, hopefully that goal is indicative of him taking some confidence from this one. But the first two goals were down to having an absolutely shit keeper. It was a solid header for the first, but a keeper should never be beat near side like that. The second was an absolute joke. The keeper didn’t even react to a relatively slow rolling shot.

To be fair to him the first was down to good movement.

He came from behind the first defender and anticipated a bear post ball. The kind of thing we berate players for not doing.

Not a fan of his at all. But sometimes it’s ok to look and say…. You know what, the guy did well.

• 2 months later...
59 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I know this has been said elsewhere, but I thought he did really well when he came on just making things awkward for the Leicester defenders. 

I am fairly certain he was trying to contol the ball for the goal though so its a good job he messed it up! 🤣 

When I’ve been slating dcl and people have been making out it’s cos of goals, rondon showed the other night what it is actually about….

being a big presence up front gives centre halves a headache, it creates opportunities because they like to have it their way. Rondon can take up space and make it hard for centre halves to attack the ball, dcl can do this better than most but he’s not been doing it. 

12 hours ago, StevO said:

Rondon did well when he came on the other night. 

It's the first time he's managed it since he arrived. Which surprised me because that is the one thing I thought he could do when we signed him - put himself about and be a nuisance. Before the Leicester cameo I'd been very disappointed with the effort he'd put in when given a chance, and that's why I've been reluctant to see any more of him.

Now, if he's given some sort of opportunity in the remaining games I wouldn't be quite as worried.

17 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's the first time he's managed it since he arrived. Which surprised me because that is the one thing I thought he could do when we signed him - put himself about and be a nuisance. Before the Leicester cameo I'd been very disappointed with the effort he'd put in when given a chance, and that's why I've been reluctant to see any more of him.

Now, if he's given some sort of opportunity in the remaining games I wouldn't be quite as worried.

I think it is a lot easier playing that type of role from the bench than it is starting too.  

If you know you have 20 minutes to give everything its a lot simpler than trying to pace yourself over 90. 

• 2 weeks later...

Did his job well again yesterday, not brilliant but enough to keep the defenders occupied, most importantly for me was the fantastic welcome he got from the crowd when he came on, no player will perform if he’s booed onto the pitch as he has been previously ( after dog shit performances early doors )

53 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He now looks like a useful lump, rather than a useless one.

Credit it where it's due, in the past couple of games he's actually managed to hold the ball up a bit and be somewhat useful, something that I thought I'd never say at the start of the season. Despite my nerves being at breaking point I did laugh at him in the 96th minute or so; held the ball up well, skinned one of their defenders and when through one-on-one fell over the ball and landed flat on his arse :lol:. Dele then had a chance to finish it off but cocked up himself.

On the subject of credit where it's due, the same goes for Delph IMO. Been a complete waste of space for the 90% of the time he's been here, but his past performances have been really useful and for that I somewhat applaud him.

• 2 weeks later...