IGNORED

Burnley (Home) Monday 13 September

markjazzbassist

Just now, Btay said:

Some very very good football going on here guys. Hope everyone is enjoying this 

Exactly. Obviously I remember that we started well last season and the optimism was through the roof and then the wheels fell off, but for now, I'm just basking in the good times and loving that we're 10 points from 12 with a +6 GD.

1 minute ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Exactly. Obviously I remember that we started well last season and the optimism was through the roof and then the wheels fell off, but for now, I'm just basking in the good times and loving that we're 10 points from 12 with a +6 GD.

We did but I don’t remember us looking as good as we do now. 

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

more of the second half, less of the first half.  happy to win, frankly it's burnley at home anything less than a win is unacceptable.  next week should be a good test with villa.

Oh get a grip.  They have looked good this season against Liverpool etc. 

Still salty over Townsend proving you wrong. 

Unreal. 

What a change that was. 

The first 60 minutes were dreadful. Burnley were the better side. The back 5 didnt have a clue what they were doing, the midfield couldnt get on the ball and the front three may have well have been playing in different counties they were that far apart. If I am honest, I thought it was a bit of shit the bed decision by Benitez. He was scared about Burnley bullying us, he was too cautious and it could have cost us. 

What followed though was electric. Godfrey off was the right decision (thought he was poor) and Gomes was the right man. We had no control up to that point but with him, Allan and Doucoure went on to boss the game. The front three all turned up at the same ground and the back 4 knew what they were doing again. It was like a switch being flicked. The players were comfortable and we were attacking space at pace.

Up to that point Gray and Townsend were frustrating me. They lacked moments of quality but boy did that change! What a strike and it was a good cross for the first too. Gray even manage to drag a pass out of Doucoure, which felt like it was his first completed pass of the afternoon! It was a very composed finish. 

They were the perfect changes by Benitez and we then went on to completely outplay a limited but very organised Burnley side. Not many teams will pull them apart like we did at the end. Hopefully this gives Benitez a bit more belief in those players so that we don't have to see 5 at the back again!

I'll just add a couple more words about the goal we conceded. It was a bit of a mess to say the least. It was initially a good header by Godfrey but then he runs out like he was being controlled by a 12yo lad playing Fifa. He charges out, gets nowhere near the cross. He has Digne next to him too and with Keane out of position, it leaves Mina and Coleman against 4 big Burnley players and they had no chance. It wasn't the first time we didn't have enough pressure on the cross and a mismatch of numbers in the box either.

Tactically we got it all wrong in the first half. I hate three at the back so as soon as I saw that my heart sank and what we went on to display did nothing to dispel that feeling. Please stop trying it. We played so deep and let Burnley control the game, and then when we did manage to have the ball we played unbelievably slowly. We were launching the ball up the field for Richarlison to try and win the aerial balls against their grocks. That's just madness. Pickford was hitting the ball long and out wide into two of our smallest players in Coleman and Digne. That was clearly part of the game plan because he was practicing it in the warm-up before the game. The midfield may as well not have been there - Gray had a couple of moments but that was about it. Richarlison tried but he wasn't getting much out of their defenders or anything in the way of support from his teammates. 

Then we come out in the second half and before we know it we're one behind. I feared the worst at that point because we hadn't looked like we had anything in us to be honest. Then we absolutely exploded for 15 minutes and that was all she fucking wrote for this game. For that period of time Burnley did not know what had hit them. I barely knew what had hit them to be honest! We just went bang, bang, bang. We could have had a couple more as well but after that we just saw the game out in a professional manner.

8 hours ago, Bill said:

Don't Forget,  We are Everton and we always shit out against the teams we should beat. A lot of our players get nosebleeds at the thought of getting too high in the league.

I hope we win 7-0 and top the league on goal difference, but I will be very happy with a 1-0.

Presumably 3-1 is OK as well.

I’m still buzzing after last night we had a 25 minute spell where we were unplayable in the 2nd half, Matt usually posts the extended highlights they can’t be ready yet, but can’t wait to watch them over and over again. For those of you who were lucky enough to be there under the lights in a rocking Goodison I’m truly envious you lucky bar stewards.