IGNORED

Vitaliy Mykolenko

Yes he put in a shift yesterday and did well defensively for the most part, but overall I can't help but think all of our full backs are well below what is required in the modern game.  Shocking to me that we didn't look to actually improve at both LB and RB.  Hard to believe that there weren't, at least, a few prospects or journeymen about that could've been brought in to provide options and challenge.  

2 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

Yes he put in a shift yesterday and did well defensively for the most part, but overall I can't help but think all of our full backs are well below what is required in the modern game.  Shocking to me that we didn't look to actually improve at both LB and RB.  Hard to believe that there weren't, at least, a few prospects or journeymen about that could've been brought in to provide options and challenge.  

Like Ashley Young? 

And by all accounts from those at Villa, he was great for them and why would we expect anything less here?

Myko was very good and should absolutely start in front of Young.

Hard for me to throw much blame at us not looking to upgrade. We were so dire in attacking options and with so little resource that it would've been irresponsible for us to allocate any real resources. I thought the Young signing was a solid effort to bring in adequate cover. Clearly he hasn't been good so far, but I think process wise the signing was fine.

22 minutes ago, c1982 said:

100% this. Brings balance and seems to be growing in confidence - having McNeil back helps.

I wonder if that's why he was dropped, get the best out of him when McNeil is back and build a relationship between the 2. 

Just need that with Patterson and Harrison so we never need to see Young play again. 

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

I wonder if that's why he was dropped, get the best out of him when McNeil is back and build a relationship between the 2. 

Just need that with Patterson and Harrison so we never need to see Young play again. 

1st point - yep.

2nd point - Young’s a useful player - I want Patterson/Harrison to be the first choice partnership but don’t get all the hate for Young - one of our few players who is comfortable in possession, bags of energy, versatile and actually has a bit of know-how. He’s not a long-term option but is valuable in the short-term.

Evertonians need a scapegoat - it’s what we do.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

1st point - yep.

2nd point - Young’s a useful player - I want Patterson/Harrison to be the first choice partnership but don’t get all the hate for Young - one of our few players who is comfortable in possession, bags of energy, versatile and actually has a bit of know-how. He’s not a long-term option but is valuable in the short-term.

Not trying to make him a scapegoat. I was quite positive about him coming in, I think, hoping he'd have a Barry effect. But his performances have been more Delph like so far. Hopefully with the team getting more confidence we'll see more from him but at the moment he's massively underperforming.

He’s also a senior pro who has won everything in the game, so you would think he is having a positive effect in the background. I’m sure he is showing high standards to his team mates (I don’t mean on field performance by that either) and I don’t doubt that we have many players who are behind in those standards. 

I thought Mykolenko was quite poor. He was our worst defender, his first touch pretty much derailed any forward attacking movement we had and his passing had a similar effect. 

His energy and commitment can never be questioned but he is a championship level full back at best.

I also agree with the positive comments about Young. I'd be very worried if he was up against a speedy winger 1 v 1 but he is our best full back, which says a lot about the other two.

3 hours ago, c1982 said:

1st point - yep.

Thought he had a good game to be fair. Very composed and also got the ball forward for us.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Btay said:

Not the first time he has played well against Salah also. There is potential in him to be a decent enough fullback for sure.

If you want a left-back to shut down the attacking right of your opposition then I'd put him in against anyone.

That's not to say he never has a sub-par defensive showing but you know 9/10 he'll be tireless in his task and get the job done.

I think he’s been improving steadily. Not wildly brilliant then terrible, but steady overall improvement. I think that’s indicates his base level is getting better which can only be a good thing.

I think there is potentially a very good player in there, but he seems to lack self belief. I’ve seen a few camera shots of him after he does something good (especially going forward) and he’s smiling like as if he’s saying “Wow, yeah, I can actually do this. I am good enough!”

Which funnily enough seems to conform with my impression that his mistakes are usually down to a kind of nervous panicking.

Thats just my read; as although my Polish is pretty good, the Ukrainian alphabet is completely different.

13 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

I think he’s been improving steadily. Not wildly brilliant then terrible, but steady overall improvement. I think that’s indicates his base level is getting better which can only be a good thing.

I think there is potentially a very good player in there, but he seems to lack self belief. I’ve seen a few camera shots of him after he does something good (especially going forward) and he’s smiling like as if he’s saying “Wow, yeah, I can actually do this. I am good enough!”

Which funnily enough seems to conform with my impression that his mistakes are usually down to a kind of nervous panicking.

Thats just my read; as although my Polish is pretty good, the Ukrainian alphabet is completely different.

I don’t think we have anybody that is wildly brilliant. 
pickford is probably the best but even he has his deficiencies 

3 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

We have someone who was. 

Just two questions: will we ever see him play again and if and when he does come back (be that for us or anyone else) will he be able to reach those heights?

I’m mystified are you talking Seamus if you are his best days way behind him