IGNORED

Viktor Gyökeres

1 hour ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

Just asked my mate who's a die hard Coventry fan who said:

"No mate

Certainly not ready for the step up

I mean he’s a top striker for us

Scored 19 last season very talented footballer but not ready to step up" 

19 last season - what if he goes and scores 19 again this season? Probably puts him out of our price range. These are the risks we need to take.

22 minutes ago, c1982 said:

19 last season - what if he goes and scores 19 again this season? Probably puts him out of our price range. These are the risks we need to take.

Aleksandar Mitrović.

Championship 17/18, 12 goals (in half a season)

Premier 18/19, 11 goals

Championship 19/20 26 goals

Premier 20/21 4 goals

Championship 21/22 43 goals

Teemu Pukki is another who scored for fun then didn't make the step.

Obviously playing for "lesser" teams is a handicap, but it's a big step.

Just now, RPG said:

I don't really know much about him but he has to be better than what we have right now - which is pretty much nothing. I also trust Frank and Thelwell more and more in this transfer window.

If we get a striker in (you'd have to think that's a certainty) then I'm going to be feeling a lot more confident about this season than I thought I would be.

That's as equally as terrifying as it is a good thing :lol:.

Just now, RPG said:

I don't really know much about him but he has to be better than what we have right now - which is pretty much nothing. I also trust Frank and Thelwell more and more in this transfer window.

I know nothing about him either. 
No harm in bringing players up from the championship, might be an exception to the rule but players like Tim Cahill just needing an opportunity to show they can do better. There are plenty more that couldn’t make the step up. But we watched Rondon stink the place out last season as a premier league player. 

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Aleksandar Mitrović.

Premier 18/19, 11 goals

Premier 20/21 4 goals

100% massive step-up but both would have been excellent squad players for us last season - as mentioned, we’re after a squad player rather than the blockbuster main striker.

This is the kind of Lookman/Vlasic transfer where, if he’s not a big success, you can still move on for a decent fee in 12-18months. Low risk high reward in my opinion. Jebbison at Sheff Utd is another name being mentioned but he’s had a lot less experience.

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

Aleksandar Mitrović.

Premier 18/19, 11 goals

Premier 20/21 4 goals

It’s hard to compare though - as you’ve mentioned playing for lesser teams is the handicap so it’s near on impossible to make the comparison unless they went and played for an elite team in the premier league.

I guess my thing is, if he is a prospect, looking to step up into the EPL, he's actually a little old at 24. If he was 20-21 (like Simms), I think I'd feel a little better about his upside. Maybe that's silly, but at 24 I'd think he's about reached his physical ceiling (not technical).

3 hours ago, Ghoat said:

I guess my thing is, if he is a prospect, looking to step up into the EPL, he's actually a little old at 24. If he was 20-21 (like Simms), I think I'd feel a little better about his upside. Maybe that's silly, but at 24 I'd think he's about reached his physical ceiling (not technical).

You wouldn’t have recruited Jamie Vardy then. Some just take time to be Prem-ready. 

20 hours ago, Hoof_It_Nev said:

Just asked my mate who's a die hard Coventry fan who said:

"No mate

Certainly not ready for the step up

I mean he’s a top striker for us

Scored 19 last season very talented footballer but not ready to step up" 

By sheer coincidence on our April trip our last game was Fulham-Coventry at the Cottage. Like others have said he's playing in the Championship so who knows about the step up but what I'll say is he was the best player on the pitch that day by miles. I had never heard of him before and left incredibly impressed.

16 hours ago, barryj said:

Form what I’ve read I dont think he’s better than Simms and likely a lower maximum potential. 

Simms can't help us until next year. 

8 hours ago, StevO said:

No issue with us going after players like this. DCL is first choice, so whoever we buy or loan will have to be happy playing back up. We won’t be bringing in anyone good enough to be first choice, so rather someone hungry to take an opportunity like this lad. 

Exactly this. We need someone young and hungry to fight for first choice and not pout when they're on the bench. I'd expect a lad with this pedigree to be exactly that.