IGNORED

Wilfried Gnonto

7 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

Seems like this might be a non starter. I didn't realise he didn't have a release clause or that Leeds were "reluctant" sellers. Even if they are only reluctant sellers to drive up the price it makes it an unlikely sale in my opinion. 

May be Leeds trying to get player to request transfer…. 

we seem to be chasing the one player Leeds don't really need to be getting out the door. He is not on big money, no relegation clause, and could do well for them in the Championship next year. I think  for these reasons we would have to pay over the odds for him in all honesty and for a 19 year old, who is still only potential at the moment. I hope we don't end up spending most of the window chasing a player and end up not getting him. Make a final offer and just move on if its not accepted. 

57 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If the lad wants to be playing for Italy next season, I suspect he will need to be playing in the Premier League (or another top league) to do it. I really don't see Leeds being able to get him to stay and be happy about it.

but Leeds can quite easily hold out to the 11th hour for a top fee for him. As worst case outcome for Leeds is they are left with a player they can afford and would want to actually remains on their books - happy or not, he would just have to knuckle down and get on with it, he's got loads left on his contract. Leeds would still demand a decent fee in January or next summer. 

Taking Everton out of the equation, half or whole season playing week in and week out at Championship level would most likely be the best thing for him development wise. I don't see him coming here and being a week in week out starter. 

I would take our targets with a pinch of salt guys.

Last window we had our top targets, and it turned out we never even made a phone call to ask about them. 

Don’t let the media fool you yet again. Wait until we actually firm up interest before feeling the inevitable.

If we want him and he is a top target, we will up our bid. 

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I would take our targets with a pinch of salt guys.

Last window we had our top targets, and it turned out we never even made a phone call to ask about them. 

Don’t let the media fool you yet again. Wait until we actually firm up interest before feeling the inevitable.

If we want him and he is a top target, we will up our bid. 

We definitely are in for Gnonto though. This isn't just some shitty newspaper saying we are, it was Alan Myers.

11 hours ago, Bailey said:

This guy is ready to start and flourish in the Premier League. If he joined a team like Brighton, he would end up with at least a dozen goal contributions. People would look at him like they do now with Mitoma.

Leeds can hold out but what does that do for them? If he strops, doesnt play, gets injured etc, his price drops. If they leave it last minute, they have lost the chance to get their own replacements in to give them the best chance of staying up. 

There are a lot of hypotheticals here but I don't see Leeds turning down a reasonable offer for him. 

Like you said a lot of hypotheticals - but if he is as good as we hope (or need him to be) - he could be a massive part in possibly bring Leeds straight back to the Premiership.

I just don't think Leeds need to sell him quick or at any sort bargain price. 

Age wise Mitoma is at his peak at 26, so don't quite get the comparison. Brighton seem to have a great scouting network, and got Mitoma at a bargain. We are not going to be buying a bargain - we will be paying market rate, possibly a bit more for where Gnonto is right now. Brighton's skill is they pick up players before they are discovered by the Premiership. 

We are going to have to now pay top dollar for Gnonto, 12 months after Leeds payed a modest fee for him. That's not great or clever scouting or transfer dealing on Everton's part. In fact its piss poor. 

If we are a club on it financial arse then we need to be finding are own Mitoma's and Gnonto's, before they actually grace the Premiership. 12 months ago he cost less than £5M, signed a 5 year contract on wages that would be peanuts by Premiership standard. 

Anyway, we have probably done the hard work in destabilising the player, working up to a fee Leeds might take, only to then watch Villa nip in and buy him in anycase.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Like you said a lot of hypotheticals - but if he is as good as we hope (or need him to be) - he could be a massive part in possibly bring Leeds straight back to the Premiership.

Age wise Mitoma is at his peak at 26, so don't quite get the comparison. Brighton seem to have a great scouting network, and got Mitoma at a bargain. We are not going to be buying a bargain - we will be paying market rate, possibly a bit more for where Gnonto is right now. Brighton's skill is they pick up players before they are discovered by the Premiership. 

We are going to have to now pay top dollar for Gnonto, 12 months after Leeds payed a modest fee for him. That's not great or clever scouting or transfer dealing on Everton's part. In fact its piss poor. 

If we are a club on it financial arse then we need to be finding are own Mitoma's and Gnonto's, before they actually grace the Premiership. 12 months ago he cost less than £5M, signed a 5 year contract on wages that would be peanuts by Premiership standard. 

Anyway, we have probably done the hard work in destabilising the player, working up to a fee Leeds might take, only to then watch Villa nip in and buy him in anycase.

In fairness the difference between Gnoto last year and Gnoto now with a year of premier league matches and training under his belt is massive. Paying just 4m but committing to giving him match time to develop him is absolutely going to increase the risk of relegation as regardless of how promising young kids are they very rarely actually contribute to winning football in their first spell in a top league. 

so sure, it’s not great business to pay 15m more for Gnoto now. That said, I also don’t think it’s madness to allow another club to take on the burden of bringing him through his first year of prem league football and then nabbing him when we’re confident that he’s ready.

To be fair we could probably sell Onana at a tidy profit this season after not that amazing a first season last year.  Sure he wasn't as cheap as Gnoto but similar situation.

You might not pay as much but you will always have a risk of a player not managing it in the Premier league and the price for Gnoto is really not that high.  If he were to have a good season with us at his young age he would straight away be increasing in value, same goes for Elanga.

Sando Ramirez - joined as at the age of 22 after a good season at Malaga and potential having come through Barcelona, just 8 games and several loans later he left on a free! :D 

On the other hand we signed John Stones for 3.5m and sold him for 55m (numbers may not be accurate as i'm seeing them in euro!)

DCL joined for 1.8m and had he not had his injuries could have easily gone for a similar price to Stones.

You win some you lose some but overall I'd say getting young player for less than 20million that has some PL experience and plenty of potential is nothing to be sniffed at.

3 minutes ago, Matt Tiger said:

In fairness the difference between Gnoto last year and Gnoto now with a year of premier league matches and training under his belt is massive. Paying just 4m but committing to giving him match time to develop him is absolutely going to increase the risk of relegation as regardless of how promising young kids are they very rarely actually contribute to winning football in their first spell in a top league. 

so sure, it’s not great business to pay 15m more for Gnoto now. That said, I also don’t think it’s madness to allow another club to take on the burden of bringing him through his first year of prem league football and then nabbing him when we’re confident that he’s ready.

Its a great way to do things if you have a decent enough budget or a good turnover as a club. if we have the money to do our transfer business this way, great let other teams take the initial risks, but I get the impression money is tight with us this season, so this might be our 'big' signing. 

I think people are already burdening this 19 year old as being 'ready' to be a premier league mainstay. He is far from a finished article. We have seen enough players this age shine for a season or half a season and then dip significantly, sometime they come back and shine again and sometimes they don't.

I don't have a problem with buying young talented players this way - but a 19 year old should not be considered our 'Plan A' going in to next season as in all likelihood it will be another relegation battle. If he shines and does become one of the first names on the team sheet, then brilliant - massive bonus. However, as such a young fella he should also be allowed the time and patience to develop. Will we have this patience if a massive chuck of our transfer budget is spent on him and he doesn't hit the ground running as Plan A? A far more seasoned McNeil got plenty of stick in the first half of last season for not doing the business.  

11 hours ago, RuffRob said:

The Mitoma comparison is in terms of potential output. I.e. Gnonto could do similar numbers in a similar team IMO.

I do agree that it would be better if we got these guys first, but I believe that whatever we have to pay for Gnonto now, you will get back at the very least. I'd be fairly confident he could go on to double it if his progression continues. I wouldn't call it piss poor if we still make that profit from the signing or get our money back after a successful spell at the club.

But like you say, if Villa are involved, he will go there!