IGNORED

Duncan Ferguson

51 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

This for me as well. 

He got pretty much everything wrong yesterday, which is a shame for him, but he's done a superb job under the circumstances and he should be very proud of himself and look forward to what should be a positive future for him.

I think we have struggled with an identity crisis for quite some time... we did have a good old guard of Jags, Cahill, Baines, Distin, Howard, Osman .... slowly they evaporated away leaving us at the mercy of expensively acquired players with questionable commitment.

Yeah, its great to have a striker who can get 20 goals for the first time in years but when he is sulking, walking, moaning and telling the press he wants to leave it completely undermines everything good about the team.  Not just him... schneiderlein lazy in midfield, mirallas taking the ball off baines for a penalty...  the spirit that we had with proper professionals went very very quickly.

Fans then lose sight of what is actually important.... DCL and Gana getting slated week after week after putting effort in but supposed superstars being afforded an easy ride whilst not giving a shit.

I think Big Dunc has seen all this and he had his chance to change things.  I've never seen 2 subs get substituted and you know what - it was a joy to behold.  Any young Evertoniam would be forgiven for believing that a strikers jib is to wait around for a ball to come to him in the box. It's pissed me off for years and watching those 2 players piss off down the tunnel was the embarrassment they deserve. 

1 minute ago, London Blue said:

Cenk was awful and deserved to be subbed. If Dunk didn't sub him then it made a mockery of snubbing Kean.

Not really. The situations were completely different. 

Kean came on, didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing, switched off in a couple of key moments when we were hanging on for a win and then later for a point. 

Tosun couldn't get into the game because we had no control of the ball. DCL also became almost anonymous for about 40 minutes in the middle of the match because we couldn't get the ball into the strikers and the only reason DCL did get more into the game is because he is a monster from an athletic point of view. Tosun was still doing the basics that would have been asked of him, but he was unable to put his stamp on the game in anyway because the ball barely went near him. It's not like Kean suddenly showed how bad Tosun was when he came on because he had largely the same problems.

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I think we have struggled with an identity crisis for quite some time... we did have a good old guard of Jags, Cahill, Baines, Distin, Howard, Osman .... slowly they evaporated away leaving us at the mercy of expensively acquired players with questionable commitment.

Yeah, its great to have a striker who can get 20 goals for the first time in years but when he is sulking, walking, moaning and telling the press he wants to leave it completely undermines everything good about the team.  Not just him... schneiderlein lazy in midfield, mirallas taking the ball off baines for a penalty...  the spirit that we had with proper professionals went very very quickly.

Fans then lose sight of what is actually important.... DCL and Gana getting slated week after week after putting effort in but supposed superstars being afforded an easy ride whilst not giving a shit.

I think Big Dunc has seen all this and he had his chance to change things.  I've never seen 2 subs get substituted and you know what - it was a joy to behold.  Any young Evertoniam would be forgiven for believing that a strikers jib is to wait around for a ball to come to him in the box. It's pissed me off for years and watching those 2 players piss off down the tunnel was the embarrassment they deserve. 

Brilliant assessment Haf. 

Lol don carlo, haf you always did have a way with words.

arsenal and cup matches proved why dunc needs more learning to be a manager.  Tactics were way off and subs just not good.  The blood and thunder and big speeeches about the club got some good results but it only goes so far. If he’s able to learn the tactical side of the game more and really work on it I think he could be the future after Carlo if he does well.  But if not, I think assistant would be fine for the future.  

1 hour ago, Finn balor said:

I like a good conspiracy theory me. Carlo likes playing 4-4-2 was dunc told to play that formation with the players he had so Carlo could watch for a couple of games and give him an insight? If so that makes dunc even more selfless. Something to think about 

I doubt it. He said he didn't even speak to Ancellotti before we played the game against Arsenal. He did it all his way and deserves credit. 

8 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Thankful for what Dunc has done to restore some pride since Silva went. I think he can learn from Ancelotti in the way Arteta has at City (albeit his big test starts now). He certainly was more suited for the job than Unsy unfortunately.

Pride is the word, under Marco ( who I liked and wanted him to come here) this season if felt like we were drifting in to a state of “who gives a Fcck” To see Marco standing on the touch line with his hands in pockets passively watching us loose to all three promoted teams, and the rest was horrible, Duncs passion and pride for our club is 100% evident and was felt by the fans again at each of the games. I hope Carlo has seen that and uses Dunc  to carry it on for him as Carlo doesn’t strike me as being that demonstrative.

23 hours ago, Bailey said:

Not really. The situations were completely different. 

Kean came on, didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing, switched off in a couple of key moments when we were hanging on for a win and then later for a point. 

Tosun couldn't get into the game because we had no control of the ball. DCL also became almost anonymous for about 40 minutes in the middle of the match because we couldn't get the ball into the strikers and the only reason DCL did get more into the game is because he is a monster from an athletic point of view. Tosun was still doing the basics that would have been asked of him, but he was unable to put his stamp on the game in anyway because the ball barely went near him. It's not like Kean suddenly showed how bad Tosun was when he came on because he had largely the same problems.

Cenk was awful, I remember him drilling a 30 yard sideways pass so far wide it was laughable, I expect a pro player to make that pass every time.

The reason the ball went nowhere nearbhim is because he has no end product. We needed to make a change, he was the worst player on the pitch and just like Kean had to come off.

5 hours ago, London Blue said:

Cenk was awful, I remember him drilling a 30 yard sideways pass so far wide it was laughable, I expect a pro player to make that pass every time.

The reason the ball went nowhere nearbhim is because he has no end product. We needed to make a change, he was the worst player on the pitch and just like Kean had to come off.

If it's the pass I am thinking of, it was a pass to Davies but he left it for Sidibe. Sidibe then couldn't make up the ground to stop it going out of play. Plus to pick up Cenk on a pass when the whole team couldn't find a man 5 yards away is a strange one.

I don't disagree with the last paragraph.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

If it's the pass I am thinking of, it was a pass to Davies but he left it for Sidibe. Sidibe then couldn't make up the ground to stop it going out of play. Plus to pick up Cenk on a pass when the whole team couldn't find a man 5 yards away is a strange one.

I don't disagree with the last paragraph.

It’s definitely not the one you’re thinking of. Davies is at full stretch to get it so he definitely wasn’t leaving it for anyone. And it was hit towards the left side of the pitch from the right, so Sidibe wouldn’t have been in the vicinity. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56564356

Micah Richards: From the videos and how big he is... Stam walked away, Keane walked away. He's got to be number one. He's got the eyes, you wouldn't mess with him.

Shearer: I played against him and I played with him. You know when someone has an aura about them. He had a presence when he walked in, the size of him. He had this reputation and he didn't disappoint. If looks could kill, he could kill you with a look. I don't know anyone in the game who doesn't think that about him. You could see the fear in defenders' eyes in the tunnel. To go into battle with him was magnificent. Most defenders were petrified to go near him. He could fight with the best of them, tackle with the best of them. He was unplayable in the air. What a good player he was. He scored an unbelievable half-volley on the turn against Manchester United at St James' Park. He was the hardest. He was frightened of nothing or no-one.

Anyone who's been on TT for a while will know I was never his biggest fan as a player, but he's now become emblematic of all that is good about Everton. His heart, has any player embraced the club and loved it more than him ever? And he's gone from being this scary bastard on the pitch to being a loved kind of "best uncle" figure to our kids coming through who he just seems to inspire, very happy the club have seen fit to keep him on through multiple managerial changes.

I think he was very underrated as a player. People looked at him as just a bully, and that was his own doing.

But on his day he scored bullet headers, twenty yarders on the turn, half volleys on the turn. He was an excellent player that never got where his ability warranted due to his fierce reputation and short fuse.

Still one of my favourites and always will be, best  moment of last season was the equaliser against Leicester in the cup... his celebration was immense.

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

How does Costa make that list :rolleyes:

Apart from Dunc I don't think I'd be intimidated by any of the others that make the list and I'm an overweight nobody. They all just seem to be dirty players rather than hard.

Be more scared of the big fuckers like Unsworth, Diop, and Samba.

3 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I think he was very underrated as a player. People looked at him as just a bully, and that was his own doing.

But on his day he scored bullet headers, twenty yarders on the turn, half volleys on the turn. He was an excellent player that never got where his ability warranted due to his fierce reputation and short fuse.

Still one of my favourites and always will be, best  moment of last season was the equaliser against Leicester in the cup... his celebration was immense.

Vastly underrated but more to his own fault. Missed a lot of football due to niggles, niggles he'd probably not have had if the alcohol wasn't slowing his body from recovering.

When fit he proved he was a far better striker than Rio Ferdinand was a defender and he's lauded as world class.

• 2 months later...