IGNORED

Ashley Williams

He's come here from Swansea and contributed very little, he won't leave of his own free will he's on the most money of his career this is his pension fund, I don't think he cares if he plays or not he just here for the money, we need to pay him off so we can move on, he's a parasite that needs exterminating fucking pounce.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

No, we signed him as one of the most consistent centre backs in the Premier League on the back of a very good Euro 16’ tournament for him personally and for Wales. As a result, our defence improved on the previous 2 seasons. Sadly, this season, he looks short of confidence, off form, ‘too big’ and most worryingly, plainly uninterested. At the time we signed him he was what we were crying out for... now though... we need to replace him ASAP.

Agree with this completely. Some defenders get slower over time. Williams, it seems, transformed over the summer from an experienced, influential, and useful centre back to a slow, struggling, and sometimes disinterested defender. How would we react if we found out that our speed and intensity were gone forever? We'd probably give up in some games as a matter of frustration. I don't subscribe to the opinion that he's now just stealing a pay packet: I suspect he really wants to get back to his former self but is simply unable to. In that case, we have little option but to drop him from the team. It's harsh, but that's why good managers are paid big bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear what you are saying , I also said Williams had a decent game against the redshite but unfortunately for him he was outvoted by Jonjoe and Rooney. 

I know it's not the Bible but the motm is a good indication as to who did or didn't play well, as there is usually five or more players who get a mention and at least one vote. Even Holgate got two votes against the reds.

I think it's strange that those people who are disputing the point, actually voted for somebody else not Williams. !!

I don't know if its because he's not liked by people but he just doesn't get votes, more than half the team got votes at Newcastle, 6 players in fact and he didn't get one vote. Even Coco the clown Martina got a vote.

You'll always have people defending him because he's only average, when he plays a little above average people thing he's had a great game.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He seems to be one of the ones that’s benefitted most from Allardyce simplifying things - see ball, get ball as far away from our goal as possible. 

yeah but it's more than that.  his positioning is better, his decisions are better, heading is better, even his heading on set pieces in attack is better.  like night and day with him, he looks just like he did as swans now (which i thought he was excellent then).  maybe he's just used to sitting back and being battered and defending for his life.  not a flair defender ala stones.

On 13/12/2017 at 09:04, Matt said:

So if the team plays very well but here’s 1 player who steals the show and gets the votes, that means none of the rest played well?

Then does that mean we need to change the way we vote for MotM, because when I vote for a player I'm not thinking the rest were poor but you can only pick one, can we have an Olympic style vote were we pick Bronze, Silver, Gold and for good measure you can if you wish name the player you were most disappointed with, that way we may get a fairer reflection of more of the players over the whole season, what do people think.

yeah but it's more than that.  his positioning is better, his decisions are better, heading is better, even his heading on set pieces in attack is better.  like night and day with him, he looks just like he did as swans now (which i thought he was excellent then).  maybe he's just used to sitting back and being battered and defending for his life.  not a flair defender ala stones.

He has just gone back to basics and is no longer being asked to do things he is just not comfortable with

He was better at Newcastle, back to last years form.

I didn’t agree with people anfield as he gave the ball away, hoofed at every chance and his control was awful at times. We scraped through but he made me nervous the whole match.

But against Newcastle he was dominant and bullied there forward line, like an old fashioned centre half. Hope this is a return to form for him.