IGNORED

Ashley Williams

17 hours ago, plaidharper said:

1 year older.  Looks to have gained weight and lost fitness over the summer.  For someone who is paid to be in shape, he is not doing himself any favors. 

To keep that suggests something isn't right between his ears. He had obviously been living the life over the summer forgetting about how his wages are paid. You would never get that with Barry.

It's time for Holgate to take his place now.

He may be young and inexperienced but there is no way on earth he will make as many mistakes and sit so deep in every defensive situation we are involved in.

I've not seen a defender play so badly for us since I can remember.

Just now, Aidan Lewis said:

It's time for Holgate to take his place now.

He may be young and inexperienced but there is no way on earth he will make as many mistakes and sit so deep in every defensive situation we are involved in.

I've not seen a defender play so badly for us since I can remember.

Him being so deep is the main issue imo. 

Just now, Bailey said:

Him being so deep is the main issue imo. 

I don't know, the last Europa game out he passed the ball to the striker and he popped it in the net, almost did it again today and was very lucky we got away with it.

Last season I thought he was our strongest most consistent centre half. I invested faith into him this season to at least continue that but he has abosultely crashed and burned.

This is from the motm thread which  Mike does a great job of keeping all the figures updated.

Considering that Williams played more games than most his total votes for the season amounted to 30, from 38 league and cup games its less than one point per game, Holgate and Davies scored a lot more than him from less than half the games he played.  We even had two crap goalies who got more points.

He should have been replaced in the summer window, and hopefully he will be in the January window, also need a Top striker in Jan.

Idrissa Gana Gueye...208
Ross Barkley...177
Romelu Lukaku...169
Tom Davies...106
Maarten Stekelenburg...69
Joel Robles...68
Mason Holgate...56
Phil Jagielka...54
Seamus Coleman...52
Gareth Barry...40
Morgan Schneiderlin...35
Yannick Bolasie...31
Ashley Williams...30
Kevin Mirallas...27

He blew hot and cold yesterday for me, he made some awful errors, climbing over the back of Wood on a few occasions, poor passes out of defence, one awful attempted pass forward that ran straight out of play near the new of the game, he then pulled his shirt over his head, does he really think we can't see him if he does that, he's meant to be a grown man and leader, he's certainly not showing that in any way or form this season. Every time he had to chase a Burnley player he looked totally gassed after it.

Then he made some good blocks and a couple of strong headers, and I could hear him shouting at the other players.

I think he needs to be given a rest from the starting line up, get fit and get his head sorted, we may even be able to get some money back on him in January.

28 minutes ago, barryj said:

As it stands he’s just cost Wales a chance of the World Cup. 

More Hennessy’s fault to be fair - hospital ball and completely unnecessary! Williams was sluggish in recovery though. He put to bed the ‘fat’ claims with his shirt swap - looks ridiculously muscular though - maybe too big.