IGNORED

Josh King

I was underwhelmed when I heard of our interest but we need players replacing the outgoings in case of injuries. King has Premier league experience and it is up to him to prove himself and given the terms of the contract I don't see how we lose. Like others have said he should be hungry to show he's worthy of a longer contract. Once he wears the shirt he's one of ours so will cheer him on.

8 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Once he wears the shirt he's one of ours so will cheer him on.

I agree with that sentiment and that’s how it should be, but the reality is very different. 
I’m still curious as to how he will fit into the team, who is going to make way for him or is he a second choice player in which case we may hardly see him. I really don’t see this as a we really wanted  him and have been following him for sometime, I see this as a oh fuck we need someone who’s available, a bit like how Delph and Iwobi arrived, the loan deal has very much taken the long term gamble out of it for sure which is a plus. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I agree with that sentiment and that’s how it should be, but the reality is very different. 
I’m still curious as to how he will fit into the team, who is going to make way for him or is he a second choice player in which case we may hardly see him. I really don’t see this as a we really wanted  him and have been following him for sometime, I see this as a oh fuck we need someone who’s available, a bit like how Delph and Iwobi arrived, the loan deal has very much taken the long term gamble out of it for sure which is a plus. 

I doubt he has come here as a nailed on starter, but he will definately be used off the bench, i am pretty confident he will be the go to replacement. Richarlison at the moment isn't making himself undroppable. Two games a week for the rest of the season means DCL may need. He has also played on the right, again Iwobi not undroppable.

Why wouldn't we want a player that can cover all the positions across the front and has a decent premier league record over four seson. (on par with the like of Richarlion and Zaha)? 

He's no worldie, but the squad is notibley better with him in. 

32 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Why wouldn't we want a player that can cover all the positions across the front and has a decent premier league record over four seson. (on par with the like of Richarlion and Zaha)? 

He's no worldie, but the squad is notibley better with him in. 

Your right why wouldn’t we, but I don’t see him as the player you just pictured, and by the apparent lack of interest in him from the rest of the league since Bournemouth were relegated you wouldn’t be surprised if many others felt the same way. Do we need another Jack of all trades master of none. 
Only time will tell, but the way we have acquired him and the contract he has been given tells me he’s not a serious contender he’s a make do just in case till the end of the season, and definitely not a Richarlison or Zaha I can see people paying 60mil for them but not him. 

8 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He was considered good enough for Man United to bid £20m for last year.

Yeah he spat the dummy out a bit cos he never got the move which you probably don't like but sort of would expect given the opportunity he had declined at a good fee. 

We were never going to get a top quality player in, it was always going to be something like this or a loan.  For me it's smart business.  He injects pace and ability to move the ball into a side void of energy and legs and there is minimal financial risk with the onus on the player to earn his future opportunities. 

Cenk Tosun had to go, absolutely shocking in his introductions in the last month or so. I would sooner have an exhausted DCL staggering about in the 91st minute than see Cenk amble on. 

I pretty much agree with most of that and the way the contract has been set out it can’t be a long term fuck up so I’m happy with that, is he better than Cenk of course Cenk was out of his depth in this league, is he good enough to move us to the next level no I don’t see him as top 4 material, I believe he’s here as a stop gap till we can get our targets next summer, and as I said in another thread sometimes Knee jerk signings can pay off. 
So step your game up DCL because we have another player coming in who likes to play centrally and get in around the 6 yard box were he scores most of his goals from, and from what most are saying he might and just might have the better knowledge than you at playing that role, because no one seems to be doubting his ability well almost no one. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Your right why wouldn’t we, but I don’t see him as the player you just pictured, and by the apparent lack of interest in him from the rest of the league since Bournemouth were relegated you wouldn’t be surprised if many others felt the same way. Do we need another Jack of all trades master of none. 
Only time will tell, but the way we have acquired him and the contract he has been given tells me he’s not a serious contender he’s a make do just in case till the end of the season, and definitely not a Richarlison or Zaha I can see people paying 60mil for them but not him. 

No, I agree he is not a Richy or Zaha - but over the last four seasons in the Prem - his number are roughly on par with both these players in terms of both goals and assists - and like you have said these player in the £60M bracket - so not realistic us spending that. He is about what we can afford and of a quality we can realistically expect to be at the club as a 'back up' forward player. 

With a Bournemouth team in the premier league Kings goal scoring rate was almost 1 in 3 (when taking pens) and around 1 in 4 without pens. So without pens and playing all games he is a  9-10 league goal a season player when playing in a bottom half of the table team. There is scope for these figure to improve in a better quality squad. Players with upwards of 15 goals a season are of a real premium.  

I think he will be more use to us on the bench (or back up) than either Cenk, Gordon, Bernard or Walcott have been over the past few years - not to mention some of the other dross we have had stinking the place. I have King in slightly higher regards than just a 'jack of all trades master of none'. 

I think he is a good fit as a back up squad player for a team realistically aiming for a top 6-7 finish this season. Chipping in with 3 or 4 additional goals, he could make the difference of one or two league positions come the end of the season.

and you do know if he had of gone to Fulham he would only have gone and scored a winner against us!! (like somebody already mentioned King has already scored more goals at Goodison than Cenk!!! I doesn't know whether I should laugh or cry at that stat!!!). 

So we could already be 3 points better off with him here anyway 😂 (that's if we beat Fulham next month!)

5 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

and you do know if he had of gone to Fulham he would only have gone and scored a winner against us!! (like somebody already mentioned King has already scored more goals at Goodison than Cenk!!! I doesn't know whether I should laugh or cry at that stat!!!). 

So we could already be 3 points better off with him here anyway 😂 (that's if we beat Fulham next month!)

He’s scored as many goals as Tosun at Goodison, so not quite as bad... :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’s scored as many goals as Tosun at Goodison, so not quite as bad... :lol: 

thanks - like I said, do you laugh or cry at a statistic like that? - it's fooking shocking really. Fingers crossed we see something like impact Jelvic had in his first 6 months when he joined on the January deadline day.

Forever optimistic with any new signing :) 

8 hours ago, Peter H said:

Ill stay optimistic but is this really the best we could get?

He’s a proven, versatile premier league player who agreed to come on a very short deal for reasonable money to a situation where he will not expect to start..in the January window. Yes, I would say this was about the best we could do. Makes all the sense in the world for us to bring in experienced cover who will be motivated by getting his next contract while keeping our options wide open in the summer when there will be many more players available and perhaps the lure of European football).

Sandro and Tosun are just two past examples of locking up unknown quantities with middling talent on longterm deals at the striker position. This is much more sensible. 

Flick back on this thread for my views on the King signing but anyone writing him off already needs to give their heads a wobble, I said in the matchday thread that I wanted him on for the pace he could use against Maguire and Lindelof.

He won the free-kick that then won us the game, so gets a massive thumbs up from me. 

If he's shite after 10 games or so fine, but not after about 20 or so minutes. 

9 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Flick back on this thread for my views on the King signing but anyone writing him off already needs to give their heads a wobble, I said in the matchday thread that I wanted him on for the pace he could use against Maguire and Lindelof.

He won the free-kick that then won us the game, so gets a massive thumbs up from me. 

If he's shite after 10 games or so fine, but not after about 20 or so minutes. 

The jury’s still out on this one but judging from past experiences he will be found guilty😉

We as you rightly say can’t judge him on those 2 appearances hardly given enough time to break into a sweat, Leeds particularly and Utd were frenetic games coming on with only a few minutes in them sort of games is near on impossible to get into the flow and speed of the game.  Whether we think he’s the right man for the club or not we need to give him fair go be for we condemn him. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

He’ll play a hell of a lot more than he did with Bournemouth, that’s guaranteed. Ancelotti wanted him here and he likes to rotate. 

I’d like to see that he’s here now till the end of the season it would be nice to know if he’s what we have been looking for, fuck me nearly burst into song 🎵