IGNORED

Josh King

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Very happy.  It’s likely 5m if we win the league.  Which we will be fine with if we do so.  Fee and length are great.  I like king and wanted him a couple years back.  He always played well against us.  

now we have proper completion for Richarlison and can have a real option off the bench.

You don't say 😂

I'd venture to say this move has less to do with King as an individual player and more to do with a finding a player who'll fit into our team and its developing structure. King's excellent at finding good positions in and around the box, so I can see DC-L benefiting from his presence. Rather than count the number of goals King scores, I'd gauge success more by how many additional goals DC-L scores. And yes, we now have cover should DC-L get injured.

I’m curious as to how we will play him has he come as cover for DCL or to take his place, or play left or right of DCL, or are we going to change the formation with 2 up front. 
I have a feeling he’s going to go up top in a 443 DCL isn’t hitting the highs of earlier in the season and could be about to pay the price for his lack of goals in the last 6 or so games. 

What I do like about this signing, similar to Godfrey is that we've got a player from supposed lower levels coming into our setup which has consisted of lazy mercenaries who think they are above the work ethic required to compete.

I'm talking about Gylfi, Gomes, Delph, Tosun etc.

Godfrey has been a breath of fresh air and this lad will too.  He is gambling on himself and good on him.  He's clearly very smart as he probably knows that our club is desperate for players who don't fuck about and put a shift in. 

I see this lad as a similar type signing to Marcus bent, someone who will positively impact those around him. 

I’m happy he’s here, we don’t seem to have rushed out and bought anyone who was available, not many good deals are done in the winter window, there seems to be a plan in our player purchases,  he can play a number of positions and has the chance to prove himself and get a long term deal if he does or elsewhere if it doesn’t work out. It’s not the big name signing we were hoping for but who would you rather have for the rest of the season, King or Tosun who has failed to make the grade yet still remains on our books? Decent bit of business imo.

Im not excited by this one bit. People are quoting 56 goals in 168 games for Bournemouth, that's in the last five years but seeing that there is 38 game a season that works out at about 5 or 6 goals a season. 

The previous 5 seasons he did even worse. His eleven year career works out at about 3 goals a season so forgive me if I don't get excited about him. More dead wood, tho I'm hoping to be proved wrong.

Edit …....  The figures are even worse than those stated its 48 goals in 173 games.

His eleven year career is only 56 goals, scroll to the bottom of the link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_King_(footballer)

15 hours ago, Matt said:

Absolutely the opposite for me. Don’t get me wrong, glad he’s coming in but the more I think about this, it’s a relatively expensive gamble which shows panic rather than thought out. 

I'll give you that, it is a weird financial deal, or at least it will look that way on the books. As others have said though, it is better than being left with dead wood we cannot shift, especially as he isn't young anymore.

I also don't think he is a gamble. He is a proven PL performer who came through the Utd academy. Even if it doesn't work out, it is less of a gamble than signing someone like Tosun on a 4-5 year deal who hasn't kicked a ball in the league.

I am looking forward to seeing him play. If him, Richie and DCL play up top one game it will be one of the most powerful attacks in the league, or maybe even in football.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I'll give you that, it is a weird financial deal, or at least it will look that way on the books. As others have said though, it is better than being left with dead wood we cannot shift, especially as he isn't young anymore.

I also don't think he is a gamble. He is a proven PL performer who came through the Utd academy. Even if it doesn't work out, it is less of a gamble than signing someone like Tosun on a 4-5 year deal who hasn't kicked a ball in the league.

I am looking forward to seeing him play. If him, Richie and DCL play up top one game it will be one of the most powerful attacks in the league, or maybe even in football.

Don’t get me wrong. I think he’s capable, he may prove to be more than that. I’m glad he’s here. Just the whole paperwork part that struggling with 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I,m looking forward to see himplay as well, but I won't be as disappointed as you will be.

Best attack in football !!  ….. Dream on Bailey.  😀

27 minutes ago, Bill said:

I,m looking forward to see himplay as well, but I won't be as disappointed as you will be.

😂

I didn't say the best attack in football! The most 'powerful' attack in football, I.e. they are all big strong lads that are like shit off a shovel as well. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

😂There’s some crazy things written on here, and trust me I don’t take myself out of that role, but there definitely getting crazier with best attack in football, in all fairness Bailey you probably wouldn’t get away with best attack in Liverpool 😉

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

If you look at this in perspective - How much movement of players actually happened in the transfer market - very little. Domestically Josh King arguably one if not the highest profile move. 

You look at other possible realistic striker options - Zirkzee - but £15m for potential, but highly unlikely to add much to the here and now situation.

I was disappointed when I saw that Milik had moved to Marseilles, as he looks good on paper - I am guessing there might be reason we didn't go for him or he opted go else where - Given the timing of the King transfer my guess is that we couldn't go for him before we offloaded, and missed the boat - or Ancelotti simply not fussed on him. Will never know.

So we may have bagged the best option available on transfer deadline day. 

Josh King has plenty of Premiership experience and he has lived (and I have read he still has a house here) in the North West, settling in should be as easier as you likely to get. Again, best you could hope for in January transfer brought in to do a instant job. 

In the Premier league King is on very similar stats for goals and assists as Richarlison (OK - Richarlison has been a young and improving player where as King has been in him prime over the same period - but end raw end produce is on par with each other) - so that's not two shabby considering Richarlison has been one of our top scorers of the past two seasons!!.  I think Josh King breathing down Richarlison's neck for game time could well lead to a upturn in Richarlison's form - if he gets back to his best - there is good value in King being here for that alone. 

Depending on who starts a game (King or Richarlison) - there should be a capable and hungry player coming off the bench and looking to prove a point.

A decent new signing usually breaths a bit of life in to a squad - there should be no doubt of our intentions for the second half of the season. 

All things consider think, Kings arrival will improved the quality of the squad. He will never be on the top of anybody's wish list, but was probably the best option available to us. It was only around 12months ago some of the 'big' club where looking to sign him (apparently)

We have also acquired him on the last risk option available to us, and will be off the books in no time if he is no good, and we will no doubt get him to sign a longer contract if he turns out to be a great fit at the club. 

I am looking forward to seeing what he can add. 

Good & fair summary. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

😂There’s some crazy things written on here, and trust me I don’t take myself out of that role, but there definitely getting crazier with best attack in football, in all fairness Bailey you probably wouldn’t get away with best attack in Liverpool 😉

FFS it's like Chinese whispers in here! 😅