IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

Forgot to post about Pirlo but he was awful at Juventus, they won the league nine years in a row (rather easily most of the time) yet under his management scraped into the Champions League on the final day, there was a serious chance that he would have taken them into the Europa League which inside a season is remarkable. 

Yes he won two trophies, but it's a bit like being relegated but getting a trophy for selling the best hot dogs. 

36 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Forgot to post about Pirlo but he was awful at Juventus, they won the league nine years in a row (rather easily most of the time) yet under his management scraped into the Champions League on the final day, there was a serious chance that he would have taken them into the Europa League which inside a season is remarkable. 

Yes he won two trophies, but it's a bit like being relegated but getting a trophy for selling the best hot dogs. 

I think a bit of context is needed though. Sarri, a very experienced manager, won the league with 83 points last season. 

This year, Pirlo, who hadn't even completed his coaching badges when he was appointed, finished the season with 78 points. They scored more and conceded less under Pirlo than they did under Sarri. On the other stats, they also performed better than they did last season. I don't really know what Juve were expecting?

My impression is that Juve are a team on the slide, which has no doubt been enhanced by their money troubles. The Italian league has a lot of wise old heads which no doubt also found him out. 

He is another manager that falls in the too early to tell category and it will be interesting to see where he goes next. 

Based on Conte's reasons for ending discussions with Spurs, I've dropped him from my list. We need to work with our youth program and not pretend we can compete with the big money spent by teams ahead of us in the league.

Learning more about Conceicao, he quit Nantes when an opportunity arose to coach in Portugal (and be closer to his family). He doesn't sound like a long-term option to me.

I've taken the liberty to add a poll, although I had to curtail the list to 20 names (which just shows that, right now, we don't have a clue who should be our next manager). I'm a big believer in the wisdom of crowds, so it will be interesting to see whether any consensus favourite emerges from this process.

Bielsa and Conte are the only ones that I'd be happy with from that list, although I did vote Benitez too as I could get behind it (but wouldn't do laps around my garden). 

Couldn't pick another two as there's just so much drivel on that list, I'd actually have Gallardo (River Plate) on my "happy list" but he's not been included in the poll. 

Instant bans for anyone voting Moyes, Santo or Howe.

7 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Learning more about Conceicao, he quit Nantes when an opportunity arose to coach in Portugal (and be closer to his family). He doesn't sound like a long-term option to me.

Despite shying away from contract talks, it's heavily rumoured that Conceiçáo has signed an extension with FC Porto and we're just waiting for the club themselves to formally announce it to the media. 

I'd be very surprised if he joined us, or anyone else for that matter. He moved back to his homeland to be closer to his family as you say and despite losing the title is doing an acceptable job on the whole - he won't go.

Edit: Just on Sarri, the way he lost the dressing room at Chelsea scares me. I just don't think he could hack working with a tricky squad, which sadly I think is what we have.

• StevO featured and unfeatured this topic

I don't want to depress anyone but there are rumours going around that Steve Bruce is emerging as one of the club's main targets.

Anyway, I voted Conte (but it's never happening), Parker (1st choice of realistic targets), Martinez and Potter.  

28 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

I don't want to depress anyone but there are rumours going around that Steve Bruce is emerging as one of the club's main targets.

40/1 with the bookies, never going to happen, not a cat in hells chance. But if you really think it's going to happen invest £20 and you'll have £800 to drown your sorrows with.

My votes…

Conceicao - seems nasty and someone who would get into this lot. He’s won some big games over the past couple of seasons - just get a good feeling about him but rumours are that he’s signed a new contract with Porto.

Rangnick - the bloke is a genius but would he want to be a coach again after being more of a DoF? Would it work with Brands? Just can’t see this one.

Conte - genuine world class coach - we’re not getting him but I was asking who I wanted and I want him! If Simeone was an option, he’d have my vote!

Favre - plays good football - decent CV - could be an interesting/realistic target.

Nuno - always thought he did a very good job at Wolves - the Wolves fans absolutely worship him. Last season stood out but key injuries in Boly, Jimenez, Johnny, Neto, big sales in Jota and Doherty, trying something new e.g. moving away from the back 5 and a very short pre-season with them going far in the Europa last season (19/20). Seems another realistic choice and I like the idea of Mendes helping us out on a player or 2. Love Nuno’s passion too.

Potter stands out too but I’m not sure he’s the character we need currently.

I think Christopher Galtier - he did so well with that Lille team and after doing some research I think he had them set up tactically so well. Really compact narrow 442 style defence that pushed opposing teams wide and lilles CB were confident dealing with crosses - Mina, Keane & Godfrey are all strong in this area. Attack was fluid passing game. 

All in all I just want to see us play good progressive football and be organised. 

Interesting leading group of TT favs. 

Of the front runners_

Not sure I think Conte would be a good fit for us. Massive wages and not sure I see him as somebody who would stick it out trying to break in to the top 6 - end up one of two ways - does OK and does an Ancelotti and fooks off soon as a big budget club comes a calling, or flops with us and a average bunch of players and costs us an arm and a leg to get shut. What a don't see is steady improvement over  3 or 4 years. 

Potter looks popular - totally different to Conte, will be on more modest wages, looking to prove himself on a bigger platform. More likely to be with us much longer term, can't see Europe's elite clambering for him even if we do improve and break in to the top 6. Think he would be a good fit, but would feel a bit shady on Brighton stealing him away. Don't think James and Richy would be overly keen to hang around, and might struggle to get bigger name players enthused to sign - although that might not be that bad a think.  

Ralph Rangnick is gain different and not sure why he is so popular for head coach managers position - as he has not been coaching for a while in my eyes. I would see him more as a replacement for Brands. Think he would be a strange choice, and not entirely sure its the type of job he would want. 

One I do find interesting is Farve - he looks a popular choice on fans short list (myself included) and he is available. However, he is well down the list with the bookies, which seems strange. 

What is clear there is no real obviously stand out candidate.  

8 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Surely if we were going for Espirito Santo it'd be done by now, he's a free agent after all so no complex negotiation.

I think they would have to rightly interview a few candidates first, it sounds like a fair few have put their hat in the ring for the job (not sure of the quality of them though). Still only a week since bombshell was dropped on us.

4 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Brands is awaiting the results of our poll.

joking aside, they would actually do well to take some note of what the fans feelings are on potential candidates and the footballing philosophy they trying to entertain us will over the next few years. Not sure I could stomach a continuation of the dross we where watching at the end of this season. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Shocked at the amount of votes Benetiz has. Steve Bruce has done a better job at Newcastle. 

Yet Newcastle fans love Rafa and hate Bruce. 

Some of the football played under Rafa was dreadful. Bruce isn't much better but at least they now have a go every now and then!

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

joking aside, they would actually do well to take some note of what the fans feelings are on potential candidates and the footballing philosophy they trying to entertain us will over the next few years. Not sure I could stomach a continuation of the dross we where watching at the end of this season. 

I hope they consider a manager who is forward thinking and innovative. 

I hope they dont take the average Everton fans opinion too far into consideration though 🙄

21 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Yet Newcastle fans love Rafa and hate Bruce. 

Some of the football played under Rafa was dreadful. Bruce isn't much better but at least they now have a go every now and then!

Find it baffling. As you say the football under Rafa was awful to watch. Remember looking at them and they'd never scored more than 2 goals under him (possibly other than against us, assuming that's why I looked at the stat).

Bruce took over a much worse team as well with them losing their best two players, can't remember the strikers name and Perez.

4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Find it baffling. As you say the football under Rafa was awful to watch. Remember looking at them and they'd never scored more than 2 goals under him (possibly other than against us, assuming that's why I looked at the stat).

Bruce took over a much worse team as well with them losing their best two players, can't remember the strikers name and Perez.

They are probably a bit similar to us with Carlo. Can’t believe their club got a manager of that pedigree, so even when the football is shit think it will get better soon because of who he is?

Im with you, Bruce has done a better job. 

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Think that would be a recipe for disaster , we would have had the likes of Phil Brown and Ian Holloway installed in no time just because they won 3 games on the trot !

15 minutes ago, StevO said:

They are probably a bit similar to us with Carlo. Can’t believe their club got a manager of that pedigree, so even when the football is shit think it will get better soon because of who he is?

Im with you, Bruce has done a better job. 

Think with us Ancelotti had a pass this year on reputation, plus with our fans for the most part blaming the players for not being suited/good enough for the manager to change things. Even then there were still a few justified grumbles.

Probably the biggest thing that has pissed me off with Ancelotti. We gave him time as be it was a long term project.