IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

Galtier still falls into the Potter camp for me.

He spent several years at Saint Ettiene and they did win a league cup beating Stade Rennais. His cup record aside from that is very poor both domestically and abroad. Since he left St Ettiene finished higher than they did with him and they reached the FA Cup final equivalent. 

He joined Lille in December 2017 and guided the club from 18th to 17th escaping relegation by a single point. He then saw a transformation, albeit with some significant help from his DoF. They came 4th and then won the league.

The 4th position came in the curtailed season when they played 28 out of 38 games. They ended with a goal difference of 8, which would get you about 8th over here based on the last three seasons.

They then went on to incredibly win the league this season, conceding only 23 goals. That won them the league. They were outperformed on scoring in real terms and in expected goals. 

I just cannot suddenly see any reason why after all of those years in management that it built up to this league win. There is nothing in his record to suggest he would back it up either. I could be hopelessly wrong but it just looks like one of those great footballing stories that gets thrown up every now and then. 

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Galtier still falls into the Potter camp for me.

He spent several years at Saint Ettiene and they did win a league cup beating Stade Rennais. His cup record aside from that is very poor both domestically and abroad. Since he left St Ettiene finished higher than they did with him and they reached the FA Cup final equivalent. 

He joined Lille in December 2017 and guided the club from 18th to 17th escaping relegation by a single point. He then saw a transformation, albeit with some significant help from his DoF. They came 4th and then won the league.

The 4th position came in the curtailed season when they played 28 out of 38 games. They ended with a goal difference of 8, which would get you about 8th over here based on the last three seasons.

They then went on to incredibly win the league this season, conceding only 23 goals. That won them the league. They were outperformed on scoring in real terms and in expected goals. 

I just cannot suddenly see any reason why after all of those years in management that it built up to this league win. There is nothing in his record to suggest he would back it up either. I could be hopelessly wrong but it just looks like one of those great footballing stories that gets thrown up every now and then. 

You got it wrong a bit.  The season after saving them from relegation Lille got 2nd, then 4th and then won the league. That's very consistent form over 3 full seasons. You are right their DOF brought him a lot of quality, something we're at hit and miss with Marcel. Luis Campos left as well, so apparently he'll want to join Galtier with his next appointment? Are we ready to give up on Brands?

@Bailey My jaw dropped when I just read you mentioning 'expected goals' to talk down the achievement of a surprise league win that no one expected. Mate, this affair with expected goals has to stop 🤣

In all seriousness guys, really surprised by the Nuno thing. I just assumed it was an obvious choice and would be pretty nailed on. Not because he's my favourite or anything, just thought it all added up. Ha.

Anyway. Bit lost now. But reading up on this Galtier bloke, he sounds like he's done a good progressive job, like what we need. Only problem is, well...the Expected Goals were a bit low last season. Would need to address that as a matter of urgency.

Honestly I think we could be a pretty attractive prospect for any manager really. Think about it, 4 out of the last 5 went onto potentially the biggest and best jobs they could have landed whilst not even having to succeed with us. ( I refuse to count big sam )

Moyes - Man U. Martinez - Belgium. Koeman - Barca. Carlo - Real Madrid.

So if any one fancies the City, Bayern or PSG job just throw 18 months here and it’s pretty much yours I figure.

10 hours ago, London Blue said:

I'm not ready to give up on Brands, I don't think the majority of fans are.

Why though? What has he done to earn so much support? In my opinion our player recruitment is below par under his management. Where are the exciting young signings ala DCL we were all expecting? Brands is Dutch, we all know about the Dutch pool of talents and I remember when he came we're all exited and were chatting about incoming Dutch prospects, but it's been 3 years and I'm wondering where are they?! He's mainly signing top club rejects, of which only Digne worked out. Some big fish in small pond ala Godfrey, Doucoure who are considered safe signings and we paid premium to get them and the rest is a bull crap. Sorry, but nothing convinces me that he's doing a good job. We are where we are because of bad management and bad recruitment. If we do not hold the people responsible for the latter, no matter how many managers we change, we won't move forward.

this all sounds a bit strange regarding Nuno - media say CP now not interested due to increased demands after speaking to Everton. That would suggest Everton offered him something and he either turned it down, or has also sounded out CP while he mulls over our offer. All sounds a bit fishy, as this sort of tactic would in the end see him at neither club - or at least it shouldn't. Wouldn't think he was that sort after to be able to play clubs against each other, and still have them wanting to sign him. 

Crikey. That's some turn of events. Interesting.

Honestly think whoever gets this job is literally just 2 or 3 attacking players - with pace and a bit of va va voom, away from having a team with much more potential than we've seen for a while. I'm not saying top 4, but certainly better than mid table. We just need more, well better, options in the final 3rd. Strength in depth will be an issue for a few more years mind.

Just hope whoever it is gets a fair go at it.

3 hours ago, Haiku said:

Why though? What has he done to earn so much support? In my opinion our player recruitment is below par under his management. Where are the exciting young signings ala DCL we were all expecting? Brands is Dutch, we all know about the Dutch pool of talents and I remember when he came we're all exited and were chatting about incoming Dutch prospects, but it's been 3 years and I'm wondering where are they?! He's mainly signing top club rejects, of which only Digne worked out. Some big fish in small pond ala Godfrey, Doucoure who are considered safe signings and we paid premium to get them and the rest is a bull crap. Sorry, but nothing convinces me that he's doing a good job. We are where we are because of bad management and bad recruitment. If we do not hold the people responsible for the latter, no matter how many managers we change, we won't move forward.

Go to the Brands thread, you’ll find plenty of opinions on him and what his job entails and why he has support. 

15 hours ago, Haiku said:

You got it wrong a bit.  The season after saving them from relegation Lille got 2nd, then 4th and then won the league. That's very consistent form over 3 full seasons. You are right their DOF brought him a lot of quality, something we're at hit and miss with Marcel. Luis Campos left as well, so apparently he'll want to join Galtier with his next appointment? Are we ready to give up on Brands?

Quite correct! Thanks for looking into it, I was sure they finished 2nd last year and then couldn't understand why they were 4th. Now it all makes sense!

I didn't realise Luis Campos left as well, although looking at the articles he is going to other clubs. I cannot see us removing Brands, especially as he is leading the search. It would be like a turkey voting for Christmas!

Taking another look at the "lost" season, this makes me more positive on him. 3 solid years with a side that should be challenging for those positions with the quality in the squad. That sounds like a slight but clearly the guys before him couldn't do it, albeit largely without Campos. The important things for me are that:

1. They conceded the least goals in the league (supporting this seasons achievement)

2. They scored (and were expected to score) a decent amount of goals (3rd most in the league). For the purpose of comparing them to this season, they also outperformed what was expected of them. It is a good trait to have if you do it consistently, and this now looks more like a pattern than an anomaly.

3. Looking at the results of the 2nd season, they won 6 of their last 7 conceding only 1 goal in those wins. Whilst they had a couple of poor results over the festive period, it looked like they got their act together and brought that momentum into this season. In the game they lost they also missed a penalty and conceded an own goal so on another day that could have been a different result as well.

I do still have concerns about his performances in the cup competitions but if Brands can do a similar job to Campos then I would be happy with his appointment to see what he could do. I certainly put him above other candidates being listed, albeit it would be a bit of a risk.

14 hours ago, Newty82 said:

@Bailey My jaw dropped when I just read you mentioning 'expected goals' to talk down the achievement of a surprise league win that no one expected. Mate, this affair with expected goals has to stop 🤣

In all seriousness guys, really surprised by the Nuno thing. I just assumed it was an obvious choice and would be pretty nailed on. Not because he's my favourite or anything, just thought it all added up. Ha.

Anyway. Bit lost now. But reading up on this Galtier bloke, he sounds like he's done a good progressive job, like what we need. Only problem is, well...the Expected Goals were a bit low last season. Would need to address that as a matter of urgency.

That wasn't my only concern Newty and you know it. Stop fishing for likes. :)

Potter or Galtier for me, if I had to choose it would be Potter due to his PL experience and the quality of football his Brighton side played. With better players and resources I can see him being a success and getting us into Europe.

I have a good feeling about him being our manager.

8 hours ago, RuffRob said:

this all sounds a bit strange regarding Nuno - media say CP now not interested due to increased demands after speaking to Everton. That would suggest Everton offered him something and he either turned it down, or has also sounded out CP while he mulls over our offer. All sounds a bit fishy, as this sort of tactic would in the end see him at neither club - or at least it shouldn't. Wouldn't think he was that sort after to be able to play clubs against each other, and still have them wanting to sign him. 

Possibly agent intervention the more they can get him the more they can get for themselves. 

2 minutes ago, London Blue said:

I hope not. But will support him if it is.

There’s realistically nobody else out there. Although I’d be underwhelmed by it, looking at the bigger picture we need someone to come in who’ll be willing to start something and stay. Big named managers aren’t the answer. They will jump ship as proved by Ancelotti. That type of manager came too early for us. We aren’t at that stage. We need someone to come in and build a good squad get us into Europe then move up the ladder. Out of all the candidates I think Nuno suits us right now. 

2 minutes ago, MC11 said:

There’s realistically nobody else out there. Although I’d be underwhelmed by it, looking at the bigger picture we need someone to come in who’ll be willing to start something and stay. Big named managers aren’t the answer. They will jump ship as proved by Ancelotti. That type of manager came too early for us. We aren’t at that stage. We need someone to come in and build a good squad get us into Europe then move up the ladder. Out of all the candidates I think Nuno suits us right now. 

I think both Potter or Galtier are realistic choices, and match your criteria, both play better football then Wolves did under Nuno.

6 minutes ago, MC11 said:

I'm not sure fans will be happy with Nuno's sit back and counter type of football though. I'm still hoping for Galtier and if he can bring 1 or 2 of his stars from Lille we will push on.