IGNORED

Marco Silva

7 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I feel it’s the opposite.

I feel like he’s trying to force a system on players that aren’t capable of playing it. Siggurdson isn’t anywhere near as bad as he looks. He only looks like this because of the way we play. 

We play DCL up top. Why aren’t we instructing the wingers to throw crosses into him?

When Kean comes on, we play long balls up to him?

Sigurdsson flopped badly at Spurs. And for all that he can score attractive goals we've not been great since he's been at the club, under three different managers. How do you think we should play with him in the side? He seems to just want to be fed balls 30 yards from goal. 

3 minutes ago, nogs said:

Richarlison? Walcott? Iwobi? What are they if they're not wingers/wide forwards? 

I’m not counting walcott cos he doesn’t play. But Bernard, Charly and iwobi are not wingers. Their first instinct is to go inside not outside like a winger who wants to beat their fullback and get crosses in 

2 minutes ago, nogs said:

Sigurdsson flopped badly at Spurs. And for all that he can score attractive goals we've not been great since he's been at the club, under three different managers. How do you think we should play with him in the side? He seems to just want to be fed balls 30 yards from goal. 

So badly poch questioned why he was sold and wanted him there.  He said he would have been the solution to their creativity issues.  

6 minutes ago, nogs said:

I don’t think he’s a number 10. No10s need to be tricky and clever, and able to find gaps through defenders.

Siggy is more a wide player for me. Don’t think he’s better than what we have, but I do think he is more effective when out there. Not as a winger, but a wide option for a compact midfield.

22 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I don’t think he’s a number 10. No10s need to be tricky and clever, and able to find gaps through defenders.

Siggy is more a wide player for me. Don’t think he’s better than what we have, but I do think he is more effective when out there. Not as a winger, but a wide option for a compact midfield.

So would you play him wide in a 4-4-2?

7 hours ago, Bill said:

Think you must have enjoyed the back end of last season when we beat teams from the top six comfortably, by playing good exciting football.

Dont panic Pete we shall see it again.

I enjoyed the results but not the football. Said at the time and was laughed at for the most part. For me the signs were there, we played the same tactics (which don't create enough clear/good chances), almost same eleven, and for the most part the subs were too late and nonsensical as either they were like-for-like subs when we needed something different or just bizarre leaving us with no clear formation. 

29 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

So badly poch questioned why he was sold and wanted him there.  He said he would have been the solution to their creativity issues.  

He was nearly sold back to Reading 6 months after arriving at Spurs. He scored 8 goals in 58 games and was quickly overshadowed by Eriksen. 

7 minutes ago, nogs said:

Depends on the pace of the opposition whether I'd play him over the other three left wingers. If the opposition aren't particularly quick he could start with Digne giving the overlap in any formation.

35 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

I’m not counting walcott cos he doesn’t play. But Bernard, Charly and iwobi are not wingers. Their first instinct is to go inside not outside like a winger who wants to beat their fullback and get crosses in 

I don't really agree that a winger is defined by whether a player runs for the touchline or cuts inside. But I take your point, that is what they prefer to do. So again the question would be, they've been signed with a certain style of football in mind. But for the life of me I can't work out what that is or how it's meant to be working atm. 

1 minute ago, pete0 said:

Depends on the pace of the opposition whether I'd play him over the other three left wingers. If the opposition aren't particularly quick he could start with Digne giving the overlap in any formation.

It's his mobility up and down that would worry me. Think of how much work Pienaar uses to do covering for Baines, I dunno if he has that in his locker. 

9 minutes ago, nogs said:

I personally wouldn’t pick him in my 442. But if I had to shoehorn him in, it would be on the side of a compact midfield with two up top. His best games for club and country have came from playing from deeper.

Hes no good so far forward.

17 minutes ago, nogs said:

He was nearly sold back to Reading 6 months after arriving at Spurs. He scored 8 goals in 58 games and was quickly overshadowed by Eriksen. 

Eriksen wasnt there his whole time. He was mostly subbed on at the end of the game for Dempsey hence the bad stats, he was barely playing.  I watched them a lot back then cause I loved Dempsey.  Again if poch said publicly he would have solved their creativity issues and he questioned why he was sold before he started as a manager without them consenting him, it’s all fact out there via google.  But go ahead and believe whatever fits your agenda

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Been thinking about this myself.

Silva seems to be determined to make the players we have play to his system. A good manager does just that, manages.

He looks at what he has and adapts his tactics to suit his players, while also teaching/training them his preferred system. We don’t have fast one touch players in the team who can play that pressure football. Keane and Mina don’t have the ability to stroke the ball around at the back. 

Silva needs to mix it up a bit and work with what he has, not what he wants.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

I feel it’s the opposite.

I feel like he’s trying to force a system on players that aren’t capable of playing it. Siggurdson isn’t anywhere near as bad as he looks. He only looks like this because of the way we play. 

We play DCL up top. Why aren’t we instructing the wingers to throw crosses into him?

When Kean comes on, we play long balls up to him?

I think the opposite to you. 😂

Siggy plays where he does because that is where he is perceived to be able to do the most damage. 

DCL does also play because we do throw a lot of balls forward and we do put in a lot of crosses. 

This isn't how Silva played at Watford. They were mainly 433 with a single pivot (being Doucoure with Cleverly as the most attacking of the 3) but they did also go to a 5 at the back. I don't know what he did at Hull though. 

I think the players that have come in will more suit how he would ideally like to play, probably JPG behind Delph and Gomes.

I doubt he is going to get the time to see that through though.

42 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

Eriksen wasnt there his whole time. He was mostly subbed on at the end of the game for Dempsey hence the bad stats, he was barely playing.  I watched them a lot back then cause I loved Dempsey.  Again if poch said publicly he would have solved their creativity issues and he questioned why he was sold before he started as a manager without them consenting him, it’s all fact out there via google.  But go ahead and believe whatever fits your agenda

No agenda. It's equally 'fact out there via google' that he never established himself at Spurs and was moved on accordingly. But hey, maybe Poch will be so keen to work with a player he admires so much that he'll jump at the chance to come manage us and turn Sigurdsson into the creative genius he hasn't been for us over the past three years. 🤔

4 hours ago, nogs said:

I don't get this at all. If Silva really want to play 4-3-3, then why isn't he? Does he feel he has to play Sigurdsson, and adapts the system to suit him? Or does he feel he hasn't got the players to play the way he wants, especially in the middle? Even if that is the case, playing the same way that got Koeman sacked two years ago is just madness. 

I think he feels he has to play Siggy, due to his price tag maybe, and I have no idea why he plays Schneiderlin, he must be a demon in training. 

6 hours ago, Shukes said:

Been thinking about this myself.

Silva seems to be determined to make the players we have play to his system. A good manager does just that, manages.

He looks at what he has and adapts his tactics to suit his players, while also teaching/training them his preferred system. We don’t have fast one touch players in the team who can play that pressure football. Keane and Mina don’t have the ability to stroke the ball around at the back. 

Silva needs to mix it up a bit and work with what he has, not what he wants.

But most of the team have been replaced while he’s been here. If they can’t play to his game plan now then what next?

7 hours ago, StevO said:

But most of the team have been replaced while he’s been here. If they can’t play to his game plan now then what next?

This is where I’m losing my faith in him to be honest. If it was just other managers players, then I would be saying he needs more time. But these are his players.

Bailey. You may know more about his previous than me, which admittedly is nothing haha. I just don’t see where he is going with his tactics anymore.

But I think our wingers cut back inside the majority of the time rather than put crosses in. I honestly don’t see more than three or four crosses get anywhere near DCL each game. Hoofing nothing balls up to him to flick on to absolutely nobody... I agree with you there 😉

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

He's saying that the players need to be braver, and they do, but so does he. In fact, it's not even about him being brave, it's about using common sense. Playing two holding midfielders is stifling us and forcing us to go wide every single time, meaning we're very predictable. So change it, get rid of one them. Sigurdsson is as useful as a chocolate tea pot so drop him. We might actually find someone who can make things happen, but do it for no other reason than to give him a kick up the arse. Zonal marking at set pieces is killing us, so fucking stop it. Go man for man, even just for a couple of games to see if it helps. 

I can't understand why you'd do the same things that aren't working over and over when it's your job and reputation on the line.

It's surprising how most of us here agree on what's needed: Stop with the two holding midfielders and aimless passing, drop Sigurdsson since he doesn't fit with the way we play, and stop with the zonal marking on defence. Add urgency and energy, and don't be so predictable. I'm convinced that changes like this would have a big effect.

I was pleased when he came because I thought he could play the football the fans wanted to see, we seen it in a few good games at the end of last season which filled us all with great expectations but as the saying goes .. One swallow doesn't make it summer.

After one of the easiest starts to a season he's living on borrowed time, 3 games ago we had the opportunity to go into the top four, three games later we are in the bottom four.  He's the bookies favourite  to be the first one to go, there's been nothing at all said by the club so I've no idea what's going to happen, but things need to change very very soon.

34 minutes ago, Bill said:

I was pleased when he came because I thought he could play the football the fans wanted to see, we seen it in a few good games at the end of last season which filled us all with great expectations but as the saying goes .. One swallow doesn't make it summer.

After one of the easiest starts to a season he's living on borrowed time, 3 games ago we had the opportunity to go into the top four, three games later we are in the bottom four.  He's the bookies favourite  to be the first one to go, there's been nothing at all said by the club so I've no idea what's going to happen, but things need to change very very soon.

If they've decided to give him one more game then best say nothing. If they give him the vote of confidence that usually spells the end. Maybe they are looking at alternatives as we speak.

18 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Part of being a football fan, especially a Blue, is learning to celebrate the highs for as long as possible and forget the lows as soon as possible. I'm sorry but this just fucking sucks. We had so much momentum coming into the season, a pretty good transfer window and an easy set of fixtures to start. Add to that 3rd/4th (Champs League) is more open this year than it has been in the last 3 years and it's the perfect storm of hope, optimism and faith. Well fuck me Everton has done it to me, to us, again. I feel stupid, ashamed, embarrassed all of it but I also love this club so I'm not going anywhere... 

I don't personally feel stupid, ashamed or embarrassed but those aside well put.