IGNORED

Summer 21 Transfer Window

11 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Ask @RuffRob... 

ha. 

I wonder what percentage we asked for in a sell on fee? usually ranges 10-20%. 

Hopefully show a 'profit' from our operations this season and maybe get back to some sort of normality in transfer spending in the coming seasons. Maybe something in between the reckless spending we have witness in past half decade and penny pinching bargain basement spending of this summer.

What this year has shown is that there is always good deals about if you have keen eye and the willing to use this market. We need to get a good mix. The players we have brought in all seem to be keen and hungry. 

15 hours ago, Newty82 said:

I think we all knew what to expect. We need to lie low for a year for FFP. Maybe beyond. Maybe until the stadium is done and we can do some insider naming rights for mad money.

There were 2 key things to sort out for me from last season - wingers and some depth.

We've got natural wingers. Better than what we have had. Fuck all. But the depth is worse with an increased reliance on injury prone players.

I honestly don't believe that our starting 11 is out of depth picking at the top 6. It's just we don't have much beyond that first choice 11...

I agree with this. It is certainly in that mix given the style of football we are playing at the moment.

Get an injury here or there and it could all come crumbling down.

15 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Anyone know any voodoo doctors? I think we need to get one

It can only mean that Kenny is our back up.

Solid enough to fill in here or there but not to rely on for a period of time.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

Well, to try and put a positive spin on things, this is the most sensible window we've seen unsee Moshiri, which is something...

I agree. They are all sensible, if not exciting signings.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Except Delph. He is shit and can't fuck off. People complaining about James not being moved on and we still have Delph. That's Brands' biggest (continuing) failure for me. 

Who plays more minutes this season, Delph or James?

My money is on Delph.

16 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Work permits in England are an absolute joke when it comes to footballers, we're so far behind the times compared to the continent.

I'm saying this not just as an Everton fan, but as someone who wants free trade throughout football, the restrictions placed on clubs and players in the UK are unnecessary and just means that clubs in this country will need to spunk three or four times what they should have when a potential prospect "makes it".

21 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Sold kean and got the sell on fee from vlasic and we get Rondon with the rest of the money going in the same briefcase as the arteta money.  Remember when we all thought moshiri was gonna right the ship?

Yeah we could have pissed it all away on some last minute signing we didn’t really want. Patience mate, this window believe it or is a better direction than what we have shown the last 2/3 years. 

I believe we genuinely tried for Dumfries and had we got that one over the line I’d be so much more relieved but not to be. 

1 hour ago, Btay said:

Yeah we could have pissed it all away on some last minute signing we didn’t really want. Patience mate, this window believe it or is a better direction than what we have shown the last 2/3 years. 

I believe we genuinely tried for Dumfries and had we got that one over the line I’d be so much more relieved but not to be. 

We’ve needed a RB for five years now and just got 25-30m in transfers, we spent 1.5m.  It didn’t need to be last minute, could have been early in the window.  We got nothing.  Surely brands had more than 3 names on his list for RB?  When dumfries Aaron’s Ainsley went down he’s got others right?  I would fucking hope so. Same old Everton.  I remember when we’d make all these excuses with moyes and how “we wanted to and tried but money wasn’t there”, funny same lines still be toted around here.  

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We’ve needed a RB for five years now and just got 25-30m in transfers, we spent 1.5m.  It didn’t need to be last minute, could have been early in the window.  We got nothing.  Surely brands had more than 3 names on his list for RB?  When dumfries Aaron’s Ainsley went down he’s got others right?  I would fucking hope so. Same old Everton.  I remember when we’d make all these excuses with moyes and how “we wanted to and tried but money wasn’t there”, funny same lines still be toted around here.  

We haven’t received a transfer fee for Kean we won’t get that till the start of 23/24 season, we have essentially loaned him out for 2 seasons with a fee for 3 million year 1 and 4 million year 2, bizarre but none the less true is that a good deal I’m not convinced it is bar getting rid of player and his wages who doesn’t want to play for us, it doesn’t do much for us now money wise in the short term to help us improve the team, but maybe it was the best deal or just the best deal Brands could come up with, or have Juve played us like idiots in our desperation to move players on. 

12 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Personally I think it is a good deal , especially in the current climate when outside the so called elite clubs not many are spending big, and Brands has played this perfectly 

I think everyone saw this as a bit of a coup when we brought him in but he bombed spectacularly and by getting him out on loan quickly with no pre agreed option to buy his stock has risen again and we’ve managed to make a £5m profit on a flop

It looked like he was off to PSG but them unexpectedly getting Messi put an end to that so to find another buyer and still make a profit is to be applauded in my book

Yes we might not see the bulk of the money for a few seasons but we have still got his wages and the amortisation costs off the books

There is a lot of doom and gloom around at the moment because we didn’t get in any marquee signings or resolve the long standing RB issue out, but whilst it has been a disappointing window out of necessity I still think we have a stronger squad than we went into the window with

We have cleared the bulk of the deadwood out and got some decent, honest players in who look like they will graft for the shirt and we now actually have some pace in the side

I believe we now have a decent manager who is here for the long haul and when you Factor in that James ( who I’m still looking forward to finally seeing at Goodison ) Delph and Tosun are all now into the final 12 months of their contracts I think we will finally be in good shape to rebuild the squad with the players the manager actually wants next summer

I agree with you on the playing front, but the 5 million profit isn’t guaranteed he has to meet certain targets for us to achieve the maximum returns on the sale, what they are we don’t know and what we get or what happens if he doesn’t reach targets and what we would get we don’t know, he might even get returned after the 2 years, to be able to go on a free a year later, we’ve been told all the positives of the deal but none of the negatives, what a great way to keep fans quiet and if in 2 years it goes tits up there be hopefully not many will give a fuck. For me everything about this deal has been orchestrated by Juve to suit them with a chance we might make 5 million, but either way I’m still happy he’s gone there’s nothing worse than having players around the squad who don’t want to play for the club they can be a disruptive influence, but as a deal on its own merits it’s not a good deal for us. 

7 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m sure he does, but maybe Rafa sees Jon Jo as a better option on who was available and wanted to come here at this time, probably not forever though, throwing money in transfer fees and wages on players that aren’t  right have got us in the FFP mess because we can’t move then on when they turn out to be shit and a financial burden. Delph, Bolassie, Sandro, Klassen, Kean, Tosun immediately spring to mind .

We all make mistakes, the trick is to learn from them, maybe we are starting to do that. 

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

I’m sure he does, but maybe Rafa sees Jon Jo as a better option on who was available and wanted to come here at this time, probably not forever though, throwing money in transfer fees and wages on players that aren’t  right have got us in the FFP mess because we can’t move then on when they turn out to be shit and a financial burden. Delph, Bolassie, Sandro, Klassen, Kean, Tosun immediately spring to mind .

We all make mistakes, the trick is to learn from them, maybe we are starting to do that. 

That is a great point, Jon Jo is a good player, not great, but a good player who can do a job. Why spend money on players who are marginally better when it is tight. If we could have got AMN from Arsenal then that would have been great. But we didnt, maybe that will change in the new year.

We are paying the price for previous managers folly, suck it up, it is what it is and in Rafa and the squad we trust.

10 hours ago, Btay said:

No - we got that money in on deadline day.

Early in the window? When Carlo had just left us or when the major European tournament was on? Or both?

I agree it’s disappointing that we didn’t get the Rb but is coleman regarded better than the 4th or 5th option that was available? The money was there for Dumfries - he chose inter. Much of that is down to Carlo royally fucking us right before a European tournament. That threw a lot of plans out the window. I still think we might end up Aurier, not the best result but given what we have he could be a cost effective solution until we get someone we really want.

We’re in this position because we previously threw stupid money at bang average players like Gylfi…

We knew he was leaving all window.  Ever good club buys the replacement BEFORE they sell the player so they don’t get fleeced.  Only Everton hasn’t figured that out yet.  

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Personally I think it is a good deal , especially in the current climate when outside the so called elite clubs not many are spending big, and Brands has played this perfectly 

I think everyone saw this as a bit of a coup when we brought him in but he bombed spectacularly and by getting him out on loan quickly with no pre agreed option to buy his stock has risen again and we’ve managed to make a £5m profit on a flop

It looked like he was off to PSG but them unexpectedly getting Messi put an end to that so to find another buyer and still make a profit is to be applauded in my book

Yes we might not see the bulk of the money for a few seasons but we have still got his wages and the amortisation costs off the books

There is a lot of doom and gloom around at the moment because we didn’t get in any marquee signings or resolve the long standing RB issue out, but whilst it has been a disappointing window out of necessity I still think we have a stronger squad than we went into the window with

We have cleared the bulk of the deadwood out and got some decent, honest players in who look like they will graft for the shirt and we now actually have some pace in the side

I believe we now have a decent manager who is here for the long haul and when you Factor in that James ( who I’m still looking forward to finally seeing at Goodison ) Delph and Tosun are all now into the final 12 months of their contracts I think we will finally be in good shape to rebuild the squad with the players the manager actually wants next summer

I agree with what you have said here although with regards to the bit in bold, we were saying that ahead of this summer after getting rid of the wages of Walcott, Besic, Bolasie etc

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

We knew he was leaving all window.  Ever good club buys the replacement BEFORE they sell the player so they don’t get fleeced.  Only Everton hasn’t figured that out yet.  

Did we though? Say Juve went and bought a striker, then Messi moves to PSG. All of a sudden there's no team that's in the market for him.

Saying that it's a locked-in guarantee that a player is going to move is never going to be smart business. Harry Kane looked locked on like he was leaving this summer. Should Daniel Levy have gone and spent £150m before he was sold and then found himself in a royal shitstorm when City didn't end up buying him?

52 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Did we though? Say Juve went and bought a striker, then Messi moves to PSG. All of a sudden there's no team that's in the market for him.

Saying that it's a locked-in guarantee that a player is going to move is never going to be smart business. Harry Kane looked locked on like he was leaving this summer. Should Daniel Levy have gone and spent £150m before he was sold and then found himself in a royal shitstorm when City didn't end up buying him?

levy knew he wasn't selling, we knew moise wanted out and we wanted him out.  point is we are always reactionary in our transfer business, never proactive, and it pisses me off

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

levy knew he wasn't selling, we knew moise wanted out and we wanted him out.  point is we are always reactionary in our transfer business, never proactive, and it pisses me off

We all know Kean wanted out, and so did the club, but if no one is going to buy him there’s no funds to spend, as it stands he’s out on loan for 2 years with buy clause, very little money coming in from that, and it only happened on deadline day. We’ve been stung many times with deadline inbound deals, I’m glad we didn’t this time.

11 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Agree, although I do still think we’ll need a big sale next summer - probably Richarlison - before we can spend but it’ll certainly help with Gylfi’s, Delph’s, Tosun’s and James’ wages off the books too.

It seems clear that Rafa was certainly the right profile of manager as he’s basically come in and worked with what’s here. Hopefully he’ll make some of the players we may have written off at least attractive to other teams as we can’t afford many more £20m+ signings walking away for free at the end of their contracts.

On 02/09/2021 at 20:21, c1982 said:

Agree, although I do still think we’ll need a big sale next summer - probably Richarlison - before we can spend but it’ll certainly help with Gylfi’s, Delph’s, Tosun’s and James’ wages off the books too.

It seems clear that Rafa was certainly the right profile of manager as he’s basically come in and worked with what’s here. Hopefully he’ll make some of the players we may have written off at least attractive to other teams as we can’t afford many more £20m+ signings walking away for free at the end of their contracts.

Unfortunately I fully expect this to be Richarlisons last season with us anyway, but we have the opportunity to get rid of more deadwood / high earners with the below all out of contract next summer

• James Rodriguez *
• Asmir Begovic *
• Fabian Delph
• Gylfi Sigurdsson
• Jonjoe Kenny
• Cenk Tosun
• Andy Lonergan
• Lewis Gibson
• Ellis Simms

We have the option of extending the contracts of James & Begovic by 12 months

On 31/08/2021 at 16:12, RuffRob said:

been a quite transfer window all around. clubs just not willing to pay asking prices. 

Shame we couldn't get the Arsenal lad or Van De Beek in on loan. 

Think Man U missed a trick - Van De Beek could have help us nick points from their rivals. 

There was some truth to the Van De Beek rumours.

“Cristiano arrived on Friday which we knew was bad news for us. Pogba plays on the left, and with Cristiano’s arrival it means another extra player in midfield, with Pogba moving away from the left.

“We had conversations with Solskjaer and the board. We took the initiative to find a club and our search ended up at Everton. We opened talks with Marcel Brands and Farhad Moshiri.

“On Monday night [before deadline day] we received a call from Solskjaer and the club who told us that a transfer was out of question and that he had to report himself to training the next morning.”

Quotes via Goal.

Agent's always love a good stir!

Could have been a good signing though not convinced he's any finished article and may have also found himself on the bench with us looking at how the players we have have started the season.

Would have been a useful addition though at a good age and i'm sure if he doesn't get much game time come January and we offload James then i'm sure we'll be back in for him.

3 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Agent's always love a good stir!

Could have been a good signing though not convinced he's any finished article and may have also found himself on the bench with us looking at how the players we have have started the season.

Would have been a useful addition though at a good age and i'm sure if he doesn't get much game time come January and we offload James then i'm sure we'll be back in for him.

Klaasen mk2

• 2 weeks later...