IGNORED

Summer 21 Transfer Window

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Think this means Rafa gets a free pass this season, worst squad we’ve had in years so mid table and a cup run would be a good season IMO

We were top of the league with this squad last season ;)

20 minutes ago, Cisk said:

What a mess our squad is in - looking a real possibility (unless Rondon signs) that we will have 1 recognised ST, 1 recognised RB, 1 recognised LB and a CM of Allan, Doucoure, Davies, Gbamin and Delph. Christ Delph could be our backup LB option!!?!?!!

At this rate Delph is going to be back up left back, right back, centre mid and centre forward. 

It is a good job he can stay fit.... 

What have we got that is that different players who carried us through last season.

Keeper

OUT - Olsen, Virginia

IN  - Begavic, Lonergan - Similar level of cover

Defensive 

OUT - Niels (loan) ,

IN - Kenny and Branthwaite (back from loan), 

We are so week with cover at both RB & LB - Maitland Niles not coming not coming is a disappointment as he is able to cover both. 

Middle 

IN -  Gbamin (Fit - fingers crossed)

Forward

OUT -  King, Bernard and unfortunately Gylfi  

IN - Grey, Townsend,  Rondon?, Gordon and Simms (both back from loan)

Maybe marginally stronger than at the end of last year, if Gbamin stays fit and Rondon deal crosses the line. Gylfi being out is a blow to this squad. 

I think we all knew what to expect. We need to lie low for a year for FFP. Maybe beyond. Maybe until the stadium is done and we can do some insider naming rights for mad money.

There were 2 key things to sort out for me from last season - wingers and some depth.

We've got natural wingers. Better than what we have had. Fuck all. But the depth is worse with an increased reliance on injury prone players.

I honestly don't believe that our starting 11 is out of depth picking at the top 6. It's just we don't have much beyond that first choice 11...

10 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

What have we got that is that different players who carried us through last season.

Keeper

OUT - Olsen, Virginia

IN  - Begavic, Lonergan - Similar level of cover

Defensive 

OUT - Niels (loan) ,

IN - Kenny and Branthwaite (back from loan), 

We are so week with cover at both RB & LB - Maitland Niles not coming not coming is a disappointment as he is able to cover both. 

Middle 

IN -  Gbamin (Fit - fingers crossed)

Forward

OUT -  King, Bernard and unfortunately Gylfi  

IN - Grey, Townsend,  Rondon?, Gordon and Simms (both back from loan)

Maybe marginally stronger than at the end of last year, if Gbamin stays fit and Rondon deal crosses the line. Gylfi being out is a blow to this squad. 

Is GYlfi out out?  DId we cancel his contract or something?  Presumably he could still be cleared of this .......

7 minutes ago, Btay said:

I have a feeling serge aurier is coming here.

Also mental that barca activated their buy back for Emerson royal this month for €11 million and sold him 3 weeks later for €30 million 

Now that's good business.  Have a look Marcel. 

24 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well, to try and put a positive spin on things, this is the most sensible window we've seen unsee Moshiri, which is something...

I don’t know about positive and the sensibility has been forced on us through FFP, but I totally get where you are coming from, let’s clear the decks get rid of the chaff and focus on a long term process to get to the top, instead of just trying to buy it with a new manager’s and over priced players who have delivered empty promises and shattered our dreams. A season or two of small steps and steady improvement is what’s required and I truly believe Rafa is the right manager to help deliver. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

I don’t know about positive and the sensibility has been forced on us through FFP, but I totally get where you are coming from, let’s clear the decks get rid of the chaff and focus on a long term process to get to the top, instead of just trying to buy it with a new manager and over priced players who have delivered empty promises and shattered our dreams. A season or two of small steps and steady improvement is what’s required and I truly believe Rafa is the right manager to help deliver. 

Forced or not, there's always ways around that kinda thing (see City and Chelsea). I'm just glad we didn't add to the issue that started with Moshiri of throwing cash around. 

I also we believe we have a very good starting 11, with a less than ideal depth to it. The players need some direction, the talent is there for the most part. 

Except Delph. He is shit and can't fuck off. People complaining about James not being moved on and we still have Delph. That's Brands' biggest (continuing) failure for me. 

12 months ago if you told me next seasons signings would be Begovic, Rondon, Townsend and Grey I’d have laughed my head off. On paper very underwhelming. 

However the last few years have been big payments on relatively poor signings (aside from last season which was good IMO). So maybe going back to the bargain basement is what we needed. Lets see how this pans out! 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Forced or not, there's always ways around that kinda thing (see City and Chelsea). I'm just glad we didn't add to the issue that started with Moshiri of throwing cash around. 

I also we believe we have a very good starting 11, with a less than ideal depth to it. The players need some direction, the talent is there for the most part. 

Except Delph. He is shit and can't fuck off. People complaining about James not being moved on and we still have Delph. That's Brands' biggest (continuing) failure for me. 

Agreed we do have a good starting 11 yes maybe the squad is a bit thin in some area’s, I said a week ago if no one left I would rather not go for a last minute big buy and then as usual regret it, okay Kean has gone but we have covered that with Rondon and of coarse Niels went on loan which I hope we don’t regret. Both our FB positions give me the most concern, but as you said we have a half decent bunch of players and we will give anyone a decent game. 

It’s certainly been a window that we didn’t expect, but the additions seem to be what we needed, Demari and Andros bring much needed energy to the team, Azimir has PL experience and Solomon give good cover for Dom who we relied on too much last season and didn’t have a similar replacement, which I think we do now, he’s not going to set the world alight but I will feel more confident bring Solomon on rather than Moise.

I have liked what Rafa has said so far, and how he has set us up, I guess he sees how he can cover the full back issues with the squad.

i would be much happier if Delph had been moved on, it’s the one name I don’t want to see on match days.