IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

42 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Got as far as By Guillem Balague and didn't bother to read any further.

1 minute ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Opened the link and saw Guillem Balgue's face looking back at me - closed the article and didn't read any more. 

Excuse my ignorance but why the dislike/lack of interest? I don't really know anything about him.

1 hour ago, chicagoblue said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57673841

This reads like an insiders account. If so, it's 100% confirmation That Usmanov is a decision maker at the club.

two spending billions are better than none. 

A very general rule - but it seem American owners want to make money out of football clubs and Russian billionaire want to spend their money on football clubs and try and win as much as they can!! 

My thought is Moshiri is the current owners face (with Usmanov in the wings). Not being a current shareholder Usmanov can legitimately pump his money in to the club with 'arms length' 'sponsorships' - if Usmanov was named shareholder then would be limits on this. All quite crafty really in order to allow more funds to be legitimacy put in to the club. If this was 10-15years ago before FFP, I have little doubt now that Usmanov would have just bought the club and done a Chelsea/Man City. I think this is the ultimate end goal - just taking a lot longer and more fiddly due to FFP rules. 

Its easy to criticise Moshiri that 'success' is not yet happening, But I am sure with around £500million of his money spent and a new stadium actually being build over the next 3 year he is just as frustrated as we are, if not more so.

Given what he is doing for this club, I am inclined to give him a bit of leeway in being strong in his choice of manager this time around. A manager he was paying a kings ransom of £10M a year has just walked out on him.  We should actually count our blessing really to have such committed owners who genuinely want us at the very top table of English and European football. All I can personally do is to get behind him, and if that means giving Rafa as fair as go at the job, the same as I gave Ancelotti and those before him I will do. 

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I have heard he is a very nice chap who has done a lot of good work for the city of Liverpool

Seems to be, his kids went to the same infant school at the same time as my son, he was often seen at the school gates picking his kids in the afternoons and always had time to chat with the other parents.

Nice bloke or not, I want my club to succeed, most thought it was a nailed on certainty with the last guy, who it turns out talked a good story and delivered shit football. So I will welcome him to our club and judge him on what he does, if it’s shit, I’ll boo, if it’s good I’ll cheer.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Excuse my ignorance but why the dislike/lack of interest? I don't really know anything about him.

He comes across as a really nice guy (would happily have a pint with him) but he has a knack for reporting absolute twaddle. The kind of guy that would say that Nuno Santo is in the building at Finch Farm 15 minutes before we announce Benitez. 

Not something that I have a lot of trust in, so I don't give his reporting the time of day. 

Fabrizio Romano is the man to follow.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Knows nothing about football. Was just a random Spanish person in Liverpool university who then started supporting Liverpool as Benetiz was there. No idea how he ended up on sky.

3 hours ago, chicagoblue said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57673841

This reads like an insiders account. If so, it's 100% confirmation That Usmanov is a decision maker at the club.

I read that article earlier. When I read this I knew it was BS.

"And Benitez impressed Moshiri and Usmanov - the decision-makers at the club - in his first two video conference chats. They liked what he was bringing - including ideas about the academy, the design of the squad, how to improve their injury problems and his track record."

Brands runs the footballing side of the club. If they are brining in Benitez because of his "ideas about the academy" then Brands might as well quit.

The design of the squad is also a new one on me, at least to be impressed by it. What exactly could they possibly be? Not buy 4 number 10s in one transfer window? 

Benitez may have been around the block but he isn't a sports scientiest. We have a whole sports science department to manage player fitness and injuries. 

23 hours ago, Palfy said:

Hi Pritam sounds to me that Blue should be your colour, we are better class of supporter than the reds plus we have your favourite manager as well. It’s never to late mate to reverse the error of your ways, when you think about it you know it makes sense🙂

Sure, Never say never 😊. I do support Everton when Liverpool don't play. In acway I guess blue is my color. A big reason for my love of Everton is a scene from one of the derbies in the early 2000s. I saw two brothers sit together with a Red and a Blue jersey. They were sharing food. This just melted my heart. Never had I seen anything like this before. I have been in awe of Everton ever since.

In a way, Liverpool FC is incomplete without Everton FC.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I'm deliberately keeping quiet for now. I'm not comfortable with this at all. But as I've said before, it takes a properly strong character to walk into this storm that he's going to face, and we sorely need that. Every wasted point, the atmosphere will get more and more toxic so he better be a success because otherwise I don't see him being able to live where he wants. Sad but true. 

But, I will admit that his interview came across well. Not enough for me to relax or get excited or think "phew, it's not as bad as I thought", but enough to think he's clearly here to do something positive. I don't expect him to last the season, but if he does it will mean it's because he's done well, and so long as he does well he'll get my backing. 

I feel the same, of all the options listed I never kind of felt he was realistic or appropriate but now that he his here I’ll get behind him. To his credit, he is walking into a position in which he has so more to lose than gain and I respect that. He could have easily stayed in and around the leagues like China and collected a big wage packet but he has put his reputation on the line somewhat to come here. 

7 hours ago, Pritam said:

Sure, Never say never 😊. I do support Everton when Liverpool don't play. In acway I guess blue is my color. A big reason for my love of Everton is a scene from one of the derbies in the early 2000s. I saw two brothers sit together with a Red and a Blue jersey. They were sharing food. This just melted my heart. Never had I seen anything like this before. I have been in awe of Everton ever since.

In a way, Liverpool FC is incomplete without Everton FC.

I new I was right👍

11 hours ago, Hafnia said:

A really good watch. Balague knows his stuff. 

Yeah I thought that was good, shed some light on a couple of things we’ve been talking about in here such as his man management and whether or not he had other offers

Granted Balague is close to Rafa so he was always going to back his corner but I thought it was interesting none the less

Dont really get the hate for Balague either but each to their own and all that

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Yeah I thought that was good, shed some light on a couple of things we’ve been talking about in here such as his man management and whether or not he had other offers

Granted Balague is close to Rafa so he was always going to back his corner but I thought it was interesting none the less

Dont really get the hate for Balague either but each to their own and all that

Some fooking ridiculous shit going on now. Balague knows his stuff.  He's spot on about the discontent that will emerge from the players/staff when changes are being rung.

I get the feeling he's gonna shake shit up and I look forward to it.  Far too many comfortable people. 

13 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Let’s not forget he’s the waiters mate as well. Be like listening to one of Bisto Tits media mates wax lyrical about him. 

Difference being one made his name winning trophies and the other by avoiding relegation.

Called us a small club for doing a penknives to gunfight routine in the Derby..... Wasn't wrong was he? Not nice to hear but given the fact that the next 10+ years seen us face Liverpool like they were Barcelona and we were Accrington Stanley does actually make him correct in his sentiments.

Spat his dummy out big time cos he didnt win - I like that.  Maybe if our players were like that they wouldn't be stood round the circle at full time talking behind their hands to opponents having just been beaten. 

Im not starting a Rafa fan club but I'll certainly be fully behind him if kicks some arses into shape and our shitty culture gets replaced with a winners mentality. 

22 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Difference being one made his name winning trophies and the other by avoiding relegation.

Called us a small club for doing a penknives to gunfight routine in the Derby..... Wasn't wrong was he? Not nice to hear but given the fact that the next 10+ years seen us face Liverpool like they were Barcelona and we were Accrington Stanley does actually make him correct in his sentiments.

Spat his dummy out big time cos he didnt win - I like that.  Maybe if our players were like that they wouldn't be stood round the circle at full time talking behind their hands to opponents having just been beaten. 

Im not starting a Rafa fan club but I'll certainly be fully behind him if kicks some arses into shape and our shitty culture gets replaced with a winners mentality. 

To be fair to Sam Allardyce, the best side he has managed was the Bolton side he created. 

Benitez's early days were mixed.

Early coaching

The first attempts by Benítez at senior management away from the Real Madrid fold were less than successful. He was appointed manager of Real Valladolid for the 1995–96 season, but was dismissed after only two wins in 23 games with the club bottom of La Liga. During the 1996–97 season, Benítez took charge at Osasuna in the Segunda División, but after only nine games and one win, he was dismissed. He did, however, meet the fitness instructor Pako Ayestarán at the club, and went on to form a partnership with him at several clubs for the next decade. In 1997, he joined another Segunda División side, Extremadura, and this time led them to promotion, finishing second in the table behind Alavés after winning 23 out of 42 games. Extremadura only survived one season in La Liga, however, and were relegated in 1999 after finishing 17th and losing a play-off to Rayo Vallecano.[4]

Benítez subsequently quit Extremadura and took a year off from football to study in England and Italy. He also worked as a commentator/analyst for Eurosport, Marca, El Mundo and local Madrid TV. In 2000, he was appointed manager of Tenerife of the Segunda División and with a team that included Mista, Curro Torres and Luis García, he gained promotion to La Liga by finishing third in the league behind Sevilla and Real Betis.[4]

He then managed to get the Valencia gig, a team that got to the Champions League final the two years prior.

I am not saying that Allardyce would have won anything with a quality squad but he has never had the chance. Benitez got his and to his credit he took it with both hands.

17 minutes ago, Shukes said:

For me he isn’t red anymore…. He’s blue now!

Apparently he fell out with John Terry at Chelsea as he kept referring to Liverpool as "we"!

44 minutes ago, Bailey said:

To be fair to Sam Allardyce, the best side he has managed was the Bolton side he created. 

Benitez's early days were mixed.

Early coaching

The first attempts by Benítez at senior management away from the Real Madrid fold were less than successful. He was appointed manager of Real Valladolid for the 1995–96 season, but was dismissed after only two wins in 23 games with the club bottom of La Liga. During the 1996–97 season, Benítez took charge at Osasuna in the Segunda División, but after only nine games and one win, he was dismissed. He did, however, meet the fitness instructor Pako Ayestarán at the club, and went on to form a partnership with him at several clubs for the next decade. In 1997, he joined another Segunda División side, Extremadura, and this time led them to promotion, finishing second in the table behind Alavés after winning 23 out of 42 games. Extremadura only survived one season in La Liga, however, and were relegated in 1999 after finishing 17th and losing a play-off to Rayo Vallecano.[4]

Benítez subsequently quit Extremadura and took a year off from football to study in England and Italy. He also worked as a commentator/analyst for Eurosport, Marca, El Mundo and local Madrid TV. In 2000, he was appointed manager of Tenerife of the Segunda División and with a team that included Mista, Curro Torres and Luis García, he gained promotion to La Liga by finishing third in the league behind Sevilla and Real Betis.[4]

He then managed to get the Valencia gig, a team that got to the Champions League final the two years prior.

I am not saying that Allardyce would have won anything with a quality squad but he has never had the chance. Benitez got his and to his credit he took it with both hands.

Apparently he fell out with John Terry at Chelsea as he kept referring to Liverpool as "we"

You may want to fact check racist, team mates wife shagging.... John Terrys version.......

Never got his own way with Rafa, liked to run the dressing room and got a few managers sacked with lampard and Drogba.  Benitez dropped him to let him know who was boss ..... 

Gerrard has a great relationship with Rafa now - said that Rafa not pandering to him was brilliant psychology. 

John Terry was a huge issue at Chelsea - great player. Had a gambling problem that the club needed to manage, shagging team mates wives, racially abusing a player.  Rafa referred to things he did at Liverpool - he didn't say "we" in terms of being a Liverpool employee.

Didn't like Rafa for one reason and that was that he never gave Terry the power he craved. 

The more I'm thinking about it ..... The more I'm liking Rafa. 

12 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

You may want to fact check racist, team mates wife shagging.... John Terrys version.......

Never got his own way with Rafa, liked to run the dressing room and got a few managers sacked with lampard and Drogba.  Benitez dropped him to let him know who was boss ..... 

Gerrard has a great relationship with Rafa now - said that Rafa not pandering to him was brilliant psychology. 

John Terry was a huge issue at Chelsea - great player. Had a gambling problem that the club needed to manage, shagging team mates wives, racially abusing a player.  Rafa referred to things he did at Liverpool - he didn't say "we" in terms of being a Liverpool employee.

Didn't like Rafa for one reason and that was that he never gave Terry the power he craved. 

The more I'm thinking about it ..... The more I'm liking Rafa. 

Hilarious. Telling me to fact check and then you come out with a string of unsupported allegations. 

The quotes from Terry look pretty open and honest to me. He talks about his injury and form in them. It isnt like he is saying I was amazing but wasn't picked. It should also be pointed out that when Rafa left, Terry had a great season the following year under Mourinho. I doubt Mourinho let Terry get away with the things you are claiming! 

In any event, the point I made was tongue in cheek to Shukes. I wasnt expecting it to be taken so seriously!

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

This.

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Hilarious. Telling me to fact check and then you come out with a string of unsupported allegations. 

The quotes from Terry look pretty open and honest to me. He talks about his injury and form in them. It isnt like he is saying I was amazing but wasn't picked. It should also be pointed out that when Rafa left, Terry had a great season the following year under Mourinho. I doubt Mourinho let Terry get away with the things you are claiming! 

In any event, the point I made was tongue in cheek to Shukes. I wasnt expecting it to be taken so seriously!

Terry honest?  You mean to say that he didnt call Anton Ferdinand a black c&-£.

Lip readers established that those words did in fact get spoken - Terry was found guilty.  He then said he reached out to Ferdinand and Ferdinand said he never but would welcome him to do so.

Terry never shagged Wayne bridges wife either???  I suppose him parking his Bentley in s disabled bay didnt happen either.

But ..... Terry did ok when they got the manager in who he wanted Rafa sacked for?  Yeah that makes sense, the same manager who literally causes shit wherever he goes? Who sacked a physio after insulting her costing the club £5m

Bit of a nightmare there bailey.