IGNORED

Demarai Gray

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, plaidharper said:

As someone who is from the USA and watches CONCACAF, I just hope he does not get injured.  Lots of physical play and poor pitches in these matches.

That being said, Gray has been great this year so well deserved.

Oh christ. Glad for him, but you're spot on. The CONCACAF qualifiers are a joke.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

Given how well we played without him yesterday, should Gray walk straight back into the team once he returns from injury - for example, in place of Iwobi - or does he become an impact sub?

(Nice problem to have, by the way.)

Of course he shouldn't. Iwobi has earnt his spot and Gray will just have to wait for an opportunity to get it back.

44 minutes ago, MC11 said:

I think he comes back in straight away 

No, he shouldn't.   We will have Gordon .. DCL .. Richie as the front three, then Allan .. V de Beek .. And a choice of Doucoure and Dele for the middle three, and if Iwobi plays as well as he did yesterday I would stick him in before Gray. 

For Lampard, I think it would send a bad sign of he dropped Iwobi as soon as Gray was fit unless Gray was doing brilliantly in training. 

For us Everton fans that have seen Iwobi week in week out, I think it would be harsh to have watched Gray be one of our best players all season only to be dropped for a guy who has had one good game all season. 

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Given how well we played without him yesterday, should Gray walk straight back into the team once he returns from injury - for example, in place of Iwobi - or does he become an impact sub?

(Nice problem to have, by the way.)

Depends on what tactics/system Frank thinks we need to win the game when Gray’s next fit.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

No, he shouldn't.   We will have Gordon .. DCL .. Richie as the front three, then Allan .. V de Beek .. And a choice of Doucoure and Dele for the middle three, and if Iwobi plays as well as he did yesterday I would stick him in before Gray. 

Agreed. Plus with Gray's dynamism and the way he runs at defenders, would be a perfect option to come off the bench and run at tired legs with 20 minutes left

To be honest I don't think Gray will get in ahead of Gordon or Richie as our wide players so where would he play.?  Won't be ahead of Allan, de Beek, Doucoure, or Delli, so I don't think there's anything down for him.

Might get in if the manager rotates but I think he'll spend most of his time as a bench warmer.

This is a squad game, players have to earn and keep their places on merit. It would destroy players moral if Frank played favourites, many of the problems of our club are due to previous managers playing favourites. From what he said about slates being wiped clean I don't for one minute he will go down that route, and I am so happy.

39 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Gray is fast, direct, skillful and involved in goals so of course he will be involved again. Competition for places is so important, its what Frank needs to make our team work, as are quality options. 

And runs down too many blind alleys, hangs on to the ball too long and loses it. I wouldn't drop any of the team that played Leeds to put him in. I have said he will play if the manager rotates.

He shouldn’t just walk back into the team when fit. And it’s not like he’s being dropped if he doesn’t. Iwobi had the chance to make a claim for the position while Grey was injured, and should be rewarded by keeping the position for the next game. If he doesn’t perform in the next game then he should lose the position.

The same for any player in the squad. If you miss a game for whatever reason and someone comes in and fights to keep that place you should have to fight to get it back. I don’t want to see anyone guaranteed to play. 

1 hour ago, Bill said:

And runs down too many blind alleys, hangs on to the ball too long and loses it. I wouldn't drop any of the team that played Leeds to put him in. I have said he will play if the manager rotates.

5 Goals and 2 assists in 20 league games in a struggling side. He was involved in 25% of our goals, so he is just as much of an option as anyone else in the squad. Under Frank starts will be determined on performance in training and matches which is as it should be

Respect you Bill but that's my opinion and I don't think it's going to change based on the above.

Foden doesn't start every game. Sterling doesn't start every game. Mahrez doesn't start every game. Mount doesn't start every game. The top teams can rotate and rest players and choose based on the best tactics for each game. I can see Gray starting some and not others, and the same for Iwobi and Townsend and El Ghazi and the rest. We've seen this season what it's like when you rely on the same 11 starters for every game, and I don't want to go back to that.

8 hours ago, Matt said:

True but to drop a player after such am excellent performance also sends a bad message. Its a headache I'm glad I don't have. 

It is a headache. Because the flip side is a player that’s been performing and gets injured could be dropped for a player that turns up with one good performance. Not a great message to send out.

My view would be that Gray plays a wide role, while Iwobi had a free role. The team would be dependant on our opponents and tactics for the game.

In Frank we trust !

7 hours ago, StevO said:

He shouldn’t just walk back into the team when fit. And it’s not like he’s being dropped if he doesn’t. Iwobi had the chance to make a claim for the position while Grey was injured, and should be rewarded by keeping the position for the next game. If he doesn’t perform in the next game then he should lose the position.

The same for any player in the squad. If you miss a game for whatever reason and someone comes in and fights to keep that place you should have to fight to get it back. I don’t want to see anyone guaranteed to play. 

Completely agree, On a scale of 1-10 and 1 being the scruffiest and 10 being the smartest, how would you say you was dressed when writing that post. 

Not sure about this, Iwobi has had years of below average performances, on Saturday he did what is the minimum requirement for a footballer, he put in effort, work rate, and desire. I'm more inclined to ask where that has been all this time, his passing, and influence on the game were not great, but the effort was top draw.

My question is do you put in  a man who has arguably been our best player all season, or someone who decided to turn up to impress the new manager. 

13 hours ago, London Blue said:

5 Goals and 2 assists in 20 league games in a struggling side. He was involved in 25% of our goals, so he is just as much of an option as anyone else in the squad. Under Frank starts will be determined on performance in training and matches which is as it should be

Respect you Bill but that's my opinion and I don't think it's going to change based on the above.

I wouldn't dream of trying to change your opinion LB, we're all different in the way we think.

I'll say it again ... He will get games if the Manager rotates but it would be a crime if he left out Iwobi after he had the best game he's ever had in a blue shirt, now that would be soul destroying.