IGNORED

Neal Maupay

c1982

11 hours ago, SpartyBlue said:

Worth noting that when they say they have outgrown him they are almost surely talking about as a primary striker. He isn’t being brought to Everton for that so it’s not really a reflection of where either team is.

Love this level of absurdity as much as I find it comforting.  

11 hours ago, StevO said:

Love this level of absurdity as much as I find it comforting.  

What do you find absurd? Brighton don’t think he’s good enough to be getting 30+ games for them as their primary striker as he has for the last 3 seasons. Their manager has suggested as much. He won’t be getting that game time here either in normal circumstances. 

1 hour ago, SpartyBlue said:

What do you find absurd? Brighton don’t think he’s good enough to be getting 30+ games for them as their primary striker as he has for the last 3 seasons. Their manager has suggested as much. He won’t be getting that game time here either in normal circumstances. 

No, I find it absurd that some of their fans think they have outgrown him. 

8 minutes ago, StevO said:

No, I find it absurd that some of their fans think they have outgrown him. 

Ah. Gotcha. I mean he’s a particular type of striker. I can see not wanting him to be the main main but seems like a good option to have for most teams in the league. The Naismith comparison I’ve seen isn’t a bad one.

18 hours ago, c1982 said:

Don’t base reliable information on what you’ve read on a forum - just read some of the tripe spouted on here!!!

Maupay has missed 10 league games for Brighton in the 3 seasons he’s been there - he’s in the final year of a contract he clearly wasn’t going to sign for whatever reason. Maybe he wasn’t going to be first choice this season - who knows? But, on the basis that he’s been a mainstay for the past 3 seasons, I doubt he’s slipped that far down the pecking order.

I accept the point about listening to forums but Brighton signed a 2 or 3 forwards over the summer and they are quite fluid in how they do play. 

He was definitely down the pecking order. Whether it is as far as 4th I don't know but they look to have some exciting attacking options coming through and Maupay doesn't really fit the same profile.

Lets also face it, if Welbeck could stay fit he would have been less likely to start as many games as he did! 

4 hours ago, Shukes said:

Wasn’t he a starter?

Yes, mainstay since he’s been there but only had 12months on his contract which is why I expect they’ve let him go. As for other striking options - obviously Welbeck, then they’ve had Undav from their chairman’s other club in Germany and a very young South American lad - to be fair they’ve done well in this market. Andone is someone they’re trying to get rid of. I do wonder if Brighton will be in for another striker - they identified Nunez last summer for much less than what was paid this summer.

On 27/08/2022 at 18:54, c1982 said:

Don’t base reliable information on what you’ve read on a forum - just read some of the tripe spouted on here!!!

Maupay has missed 10 league games for Brighton in the 3 seasons he’s been there - he’s in the final year of a contract he clearly wasn’t going to sign for whatever reason. Maybe he wasn’t going to be first choice this season - who knows? But, on the basis that he’s been a mainstay for the past 3 seasons, I doubt he’s slipped that far down the pecking order.

The multi-million pound question, of course, is why not?

1 hour ago, StevO said:

More interesting to see him finish one of those today. 
I such a shame.

Having a striker on the pitch, even if he wasn’t fantastic but more mobile than Rondon, made a big difference. 
How many chances did we make today? Against a decent side. 

He’s a lot faster than I thought he was. Always going to be a hard game against the liverpool backline but I thought he did well apart from the finish.

Promising signs.

I was impressed with him, he’s not featured much for Brighton, so I was expecting him to run out of steam, yes he did slow but kept going for the full 90. He’s far more mobile than Rondon ( state the bleeding obvious) and therefore gives defenders more to think about, he’s going to give us more options up front which was desperately needed.

He performed really well got himself in position for a couple of golden chances but failed to put them away, he needs to be much more clinical and productive in front of goal, that lack of clinical finishing is after all what cost him his place at Brighton and not the hard work or being in the right place at the right time. So can’t fault his effort and approach but can fault him for poor finishing. 

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I can forgive the missed chances today. Not easy to make your debut at home in the Derby. It was a baptism of fire and i think he did well to be honest.

My point being that was part of his game he was guilty of at Brighton, I hope he doesn’t bring that side of his game here after all no one wants a striker who can’t take his chances on a regular basis, but as I said pleased with is general game play and effort but not his finishing. 

I was a bit disappointed by him. 

I didn't think he added a great deal to the performance and he scuffed his chances, including the one that Coady tucked away. 

I also thought he was slow. At one stage, he was sprinting and VVD jogged past him. 

I wasn't expecting to see that much from him yesterday though. Tough game and not one played to suit him so I think there will be a lot more to come. 

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I was a bit disappointed by him. 

I didn't think he added a great deal to the performance and he scuffed his chances, including the one that Coady tucked away. 

I also thought he was slow. At one stage, he was sprinting and VVD jogged past him. 

I wasn't expecting to see that much from him yesterday though. Tough game and not one played to suit him so I think there will be a lot more to come. 

Important to remember that his fitness may not be fully there (looked gassed at the end) and more important to remember he was at one place for quite a while. It will take time to learn his teammates and that will allow him to play faster. He’s a solid premier league striker that provides some things DCL doesn’t. I think he will prove to be better cover than what we’ve had in a long time. 

1 wonder if we'll see him in a 352/532 when DCL is back. He's not come here to sit on the bench and he offers a very different element up top, which I'm still sure will compliment DCL greatly. At the moment though, based on the last few performances, I'm not sure who I'd drop to accommodate both which is a very pleasant headache to have.