IGNORED

Vitaliy Mykolenko

I thought he started off poor and even in the second half made a few mistakes.

But I also think he relaxed in the second half and started to read the game better. His lack of pace allowed him to get back to the by line and make a couple of blocks, while he also managed to put a few crosses in.

One of which reached Gordon’s foot, which should have been a penalty.

Are we being overly critical because of the Digne situation maybe?

10 hours ago, StevO said:

I’m sure he won’t have spent the break sitting on the couch eating Pringles (just me?), he’ll have been training everyday one way or another. I’m sure the lads fit as a fiddle. 

I was doing sub 40 minutee 10k as a played, went gym 5 times a week. If I missed footy for 3 weeks I would be blowi big time, can’t replicate match demands when not playing 

31 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I was doing sub 40 minutee 10k as a played, went gym 5 times a week. If I missed footy for 3 weeks I would be blowi big time, can’t replicate match demands when not playing 

Exactly. They say match fitness, but match sharpness is more of a thing at this level. Miss a few weeks and see how your touch isn’t quite on it.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Exactly. They say match fitness, but match sharpness is more of a thing at this level. Miss a few weeks and see how your touch isn’t quite on it.

My mate was a boxer, fit as a fiddle and able to box 12 rounds, turned up for footy in great shape, was blowing big style.  It’s very difficult to replicate match demands.  

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Good job you didn’t play in the Premier League then. 

Exactly…..  imagine how much I would have been blowing if I was play in a match where physical fitness margins are so fine, that 12 days of lesser activity impacts physical output by up to 50%.

Not sure if you appreciate the whole match fitness thing.  The lad did 120 minutes too

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Exactly…..  imagine how much I would have been blowing if I was play in a match where physical fitness margins are so fine, that 12 days of lesser activity impacts physical output by up to 50%.

Not sure if you appreciate the whole match fitness thing.  The lad did 120 minutes too

I appreciate the match fitness thing, but I’m not sure I appreciate you comparing yourself to an elite level athlete in quite the same way. 😂

51 minutes ago, StevO said:

I appreciate the match fitness thing, but I’m not sure I appreciate you comparing yourself to an elite level athlete in quite the same way. 😂

Trust me I’m not an elite level athlete, however at my peak I was extremely fit.   You can take an overweight/heavy player who has match fitness like a Rooney, Shaw etc and they will be far more efficient on the pitch than someone who is athletic like a Kyle walker who has had 3 weeks out and done nothing but training. 

Take Rooney out for 3 weeks and you are talking a seriously unfit player.

premier league is not the place for unfit players. 

1 hour ago, StevO said:

This. 

Looking at his records he last played on the 12 December and the midweek before that. He therefore has been out for 4 weeks, but still training I assume. 

I know what match fitness looks like and I have no doubt that led to him struggling more at the end but I don't think it led to the other issues earlier in the game.

If he had been out for a year I would have more sympathy but its 4 weeks with training. 

I would put it down to him playing in a much more intense style of football than he is used to. It is something he will need to get used to. 

15 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Trust me I’m not an elite level athlete, however at my peak I was extremely fit.   You can take an overweight/heavy player who has match fitness like a Rooney, Shaw etc and they will be far more efficient on the pitch than someone who is athletic like a Kyle walker who has had 3 weeks out and done nothing but training. 

Take Rooney out for 3 weeks and you are talking a seriously unfit player.

premier league is not the place for unfit players. 

I try to tell my wife I’m like getting in bed with Omar Sherif, she says I’m deluded for even trying to compare. 
😂

It’s not how far and fast he can run, but his first touch and passing accuracy that isn’t up to sharpness that’s the real problem. 
You can kick a ball up against a wall for as many hours as you like…. But you won’t get your touch without playing.

Its not a new thing guys…. Jimmy Greaves used to talk about it and many before him.

Some things aren’t excuses, they are reasons.

11 hours ago, Shukes said:

It’s not how far and fast he can run, but his first touch and passing accuracy that isn’t up to sharpness that’s the real problem. 
You can kick a ball up against a wall for as many hours as you like…. But you won’t get your touch without playing.

Its not a new thing guys…. Jimmy Greaves used to talk about it and many before him.

Some things aren’t excuses, they are reasons.

I don’t think anyone is disputing that Shukes.