IGNORED

Next Manager

MC11

19 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think that is a great idea!

I agree with that, although I am leaning more towards Rooney than I thought I would. He has had a tough gig and is doing really well. If anything that is exactly what we need right now, someone to come in when the chips are close to getting as low as they can go and getting us over the line. Whether he will be a long-term solution, I do not know, but there is something to like about those credentials.

Martinez inherited a team that was very much set in its ways under Moyes and had been together for a long time. Martinez had to begin rebuilding that squad and he couldn't do it successfully. You only have to look at Arsenal and Man Utd to see what happens when a long-standing manager leaves and how that unsettles the club for a long time.

I think there are arguments to say that Martinez could come back into club management and do really well but I don't think it should be here for a lot of the other reasons you have stated.

Everyone seems to be forgetting that he almost achieved a Champions League spot in his first year, achieving considerably more with what you refer to as Moyes' team than Moyes himself did. In the end, we were in the Europa League for two successive seasons, beating some pretty good teams along the way.

Why did things go downhill? First off, he had no budget. Now you can argue that neither did Moyes, which is fair, but he was trying to build on two years in the Europa and took risks. Barry and McCarthy in midfield was genius, as was securing Lukaku when no-one expected it. Risking players from the Russian league was a disaster, though. And, as people point out, our defense leaked goals terribly. Belgium undoubtedly has an issue with this, too, so there must be a solution. Is that having Baines in charge of defence, for example?

I get the reluctance, but what Martinez achieved in that first year was immense. Personally, I'd say the decline in the second year was due to not having the depth of roster to meet the demands of both league and Europa (and domestic cup runs). To compensate in the final year, he took recruiting risks that failed. The one lingering issue has to be ability to defend.

4 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

If Martinez comes I think the odds of us going down increase.

The only positive about Martinez coming is that some people might still have the 'Martinez out' banner we saw the last time he lead the club out, so it would save making new ones in three or four months. 

I surpose he is the most environmentally friendy candidate. 

That is a bit harsh on Martinez IMO.

He is a very experienced manager who did a really good job with Wigan on an absolute shoestring. He had previously done well with Swansea and it certainly wasn't all bad with us (record points and cup semi-finals). It did end disastrously though.

9 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Well said.  What it must be like to be a well run club... sigh.

The list that wasn’t long just got even shorter, this could potentially turn out to be the worst time to sack a manager ever, but that’s the way with us since Moshiri took over. 

1 minute ago, Palfy said:

The list that wasn’t long just got even shorter, this could potentially turn out to be the worst time to sack a manager ever, but that’s the way with us since Moshiri took over. 

Between a rock and a hard place, because not sacking the manager would have been the worst choice of all.

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

. And, as people point out, our defense leaked goals terribly. Belgium undoubtedly has an issue with this, too, so there must be a solution. Is that having Baines in charge of defence, for example?

one potential solution is not having Martinez as a Manager!!

Our defence is in crisis, and two Premier league rookies to also integrate in to the team. 

If Martinez can not get a team with Coleman, Baines and Jags in their prime or the Belgium national team defending properly what chance has he got with our current roster!!!.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

Potters done nothing that would inspire me to want him here. If I had an easy comfortable job I would also stay in it, Brighton have been content to finish bottom half  of the Premier League each season so he's quite content staying there, this job would be too big for him.

1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

Between a rock and a hard place, because not sacking the manager would have been the worst choice of all.

You can never know that for fact that’s just your opinion, I’m saying it could potentially be the wrong decision because we don’t get the right man in, normally a club in this position would sack a manager and announce the next man to take over in 24hrs, we haven’t got a clue who we going to end up with and I would put a big wager on neither do they, I find that more worrying than Benitez having another 3-4 games. 

2 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

even if we go down under Martinez? which is not in the realms of fantasy.

It quite feasible that the cure could quite easily be worse than the disease. We are going to now find out in the goodness of time.

16 minutes ago, Bill said:

Potters done nothing that would inspire me to want him here. If I had an easy comfortable job I would also stay in it, Brighton have been content to finish bottom half  of the Premier League each season so he's quite content staying there, this job would be too big for him.

I totally agree Bill, but you have dickheads on here calling people red shite because they didn’t believe Benitez should have sacked this early, and there looking at Potter to take over the real red shite would be pissing themselves if we got him. 

We just never learn our lessons do we?

Those in charge went after a manager that the majority of fans didn't want last time so what do they do? They go and do it again by chasing Martinez. Not content with that sort of lunacy but that manager is also someone they had very little chance of actually getting. So they'll have managed to  further alienate and divide fans for absolutely fucking nothing!

We're like a house that's on fire and almost burnt to the ground and those charged with putting out the fire think the solution is to throw more petrol on the fire.

With it actually sounding very much like Martinez could actually be a real possibility, this is really concerning me. A bit of calm is needed.

Announce Ferguson for the Villa game as interim manager and just take if from there. He did well last time he was interim, so why not go again with him. A good set of 4-5games coming up for him to have a stab at and get some momentum and confidence. Game that should be won with a team that go out with some energy and passion.  I was up for Benitez having these winnable games to turn things around so why no give them to Big Dunc to show what he can bring to the table. If he does OK - let him take the team to the end of the season. 

Ryan Mason did OK at Spurs. 

48 minutes ago, BedfordBlue said:

The more I think about it the more I want Rooney and I would also let Ferguson go been here for all the failed managers supposed to be a motivator but clearly hasn't motivated this lot

I wonder the same.

Ferguson is pretty much the only first team front line member of staff that hasn't changed in all this time!  I get the thing of having a respected ex player around but is he actually providing a positive influence or not?  Is he providing much input on the training ground or just giving DCL a bit of heading advice and carrying the balls around?

We are unlikely to find out such a thing but the only people to have the answer really would be previous managers and the players.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

Martinez inherited a team that was very much set in its ways under Moyes and had been together for a long time. Martinez had to begin rebuilding that squad and he couldn't do it successfully. You only have to look at Arsenal and Man Utd to see what happens when a long-standing manager leaves and how that unsettles the club for a long time.

I think there are arguments to say that Martinez could come back into club management and do really well but I don't think it should be here for a lot of the other reasons you have stated.

People really do not give Moyes enough credit for Martinez first season. The season before Martinez come we played some great stuff and we were (as always under Moyes) well drilled at the back. 

No bunch of players will instantly forget how they used to set up and instantly take on the new managers methods. For that reason I don’t give Martinez complete credit for the first season. Yes he added to it but that by and large was still Moyes side.

I don’t want Martinez anywhere near the club 

Just now, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I have read we actually offered him a contract (so he turned Crystal Palace down) and then we revoked and gave job to Benitez once he had said yes.. Same article said we did something similar to Ralf Ragnick. 

Not that I want Nuno, but just another instance of Moshiri chopping and changing his mind. 

I am also worried - probably the reason I was keen on Rafa being given more time, not because I think he would do a wonderful job, just worried about what shit will happen next. A case of better the devil you know. 

The odds on Martinez are still shortening slowly, so with the refusal of Belgian FA of a combined role, I guess brown shoes must have expressed interest.

the only other big change is Gattuso who is 25-1 from 60-1 yesterday. Gattuso is a nutter and would be a disaster, but I’d love to have him here. It would be hilarious.

1 minute ago, badaids said:

The odds on Martinez are still shortening slowly, so with the refusal of Belgian FA of a combined role, I guess brown shoes must have expressed interest.

the only other big change is Gattuso who is 25-1 from 60-1 yesterday. Gattuso is a nutter and would be a disaster, but I’d love to have him here. It would be hilarious.

If he really wants it he'll walk from Belgium.

I really wanted Gattuso to take over at Spurs, so I could laugh at him being a fucking psycho from a distance.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

His last five seasons in English football have been 15th in the Championship with Swansea. Then Four seasons with Brighton 15th, 16 th, 17th, 15th.  I'm baffled as to why there are some people shouting for this fella.

He also has a squad full of his own players.

I do think they play good football, but does it get the results it should? Is that down to the quality of the players or just the type of football being played.

25 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

I'll lose my shit if we hire Nuno Santo, he's worse than Benitez. An absolutely abysmal manager who's made a career for himself by managing Porto (where success is 50/50 with Benfica) and Wolves where he had a substantial transfer budget and Jorge Mendes to lean on. 

And he only lasted 4 months at Spurs 🤣