IGNORED

Next Manager

MC11

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

He also has a squad full of his own players.

I do think they play good football, but does it get the results it should? Is that down to the quality of the players or just the type of football being played.

Brighton are quite happy just to stay in the league with no spend and no ambition, so Potter doesn't have a lot to do.  Its an easy job for him because they don't demand a lot from him, he is obviously very happy just picking up his wages so why would he want to leave and join the rat race when other clubs will demand a lot more from him. 

He has a cheek ruling himself out of this job because i would be amazed if he was even in the running, I'll say it again, this job would be too big for him.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

He has a cheek ruling himself out of this job because i would be amazed if he was even in the running...

He hasn't ruled himself out of it, he just gave the standard "I'm happy where I am, getting on with the job, can't control what the press write" speech. How many times have we heard that before someone jumps ship?

Wouldn't expect him to say anything else.

A thought....if we were to bring Rooney in, considering his character, his history and his knowledge and love of the club (and its history), would he be the kind of person we need to put right the wrongs that are apparently going on behind the scenes? Would he be the one to be able to put his foot down and begin to steer this ship in the right direction, or is still too early in his managerial career?

I do agree that what the club needs now is a uniting force, someone who's going to reunite the fanbase, and get us all pulling in the same direction again. More division and toxicity is the last thing we need. And he probably would be someone who could do that - even if it eventually goes tits up.

Having said that, there's a part of me that thinks he should stay at Derby. I do think he'll pull it off and keep them up. And what'll that do, not only for his legacy and his standing as a manager, but the experience of going through that quadmire they are in, and being successful, will only stand him in good stead for the future. That kind of experience is priceless. The Everton job will always be there for him, whenever there's a change of manager, his name's always gonna be in the mix, and he's still only a young manager. 

But then again, who knows if they'll pull through. And if him pulling it off just means we get to play them twice next year - well fuck that shit! 😂

32 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

A thought....if we were to bring Rooney in, considering his character, his history and his knowledge and love of the club (and its history), would he be the kind of person we need to put right the wrongs that are apparently going on behind the scenes? Would he be the one to be able to put his foot down and begin to steer this ship in the right direction, or is still too early in his managerial career?

I appreciate the sentiment, but no matter who comes in to be the next manager, we still have an absolute shitshow in the hierarchy.

Until Moshiri is gone, this club can't move forward.

I agree, it's a shitshow. But the fact is, Moshiri's going nowhere, so we might as well get a new stadium out of it.

What we need in the meantime is someone who's gonna put their foot down, or at least someone who can get in his ear and put him right. Ideally, he just signs the checks and puts the proper people in place to make the right decisions; ie. a DoF who has a long term plan and proper control. 

1 hour ago, Wall Writer said:

I think it would be a lot to place on the shoulders over such a young and inexperienced manager. 

If experienced managers such as Ancellotti and Benitez can't sort these type of issues, I dont think it can realistically be expected of someone like Rooney.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think it would be a lot to place on the shoulders over such a young and inexperienced manager. 

If experienced managers such as Ancellotti and Benitez can't sort these type of issues, I dont think it can realistically be expected of someone like Rooney.

Ancelotti, looking back, was basically lazy and couldn't be bothered. Benitez was always going to be incapable. What it needs is someone who truly believes in the club and is resolved, no matter what, to succeed.

4 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

I do agree that what the club needs now is a uniting force, someone who's going to reunite the fanbase, and get us all pulling in the same direction again. More division and toxicity is the last thing we need. And he probably would be someone who could do that - even if it eventually goes tits up.

Having said that, there's a part of me that thinks he should stay at Derby. I do think he'll pull it off and keep them up. And what'll that do, not only for his legacy and his standing as a manager, but the experience of going through that quadmire they are in, and being successful, will only stand him in good stead for the future. That kind of experience is priceless. The Everton job will always be there for him, whenever there's a change of manager, his name's always gonna be in the mix, and he's still only a young manager. 

But then again, who knows if they'll pull through. And if him pulling it off just means we get to play them twice next year - well fuck that shit! 😂

This is where I landed as well. My ideal world is Dunc til end of season and then Rooney. I'd love it if Dunc stayed on under Wayne but wouldnt expect him to. In addition to everything said about him I also think he adds the ability to recruit rising stars. He's the largest name in world football that is a Blue.

I think it's important Wayne's finishes what he started at Derby, whether he keeps them up or not it says a shit ton about his character and leadership.

Ultimately I have little faith in the club until the shit storm at the very top between owner and board is correct but since this is the manager thread I'll stick to that.

Roberto absolutely not - we just had a manager who divided the fan base from day 1, we don't need that again. And as others have said any good manager with half a brain who is currently employed would be a colossal moron to take this job so we're picking from the unemployment heap. From that lot if it can't be Dunc/Wayne I'll take Favre. I'll admit up until this morning I was on the Potter train but I've jumped off. Lampard, Nuno, Gattuso - hell no. One name that hasn't been mentioned but I'd be willing to take a flyer on is Roy Keane. A decade away as 'the man' just might make him a pretty decent manager. 

Rooney is a day, week, month away from another controversy for another stupid off field decision. 

He could lead a culture change at Everton, but I feel at some point he will fall off the wagon and the playing group culture and commitment levels could fracture with it.

On top of this, any manager should need to prove they can create a successful, trophy winning brand of football before they touch the Everton job. That doesn't need to be in a top 5 league, but success as a manager should be a pre-requisite. 

1 hour ago, DavisJD said:

Rooney is a day, week, month away from another controversy for another stupid off field decision. 

He could lead a culture change at Everton, but I feel at some point he will fall off the wagon and the playing group culture and commitment levels could fracture with it.

On top of this, any manager should need to prove they can create a successful, trophy winning brand of football before they touch the Everton job. That doesn't need to be in a top 5 league, but success as a manager should be a pre-requisite. 

You just summed up eloquently the manager who we just sacked, and not one of those managers on the list that has been composed as Everton’s next manager is a winner in managerial terms . People won’t acknowledge it or are to blind to see it but we have probably got rid of the best chance to see us through this far too early. Moshiri’s blue and white army👏👏👏

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

A huge reason why I’d prefer Rooney or even Ferguson for a longer period - they actually love and respect the club. We’ve had Allardyce, Koeman and Benitez who are that far up their own arses - we deserve much better. Okay Ancelotti dropped us at soon as Madrid came calling - can you blame him? - but at least he bought into this club and showed an understanding beyond his own self importance like the aforementioned three. Silva and Martinez ultimately failed but they showed more understanding of what we expect than the ‘local who knows the people of Merseyside’ Benitez.

We need an identity now - let’s be honest, we’re not suddenly going to be challenging the champions league places next season so let’s back say a Rooney and build a young exciting, bold and brave identity and be ready to challenge as we move into Bramley Moore - another Allardyce, Koeman or Benitez could be a very, very expensive and costly error.

3 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The Spaniard reportedly feels that Everton are a ‘dysfunctional’ club and their owner, Farhad Moshiri, ‘takes too much heed of agent talk, both in terms of recruitment and tactics, and there are too many moving parts amongst the hierarchy’.

The report further goes on to say that Benitez privately feels that some Everton stars don’t perform at Goodison Park because of the expectations of the home crowd, which causes them to buckle under the pressure.

I don't disagree with either of the things Benitez has raised there.  Moshiri seems too involved all round and needs to take heed of experts who can advise him within the club and not media/agents etc.  They could really do with an external expert to put some structure into the Everton management (I thought they already tried to do this to be honest!).

On the second point I do feel that our fans are often guilty of slating every player very easily and there is too much negativity around the ground at times.  The place can be like a library unless the fans have something to get angry about.  It feels great when the crowd get going because of a big tackle or unjust decision from the ref but when they are quietly muttering their discontent throughout a game or booing players as they come on to the pitch it's really not helpful.  I guess the same could be said around the rotating door on managers, the fans want success and expect that every new manager can "return us to where we should be".  I do sometimes feel were starting to sound like Newcastle where we feel like we deserve success through our own ego.  We may have a great history but that's all it is now and we need a prolonged period of getting things right in order to get thought of as a top club again.

In the simplest terms, a manager's job is to get the most out of the players he has. Basically there are 3 ways to do it:

1. Tactics
  2. Development
  3. Leadership/passion/culture

One of out three are you're a very valuable coach. Two out of three make you a good manager. All three and you're world class. Roberto has 1 and 3, Koeman has 2 and some 1, I suppose you can give Fat Sam credit for 1, Silva has some 1 and 2, Carlo has all 3 of course but Madrid came calling, and Rafa has 1 and some 2.  I'm under no illusion we can lure an established world-class manager so I don't give a flying f*** which two our manager is good at but by the looks of it it's time to give someone a chance who has 2 and 3. Maybe we don't know if Wayne has the tactical ability yet but he's already proven he's got 2 and 3. What he's doing at Derby with geriatrics and academy players is nothing short of miraculous. I've no reason to think he can't do the same here. 

12 hours ago, DavisJD said:

I think you are probably right about Rooney's controversies. On second thoughts, do we need that risk right now?