IGNORED

Next Manager

MC11

23 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

That does seem to tie in with what I was told before the Brighton game, the entire club is just one big circus at the moment

22 minutes ago, London Blue said:

When Martinez was manager we were shopping in bargain basement shops, its a little different now. Plus he has experience working with world class players. 

He has always been a great man manager, and we played the best football I have seen us play under him. I believe he has grown as a manager and would be a very good appointment as manager.

Sorry, Martinez inherited a very decent team. His first season proper was very much a Moyes-Martinez hybrid (more Moyes than Martinez) and the team/squad began to go downhill as Martinez influence and players began to dominate. He ended up dismantled something decent rather than building anything great. 

He has also been out of club management since we sacked him. There is no evidence at all he can now somehow build a team. International football is so different to club football. 

Whether he is a suitable candidate or not, a massive proportion of fans justifiably have a very good argument why Martinez should not be appointed from the off. Much like Benitez, a bad run of results and this significant proportion of fans will pounce straight away. Do we really want to put ourselves in this kind of position like this again. This alone is enough to make Martinez a no no. 

Has to be a manager that the majority of fans can actually get behind.

Does Ferguson really want to be permanent manager?

I can't help but think if he really wanted a  job as a full time manager he'd have left and tried his hand at a lower league club by now to try to earn his way into a job.  He's worked under a lot of managers now so I'm sure has learnt plenty both good and bad from an array of different managers but we really don't know how much he's taken on board and how good a job he does day to day.  He does seem quite content to sit and watch the man next to him struggle along from season to season.

The only thing we know really is that given a few games a couple of times he's done a good job.  Not to put his work down but going from the toxic atmosphere that we tend to have prior to the departure of a manager and the fervent support the crowd gives following the departure to Dunc (or Unsworth on his brief outing) it's very easy to earn yourself a few good results as players bounce off the better atmosphere and a manager telling them to go out and give the fans something to cheer about.

Martinez

Has he improved as a manger since he left us?  Or did he just get a gig with a hugely talented bunch of players (who he hasn't made a final with let alone win).

He certainly gave us something to get excited about in his first season but the second season brought on possession possession and endless sideways passes.  Perhaps are players weren't up to performing how he wanted them to but he never had a plan B and towards the end of his time we were seeing players hoof it forward under pressure from the crowd to get it forward.

Even if you do like him for the job, is he a risky appointment in our current position given that he would likely want that tactical change which may take some time to take fruition and would likely as it did previously lead to more mistakes as players used to Rafa's more direct play start passing it around at the back.  A manager with his defensive frailties also seems a risk given that Rafa and generally defensively sound manager had us looking poor at the back.

Potter

Would be my pick if he wanted it.

Whether he wants it depends really on whether he wants to take on our terrible position, a club that chop managers every year, don't have huge funds but our a bigger club than he's currently at and have ambition (or delusions maybe!) of getting to the top.

If he feels that he's gone as far as he can with Brighton and the wage increase and potential achievement is worth the trip up North then he could come.

I liked this read on Potter's values - https://thebootroom.thefa.com/resources/interviews/graham-potter/my-five-leadership-values

I think he comes across very well, I like that he is flexible with his formations and tactics and doesn't seem to be stubborn like a lot of managers and while he'd like to get them working from the back and playing possession football it wouldn't be something forced on the team like I'd expect Martinez to do.

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

I fully agree - I want Rooney 100%

I’d just wonder whether Dunc would work under him as he may feel he’s ‘as worthy’ to take the job.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

I was thinking the same thing - Appointing Rooney ahead of Ferguson would be a massive slap in the face, so not sure how Ferguson Rooney combo would work. 

I much as I love big Dunc, it concerns me that he has been the head coach of these players for so long and they are just not doing it on the pitch - as a constant is he part of the problem. 

If Ferguson would spit the dummy at being overlooked for someone that's been brave enough to actually be a manager, and in a very difficult job, then I think that shows a lot about his character and he'd come across as a bit of a knob head and like he just wants to be handed a job.

Some would say Rooney was handed the Derby job but he really did not have to take that job on, it could have destroyed his prospects before they'd even got properly going, but he showed big bollocks to take it on and he's thriving. 

I'm not even saying I want Rooney but he will have done more to earn the job than Ferguson and would make far more sense than giving it to Ferguson.

Said it before, but Everton do best (win things) when managed by former players - Catterick, Kendall, Harvey, Royle.

Has to be Ferguson or Rooney for me - or combination of.

Lampard I would consider if they don't want it.

Would be very disappointed if Moshiri went for Martinez. Martinez is a lovely guy but you don't go back.

Potter - another nice man, but a pass from me. Too big a job for him.

"Potter - another nice man, but a pass from me. Too big a job for him."

Quite patronising for a well respected manager who has done great things in his previous jobs.

What does Lampard have that Potter doesn't?

He's shown a lot more knowledge and ability as a manager than Lampard.

I'll leave Ferguson and Rooney out as they are the former players you want.

I don't dispute former players being an attractive option but equally I wouldn't pick them just because they're former players.  I wouldn't be against either or both of those 2

1 minute ago, Bill said:

Just read up on Potters managerial record. Finished bottom half in the championship with Swansea and bottom half twice with Brighton in the premier league. !!  What is it about Potter that people want him here. ??

Not sure!

1 hour ago, StevO said:

Terrible opening from King. Rafa isn’t being blamed for all of the problems at the club. Just the ones of his own making. We all know there are plenty of other issues. 

yeah I think the criticism to rafa is a given.... I think its the other insights that are key as those issues will remain.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

If Ferguson would spit the dummy at being overlooked for someone that's been brave enough to actually be a manager, and in a very difficult job, then I think that shows a lot about his character and he'd come across as a bit of a knob head and like he just wants to be handed a job.

Some would say Rooney was handed the Derby job but he really did not have to take that job on, it could have destroyed his prospects before they'd even got properly going, but he showed big bollocks to take it on and he's thriving. 

I'm not even saying I want Rooney but he will have done more to earn the job than Ferguson and would make far more sense than giving it to Ferguson.

Rooney could easily live like a king and be a pundit...... but he had donned a big puffa jacket, a beard and looks like a scouse 36 year old manager on the touchline in the zingari league.  I like that - he has a sense of real footballing roots about him.

It is likely that the derby team are seriously in awe of him and as a manager that does help.

53 minutes ago, FairWooney said:

"Potter - another nice man, but a pass from me. Too big a job for him."

Quite patronising for a well respected manager who has done great things in his previous jobs.

What does Lampard have that Potter doesn't?

He's shown a lot more knowledge and ability as a manager than Lampard.

I'm not sure what your definiton of 'great things' is but I wasn't overly impressed with Potter's resume.

In terms of getting immediate results from our players, which is what we need, Lampard would be a better fit, I think. That's not a knock on Potter. It's on the players.

As I say, Lampard would not be my first choice - just a consideration. I think Potter has gone on record about how impressed he was with him.

34 minutes ago, Chach said:

Must be about time to add the poll.

Rooney wasn't even named as a potential candidate on the last managers poll we took just over 6 months ago - now he seems to be favourite to be our saviour when we are in dire need. How his stock has risen!! 

2 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Rooney could easily live like a king and be a pundit...... but he had donned a big puffa jacket, a beard and looks like a scouse 36 year old manager on the touchline in the zingari league.  I like that - he has a sense of real footballing roots about him.

It is likely that the derby team are seriously in awe of him and as a manager that does help.

A great criterion to add to "he has a home in the area": looks like a scouse. Don't let the media know, or they'll have another excuse for recommending managers regardless of their ability.

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I would actually look at Martinez as a director of football - his documentary showed him as a fella who seriously follows data and scouting.  I would like Rooney as coach. 

I think that is a great idea!

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I would prefer Rooney than Martinez - I really really don't want to go back to a man that only a few years ago we paid +£10M compensation too. Bit like Benitez he would have a monkey on his back from day 1. The shear embarrassment of paying off a manager a second time would make me feel even lower that I do now.

I still think the Everton job would be to much too soon for him, he will have not yet built up that network of people and staff around him.  He would be a manager who would benefit from a Director of Football by his side. Shame we sacked ours just over a month ago!!. 

I agree with that, although I am leaning more towards Rooney than I thought I would. He has had a tough gig and is doing really well. If anything that is exactly what we need right now, someone to come in when the chips are close to getting as low as they can go and getting us over the line. Whether he will be a long-term solution, I do not know, but there is something to like about those credentials.

2 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Sorry, Martinez inherited a very decent team. His first season proper was very much a Moyes-Martinez hybrid (more Moyes than Martinez) and the team/squad began to go downhill as Martinez influence and players began to dominate. He ended up dismantled something decent rather than building anything great. 

He has also been out of club management since we sacked him. There is no evidence at all he can now somehow build a team. International football is so different to club football. 

Whether he is a suitable candidate or not, a massive proportion of fans justifiably have a very good argument why Martinez should not be appointed from the off. Much like Benitez, a bad run of results and this significant proportion of fans will pounce straight away. Do we really want to put ourselves in this kind of position like this again. This alone is enough to make Martinez a no no. 

Has to be a manager that the majority of fans can actually get behind.

Martinez inherited a team that was very much set in its ways under Moyes and had been together for a long time. Martinez had to begin rebuilding that squad and he couldn't do it successfully. You only have to look at Arsenal and Man Utd to see what happens when a long-standing manager leaves and how that unsettles the club for a long time.

I think there are arguments to say that Martinez could come back into club management and do really well but I don't think it should be here for a lot of the other reasons you have stated.