IGNORED

Next Manager

MC11

11 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

I am really at a loss to what you where expecting this club to do once they caved in and sacked Benitez after essentially putting their eggs in one basket and backing him. 

You know you are talking about a bunch of baffoon from your earlier post. 

I agree, now there is a real risk of us going down with the currently situation we are in. 

But this current situation is what many had wanted.

Sacking him was absolutely the right thing to do, we were only heading one way with him in charge. It would have really helped if they hadn't backed him to the extent they did in the first place - sacking the DoF etc - because he was never in a million years lasting here long-term, even if it hadn't gone as spectacularly wrong as it did. It's not hindsight that tells me that, I was talking about it when he was only linked with the job.

The real risk of relegation was there with him in charge, it hasn't just appeared now he's been sacked, so what are you agreeing with? Because I didn't say it's now a real risk.

He had to go if we wanted to save ourselves but if we go down the idiotic route of giving it to Ferguson until the end of the season then you may as well not have changed anything in regards to the management situation. For a start, he's not equipped and secondly he's part of the bastard problem! It'll be rewarding him for being a failure.

On 17/01/2022 at 19:53, Bill said:

Brighton are quite happy just to stay in the league with no spend and no ambition, so Potter doesn't have a lot to do.  Its an easy job for him because they don't demand a lot from him, he is obviously very happy just picking up his wages so why would he want to leave and join the rat race when other clubs will demand a lot more from him. 

He has a cheek ruling himself out of this job because i would be amazed if he was even in the running, I'll say it again, this job would be too big for him.

I hate to say it but as things stand. It would be a sideways step at best  for Mr Potter.

6 hours ago, RuffRob said:

Slight exaggeration. nothing was 'assured' with 19 games to go and not actually even being in the relegation zone.

With the football we were playing and Rafa’s stubbornness in playing a useless blob up top every match, I don’t think I was exaggerating. The only reason we’re above the relegation zone is the first five matches of the season. We also downgraded significantly at left back (at least temporarily) thanks to a clash of egos, one of which was Rafa’s.

We just lost three of our last four matches to Palace, Brighton, and Norwich, and we’ve lost to all 3 newly promoted teams. Five of our last eight matches are against clubs in the top seven, and a sixth is against a solid Leicester squad that realistically could finish in the top 7 still. We didn’t have a chance.

45 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Sacking him was absolutely the right thing to do, we were only heading one way with him in charge. It would have really helped if they hadn't backed him to the extent they did in the first place - sacking the DoF etc - because he was never in a million years lasting here long-term, even if it hadn't gone as spectacularly wrong as it did. It's not hindsight that tells me that, I was talking about it when he was only linked with the job.

The real risk of relegation was there with him in charge, it hasn't just appeared now he's been sacked, so what are you agreeing with? Because I didn't say it's now a real risk.

He had to go if we wanted to save ourselves but if we go down the idiotic route of giving it to Ferguson until the end of the season then you may as well not have changed anything in regards to the management situation. For a start, he's not equipped and secondly he's part of the bastard problem! It'll be rewarding him for being a failure.

I actually wonder how much input brands had. He didn’t want benetiz at all and he has probably had little say or really had to fight to get “his” recommendations.

A good manager should be able to take a team that’s 15th in terms of ability to around….. 15th place.

Potter for example… should be able to do pretty much what he is doing with Brighton… unless people look at that squad and feel they should be top 8?

Anyone coming into our team, should be able to get us to finish mid table… as we are a team full of mid table players.

I believe I could come on and get enough results to save us from relegation. And it would be the easiest job I have had ever. This position has just became the easiest job in the premier league no doubt.

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

A good manager should be able to take a team that’s 15th in terms of ability to around….. 15th place.

Potter for example… should be able to do pretty much what he is doing with Brighton… unless people look at that squad and feel they should be top 8?

Anyone coming into our team, should be able to get us to finish mid table… as we are a team full of mid table players.

I believe I could come on and get enough results to save us from relegation. And it would be the easiest job I have had ever. This position has just became the easiest job in the premier league no doubt.

Potter has Brighton 9th and playing some very good football, he deserves a lot of credit for that.

Our overall squad is mid table - 10-14th but our first 11 can definitely challenge for top 8 with the right manager and approach.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And what is the answer? Who is realistically going to come in to this shit storm and turn this team and season around? 

Cos I am at a lose with it all. 

11 hours ago, Harv said:

Lampard, what's he done.

Dunc till the end of the season, worth a try ?

I like how Lampard can be ruled out as “what’s he done”, yet he’s done considerably more than Dunc. He’s actually been a manager of two football clubs, both on a permanent basis. 

Dunc, what’s he done? 

11 hours ago, Btay said:

I think the anti Benetiz fans foresaw this situation - doesn’t mean they wanted it.

I was willing to give him a chance, I don’t want him gone for his liverpool connections but for his absolute shit, dire tactics.

Absolutely this! Didn’t want him in the first place but was willing to give him a try, and then he served up the inevitable mess it was always going to be. We didn’t want this situation, it was given to us. 

I am completely dismayed at what is going on at boardroom level, all this in fighting, people wanting different managers, and not for the benefit of the club, just to get their own way, im sick of being the laughing stock of football.

Same mistakes over and over again, No 1 choice RM for fucks sake, do we get the 10 mil back off him, and do we want to watch all that tippy tappy slow shit again, he has had the best international team in the world for 5 years, and won FA.

JM now mentioned, chased out of his last 2 jobs in the premier, what are they thinking.

We sell Dinge, sack the medical staff, sack the DOF, then sack the manager who wanted all that.

This board room has to go, we can not sack FM he owns it, but everyone else should go, and be replaced, with football, commercial minded people to get us back on track.

Next they will be bringing fat Sam 😔 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

There seem to be a few that are interested, and thank god it sounds like Mourinho isn't because out of the options that we reportedly have he is the only one I like less than giving it to Ferguson until the end of the season.

Our biggest problem, by far, is having all the meddling at board room level and the mixed views that stem from that. If we'd done things properly from the start, or even just learnt after fucking up once or twice, we would not find ourselves in this situation. We'd have had a DoF that could do their job (whether that was Brands or another), we wouldn't have had so many different types of managers, we wouldn't have such a mish mash of a squad... the list could go on for fucking ever tbh.

I am worried about who these idiots will appoint next, like you, but that does not change my view that the manager had to go if we were to have a chance of saving ourselves this season. Getting rid of him, even though they never should have hired him in the first place, is something they did get right.

I whole heartedly agree Benitez should never have been appointed in the first place. I think most gave it 6-12months if results didn't go the right way. However, the way its all panned out in the end is even worst than I ever imagined with string of casualties along the way.

Brands may have turned out a decent DoF if as you said he was allowed to do his job - chose the managers (I don't he think wanted Silva, Ancelotti or Benitez) and work with him to choose the player. Unfortunately, Brands was just to 'weak' to vigorously stick up for his beliefs. If he was being hamstrung doing his job, he should never have signed a new contract - or at the very least that should have been his opportunity to put his foot down with Moshiri and Kenwright  and said enough is enough with this interfering - I get control or I am moving on.

Moshiri seemed to listen to Benitez (for a time) when he put his foot down, so he isn't totally immune from listening if people are firm enough with him . We definitely need to employ people who are balls enough to stand up to the owners. Its a shame Brands didn't have this sort of stubbornness or self confidence about him. He just ran with it all. 

56 minutes ago, StevO said:

I like how Lampard can be ruled out as “what’s he done”, yet he’s done considerably more than Dunc. He’s actually been a manager of two football clubs, both on a permanent basis. 

Dunc, what’s he done? 

But Lampard is not much more than a manager who currently hasn't got a job. His biggest selling points being he is available and is a famous name. Nothing really screams we need to get Lampard. 

3 hours ago, RuffRob said:

But Lampard is not much more than a manager who currently hasn't got a job. His biggest selling points being he is available and is a famous name. Nothing really screams we need to get Lampard. 

I don’t disagree with that, but he has managed for a few season. He did well at Derby and his first season at Chelsea with a transfer ban was alright too, then a bit of a mess after the ban was lifted. 

But what has Duncan got that’s above what Lampard has got? This is my point. 

Any thoughts about Mourinho? I understand it might be unpopular opinion, but I think he's a manager who would thrive at a club like ours. If he's allowed to build a team from scratch, meaning he could sell whoever he likes and sign players of his own choice, he will be back to his glorious past. You see, he's not a bad tactician, has an eye for good players and his only downside is man management. Actually it's not quite a downside that, because he has a problem dealing with Prima Donnas and influential players within the squad who do not fit his system. Players who he brings in always perform and rarely let him down. Probably that's the reason for his downfall, because he's only managing top sides that do not allow him to make complete overhaul of the first team squad. If Newcastle manage somehow to beat the drop, I can see them being all over him in the summer.

4 hours ago, RuffRob said:

And pissed off from Derby when Chelsea came calling.

37 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I was giving a like to what was written in the article, not to Lampard coming here.

"Everton always go for the obvious name and always go for someone who’s predictable and been around the block too many times before.

Let’s go on a different route with this hire because what’s happened in the last few years simply hasn’t worked."

13 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I was giving a like to what was written in the article, not to Lampard coming here.

"Everton always go for the obvious name and always go for someone who’s predictable and been around the block too many times before.

Let’s go on a different route with this hire because what’s happened in the last few years simply hasn’t worked."

We do seem incapable of looking further than the end of our own nose, and that doesn't just apply to managerial appointments.

One name I'd be interested in a few years down the road is Jesse Marsch. Won the double in back to back seasons at Salzburg but had a horrid time at Leipzig. 

If he could gain some more experience in a top 5 league and gain some more tactical knowledge when it comes to defending, I'd be up for seeing him here. Plays exciting, attacking football

18 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

One name I'd be interested in a few years down the road is Jesse Marsch. Won the double in back to back seasons at Salzburg but had a horrid time at Leipzig. 

If he could gain some more experience in a top 5 league and gain some more tactical knowledge when it comes to defending, I'd be up for seeing him here. Plays exciting, attacking football

...and we could sing, "We're on the Marsch with Jesse's army..."

Has legs that one.

23 minutes ago, StevO said:

Wouldn’t any manager in their right mind? He went with the blessing of Mel Morris (what a muppet he turned out to be). 

I'm of a generation that respected loyalty. OK, things are very different now. Privileged to meet Alan Ball and believe him when he said leaving us was the biggest wrench to him personally.