IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

3 minutes ago, StevO said:

It’s an easy and lazy assumption that’s made about him all of the time. It’ll take about ten minutes on YouTube to see that’s not how he plays football, but journalists like the easy and lazy approach. 

Anyone who seen Burnley over his last few years will have seen he wasn’t just a 442 long ball merchant, they ripped through our team on enough occasions by playing a bit of football. 

He works with the tools he’s got and plays to his players strengths. It’s a hell of an effective way of doing things. I don’t know why more managers don’t try it. 

Yeah I was 100% guilty of it as I hadn’t really payed much attention to him to be honest.

I’m enjoying him as our manager, he’s extremely down to earth & I find him to be quite likeable. Tactically though he’s gotten things spot on so far (liverpool excused) and long may it continue.

Hopefully we stay up obviously and continue to climb away from trouble.

my thoughts will then be on “what’s next - how do we do surgery on this team and get our minimum quality levels to be higher than relegation candidates”

for me we are reliant on a seriously strong transfer window. We need goals, a target man, pace. It’s going to require some strong analytics and bravery to pull players from markets that aren’t the premier league. 

hopefully then we can see what dyche can do with a strong side. 

20 hours ago, Shukes said:

Yes we can’t keep expecting managers to come in and make poor to average players turn into worldies.

We need to work with a manager and his project, give them support and build a team.

It is just important that we give the right manager time. It became pretty clear, pretty quickly that Lampard was never going to be that man.

Dyche has started really well and we look so much more organised and if that continues, that is something the club need to support and let him build upon until he can't take us any further.

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

It is just important that we give the right manager time. It became pretty clear, pretty quickly that Lampard was never going to be that man.

Dyche has started really well and we look so much more organised and if that continues, that is something the club need to support and let him build upon until he can't take us any further.

How do you define "Pretty Quickly"?

I seem to recall just as many positive vibes about FL at this stage as there are about Dyche (3 games in). I remember even when we were losing under FL we were fairly positive given how he really gets the club, he has the passion and charisma to unite the fans/board/players...then again, in the summer there was a lot of optimism despite knowing that he was in charge. 

I won't disagree that FL was ultimately not the man for the job but I can't say the majority on here were up in arms at him "pretty quickly" as being the wrong person. 

I am still on the fence with Dyche for that very reason. Nothing to do with him as a manager (I am 100% behind him). It is more that we have seen so many false dawns recently (given the amount of new managers we have had)

As fans, we have been at such a low ebb with how previous regime(s) ended that we are all too eager to anoint the new manager as the savior (the same happened with FL)

21 hours ago, Goodison Glory said:

How do you define "Pretty Quickly"?

I seem to recall just as many positive vibes about FL at this stage as there are about Dyche (3 games in). I remember even when we were losing under FL we were fairly positive given how he really gets the club, he has the passion and charisma to unite the fans/board/players...then again, in the summer there was a lot of optimism despite knowing that he was in charge. 

I won't disagree that FL was ultimately not the man for the job but I can't say the majority on here were up in arms at him "pretty quickly" as being the wrong person. 

I am still on the fence with Dyche for that very reason. Nothing to do with him as a manager (I am 100% behind him). It is more that we have seen so many false dawns recently (given the amount of new managers we have had)

As fans, we have been at such a low ebb with how previous regime(s) ended that we are all too eager to anoint the new manager as the savior (the same happened with FL)

I had my concerns last season because the football was atrocious and then it didn't improve this season after his signings.

19 hours ago, Bailey said:

I had my concerns last season because the football was atrocious and then it didn't improve this season after his signings.

I was very difficult to access him last season given the whole situation and being in the fight of our lives. A few things I liked about Lampard last season was he did try his preferred style to to play and when it didn't work he adapted and went more solid and defensive. 

I like the talk and action of bringing in more robust players in to the squad who didn't eat up our wage bill on the treatment table.  I did like the spirit he help manufacture and he definitely brought the playing side and fans together. I think there was a lot of good think done with Lampard in place. 

This season started promising, but like you said it didn't really developed and the not so great football (or results) we had at the backend of last season in a relegation battle was becoming the norm. Lampard's inexperience and perhaps limited ability in the 90min of a game was getting more and more exposed in each games. 

I think the hope a lot of people had was that Lampard's game plan set up and game management would improve with the team, but sadly for all concerned it didn't.

I think with Dyche - we may not have ended up with the most 'fashionable' or 'headline' person for the job, but we may have ended up with one of the most suitable for our needs and purpose. There could be a definite lesson in there for us as a club.

On 23/02/2023 at 10:32, RuffRob said:

I was very difficult to access him last season given the whole situation and being in the fight of our lives. A few things I liked about Lampard last season was he did try his preferred style to to play and when it didn't work he adapted and went more solid and defensive. 

I like the talk and action of bringing in more robust players in to the squad who didn't eat up our wage bill on the treatment table.  I did like the spirit he help manufacture and he definitely brought the playing side and fans together. I think there was a lot of good think done with Lampard in place. 

This season started promising, but like you said it didn't really developed and the not so great football (or results) we had at the backend of last season in a relegation battle was becoming the norm. Lampard's inexperience and perhaps limited ability in the 90min of a game was getting more and more exposed in each games. 

I think the hope a lot of people had was that Lampard's game plan set up and game management would improve with the team, but sadly for all concerned it didn't.

I think with Dyche - we may not have ended up with the most 'fashionable' or 'headline' person for the job, but we may have ended up with one of the most suitable for our needs and purpose. There could be a definite lesson in there for us as a club.

I disagree with the first bit. Poor tactics are poor tactics whether you are top or bottom. I wouldn't say we ended up being any more solid and defensive as we still conceded too many chances and goals. Ill also add that the same issues that got him the sack at Chelsea, were the same issues that got him the sack at Everton.

The players he signed did still cost a lot in wages. Onana and Tarkowski in particular are two of our highest earners, more than doubling the cost of the wages Richarlison was on. Alli will be on a lot too.

I just didn't see the real promise at the start of the season. We created little and still gave away chances. Same as the end of the season before with 6 or so new signings.

He clearly needed to be given a chance to rebuild after last season but as I have said before, the signings he made combined with how he wanted to play just didn't make sense and we were seeing exactly the same patterns both in attack and defence as we did at the end of last season. 

I think Lampard got a lot of extra credit because he was a "good guy", had a relationship with the fans and probably also because he replaced the universally hated Benitez. 

11 hours ago, Sibdane said:

We have to figure out a new striker situation in the summer, and we’ll also need to figure out a solid backup. DCL is beyond unreliable for a season campaign at this point. 

We should have done that last summer and definitely in January, what's happened with DCL is nothing new, but what is new that we seemed to have witnessed is that Thelwell who had month's of planning with numerous players targeted, failed a long with his owner and directors to secure one deal. 

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

We should have done that last summer and definitely in January, what's happened with DCL is nothing new, but what is new that we seemed to have witnessed is that Thelwell who had month's of planning with numerous players targeted, failed a long with his owner and directors to secure one deal. 

Made his job a lot harder by sacking Lampard halfway through the transfer window.

Dyche has us playing much better football, the chances we created should have resulted in 2/3 goals against Villa. He can only do so much with what he’s got. 

4 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I’ve got no issues at all with dyche and actually think if we go down he’s the right man to get us back up. 

but it’s a fuckin piss take that we nearly missed out on him due to moshiri being moshiri and also the fact that he should have been in place pre World Cup. 

Very true, all the damage has been done pre SD, I still think we’ll scrape through, there’s so many other teams within a few points, and he’s got the mental aptitude to lead us through.

17 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Very true, all the damage has been done pre SD, I still think we’ll scrape through, there’s so many other teams within a few points, and he’s got the mental aptitude to lead us through.

The absolute frustration for me is that if we had a big striker who was half decent we would be clear of the drop zone.  One player…. One fuckin player. 

43 minutes ago, RPG said:

I share that frustration. I think we have to give up on DCL. Whatever is going on there, I don't think we are going to get more than a few cameo appearances out of him to the end of the season.

I vaguely remember a game under Moyes when our strikers were all injured at the same time and we played what was basically a 4-6-0 formation with Tim Cahill getting forward from midfield when he could. That might not be a bad idea this Wednesday night. Just invite Arsenal to try to break us down with a 4-1-5-0 formation and hope we can hang on for a 0-0.

Something like:

Pickford

Coleman  Coady  Tarkowski  Mykolenko

Gueye

Gray  Doucoure Iwobi  Onana  McNeil

Gray and Iwobi could swap positions throughout the game.

Thing is back then we had the likes of Cahill, baines, Pienaar, arteta who could score goals  we don’t have any finishers now

20 hours ago, Btay said:

Made his job a lot harder by sacking Lampard halfway through the transfer window.

Dyche has us playing much better football, the chances we created should have resulted in 2/3 goals against Villa. He can only do so much with what he’s got. 

My post had nothing to do with Dyche I never mentioned him, my criticism was of Thelwell, Moshiri and the Directors who had nearly 8 months of targeting players, and the planning of how they were going to get a couple of forwards in and they failed miserably. The sacking of Lampard is irrelevant and not an excuse for them not to deliver because they are the ones who decided to sack Lampard anyway. So let's say you're right the sacking of Lampard was the reason we couldn't sign anyone, then that's down to all the above surely, as a collective they fired him. 
Really we should have had all our targets identified and our business concluded in the first week or 2 of the window.