IGNORED

Sean Dyche

Hafnia

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Under Dyche -

8 games for 11 points. Over a season that roughly works out to 52 points. Obviously there still plenty of improvement to be made but if we continue like this for the rest of the season we should be safe this year & if we continue it for next season comfortably mid table.

And those games included most of the top teams, including Arsenal twice. 

I actually get excited to go again recently. Not always sure of the points, but the football is nowhere near as bad as I expected. He plays a high pressure style, and I find that exciting to watch.

While Iwobi might be going the wrong way, McNeil has stepped up massively. Gray is showing some bite. Tarks is a weapon. Doucs has totally turned his form around and is more of the player we had at the start.

Jesus…. Is this what they call optimism?

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

And those games included most of the top teams, including Arsenal twice. 

2 of the top teams (arsenal/Liverpool)...so 3 games out of 8 against top teams. 

not taking anything away from him just correcting the perception.

Leicester have had an awful run of fixtures that past 10 games. Unreal. 

I'm happy with the way we are playing because  it's going to keep us in this division, the football doesn't excite me we are just working hard to stay in the game to survive, backs against the wall every week isn't the style of football I want to see from any Everton team. But I readily accept Dyche doesn't have a great deal of options, he's taken over a shit show with very little time and hardly any resources to save our lives and he's doing a brilliant job by putting some fight back in the players. So I'm hoping next season he can improve on our playing style so we get a team who can play some decent football as well as battle, because I don't want a manager who thinks playing for survival and staying in the league is an achievement, we are bigger than Burnley and I just hope he can handle and fore fill the bigger expectations that will be placed on him. 

14 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

He should have been in after the Bournemouth double defeat and we would be out of sight of bottom 3 now. 

let’s hope it doesn’t cost us. We have 2 weeks to get dcl, Patterson and garner fit enough to start. 

I think we will survive mate, before he arrived I thought we were down with Lampard who had lost all control of our situation. Dyche has taken a bunch of infantry men and turned them into a group of marines, who are holding the lines with their backs against the wall and against all the odds. 
I can see a lot of the Moyes era in our defending and fighting as a team, next season I want to see some of the Moyes expansive football to go with the fight. If Dyche can make us a team that are in and around the top 6 again I will die a happy Evertonian. 

3 hours ago, Wiggytop said:

He’s doing want Lampard failed to do with the resources he has available, I’m pleased and think we will get more attractive to watch with a few additions in the summer, I’m becoming more confident we will do enough to stay up.

I think it's what we need too. No more managers coming in and spending money to play possession based football. If we can dominant teams physically, and keep creating changes through direct play, we can build possession into the philosophy in time.

Easier said than done, but just don't lose games. Under Moyes we were great at that, it gave us identity and consistency, something we have lacked in a long time.

I hope recruitment in the summer isn't fancy, but we bring in effective players who suit the system. All of a sudden, I don't feel as negative about the quality of the squad as I did under Lampard. we need reinforcements, no doubt, but maybe an overhaul isn't as necessary as I once thought.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

I think we will survive mate, before he arrived I thought we were down with Lampard who had lost all control of our situation. Dyche has taken a bunch of infantry men and turned them into a group of marines, who are holding the lines with their backs against the wall and against all the odds. 
I can see a lot of the Moyes era in our defending and fighting as a team, next season I want to see some of the Moyes expansive football to go with the fight. If Dyche can make us a team that are in and around the top 6 again I will die a happy Evertonian. 

I actually think dyche plays good stuff, he’s more expansive than Moyes was already for me given the personnel we have. 

he deffo has an air of “don’t fuck with me” - not from what I’ve seen in his interviews but reading between the lines he had Joey Barton on best behaviour who told Chris Long to put his head down and don’t speak when dyche was giving a post match bollocking. 

I deffo think he acts the nice guy to the media but runs a very very tight ship behind the scenes.  Long may it continue, the players have had it too easy for too long. I was getting sick of seeing “happy finch farm” players walking out like eskimos dressed like they were playing in Siberia and laughing and joking whilst averaging 0.5 points a game. 

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I have no doubt that there will come a time when a discussion will be had as to whether Dyche has taken us as far as he can go, but that time is years away from now!

I wouldn't be so confident in that mate, if we are fighting relegation come next January Moshiri will not see it that way, hopefully he gets us playing some decent football alongside the fight he's instilled in the players, 10th next January instead of flirting with 17th or 18th and him getting the axe. 

3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I wouldn't be so confident in that mate, if we are fighting relegation come next January Moshiri will not see it that way, hopefully he gets us playing some decent football alongside the fight he's instilled in the players, 10th next January instead of flirting with 17th or 18th and him getting the axe. 

From what I've seen, which isn't as much as I'd like, we've played gritty when needed and expansive when we can. Dyche isn't a 1 trick pony. 

14 minutes ago, Matt said:

From what I've seen, which isn't as much as I'd like, we've played gritty when needed and expansive when we can. Dyche isn't a 1 trick pony. 

I really hope he isn't a 1 trick pony. He's done unbelievably well since he got here I now don't fear we will go down, yet under Lampard I was convinced we would be gone. In my opinion Dyche is enjoying himself like a pig in shit, he's doing what he's done most of PL managerial career which is setting a team up to fight the drop. I do have a few concerns that maybe that's his way of playing week in week out. Not wanting to wish my life away but I can't wait for next season to see him get a couple of his own signings in and show us a different approach to his management style, but until then I'm made up with what he's achieved to date not many could have turned us round the way he has, plus I really like him as a person. 

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I really hope he isn't a 1 trick pony. He's done unbelievably well since he got here I now don't fear we will go down, yet under Lampard I was convinced we would be gone. In my opinion Dyche is enjoying himself like a pig in shit, he's doing what he's done most of PL managerial career which is setting a team up to fight the drop. I do have a few concerns that maybe that's his way of playing week in week out. Not wanting to wish my life away but I can't wait for next season to see him get a couple of his own signings in and show us a different approach to his management style, but until then I'm made up with what he's achieved to date not many could have turned us round the way he has, plus I really like him as a person. 

But you can see the expansive, exciting stuff in the games too. Don't forget he got Burnley into Europe too. 

1 trick pony he is not. 

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've been pleasantly surprised by him tbh.

If we stay up, I would be interested to see what sort of team / squad he will develop, and what sort of football we will play.

I think it will be allot more technical and passing based than people think, but with a steely defense, and mentality.

I think the biggest difference I've seen is in mentality. We don't seem to be that team anymore that goes a goal down and gives up.  

I was convinced that we would have done much better under Lampard if we had more/better options up front but Dyche has made better in that regard mainly by changing the mentality of the team. 

I still believe we need heavy investment up front, but the future seems to have much more of a pink tint to it than recently.

On 19/03/2023 at 09:52, Palfy said:

I'm happy with the way we are playing because  it's going to keep us in this division, the football doesn't excite me we are just working hard to stay in the game to survive, backs against the wall every week isn't the style of football I want to see from any Everton team. But I readily accept Dyche doesn't have a great deal of options, he's taken over a shit show with very little time and hardly any resources to save our lives and he's doing a brilliant job by putting some fight back in the players. So I'm hoping next season he can improve on our playing style so we get a team who can play some decent football as well as battle, because I don't want a manager who thinks playing for survival and staying in the league is an achievement, we are bigger than Burnley and I just hope he can handle and fore fill the bigger expectations that will be placed on him. 

I don’t think we are playing backs to the wall every week. 
Some of our counter attacking has been very good and exciting, just without the quality to finish it off. 

Dyche is still only 51 (so relatively young manager) but has managed over 480 games, with most of these game in the Premiership and with a team that has generally punched above it weight. I think everybody was pretty shocked when Burnley sacked him last season. I think he has a great CV for extracting a lot out of limited resources consistently in the Premier League - he has put in the hard yards in the league, playing teams who have significantly better resources.

Given the number of managers that have been swapped out in the Premier league this season, we have had by far the best deal in who we have brought in. 

When the January transfer window close, I had pretty much given up on us being a premier league team next season. It is still going to be tough - but Dyche has somehow managed bring some optimism to the club. 

The way the league has panned out this season could be a taste of the future - the huge TV money to all clubs make it a much more even playing field for clubs outside the top 6. At this moment in time I am glad we have a solid and seasoned Dyche type in charge. There will be fine line between the teams that stay up and those who go down this season, if this is the beginning of a trend, then caution first has to be the pre requisite for the next few seasons.

I would bite your hand off for a couple of seasons of mid table mediocrity at the moment, and I am sure that would be something Dyche could be quite capable delivering on a consistent basis once he gets a transfer window to bring in some reinforcements. I would be happy mixing it with like of Brentford, Brighton and Fulham for a few seasons (not something I ever thought I would be saying!!!)

I am very happy with Dyche - there is no bullshit with him. 'Maximum effort is the minimum required' is a simply mantra I can get behind and I think he would actually get together a team we would like to watch playing. We have not had this in a long time.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Given the number of managers that have been swapped out in the Premier league this season, we have had by far the best deal in who we have brought in. 

Tottally agree with this. He knows he is at a big club and is definitely wanting to make us that again.

14 hours ago, London Blue said:

If we stay up, I would be interested to see what sort of team / squad he will develop, and what sort of football we will play.

I think it will be allot more technical and passing based than people think, but with a steely defense, and mentality.

That would be the ideal, it'd have something for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...