IGNORED

Tom Davies

... and his boundless energy is a big plus at right-back.

I'm a big Davies fan but even I wouldn't say he's got boundless energy. As square pegs go he's an option but depends more on the opposition. If tactically you want the right back to be bombing down and overlapping Godfrey would be the better option. 

• 2 weeks later...

Given another opportunity to show what he has got tonight and he completely blew it again 

I really wanted him to make it in an Everton shirt but it’s not looking good at the moment. 
Playing against lower league opposition he should have taken the game by the scruff of the neck and dictated play but his only impact on the game was missing the decisive penalty

Surely this is the last time we ever see Gomes and Davies starting together for Everton? They’ve got to be the weakest CM pairing we’ve ever had in the history of the club

9 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Given another opportunity to show what he has got tonight and he completely blew it again 

I really wanted him to make it in an Everton shirt but it’s not looking good at the moment. 
Playing against lower league opposition he should have taken the game by the scruff of the neck and dictated play but his only impact on the game was missing the decisive penalty

Surely this is the last time we ever see Gomes and Davies starting together for Everton? They’ve got to be the weakest CM pairing we’ve ever had in the history of the club

Yeah, in the 100 plus year history of our club, Davies and Gomez is the worst pairing. Way worse than the some of the dynamic duo's we had under previous managers  

🤔:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

Yeah, in the 100 plus year history of our club, Davies and Gomez is the worst pairing. Way worse than the some of the dynamic duo's we had under previous managers  

🤔:rolleyes:

I’ve been watching Everton home and away for the best part of 50 years and while there have been plenty of worse players individually than either Davies or Gomes I genuinely can’t think of a worse pairing

45 minutes ago, London Blue said:

Philip Neville and any of his midfield partners for one.

IMO Phil Neville was far more effective than these two when they are played together 

I also said there were many worse players individually so you would need to give me a specific example of any pairing you are referring to

9 hours ago, patto said:

Sorry but Davies has no pace he can’t possibly play right back. 

Can't be any slower than Luca Digne... Pace isn't everything.

To be honest though I agree with you. I've seen enough of Davies and haven't really thought he'd be anymore use to the club for several seasons now.

To go a step further the club needs a huge overhaul. Keane, Holgate, Davies, Gomes, Sigurdsson, Kenny have all been here far too long and haven't proven they're good enough to take us where we want to be. Recruitment is a real mess and I don't see it getting better under Moshiri.

4 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Can't be any slower than Luca Digne... Pace isn't everything.

To be honest though I agree with you. I've seen enough of Davies and haven't really thought he'd be anymore use to the club for several seasons now.

To go a step further the club needs a huge overhaul. Keane, Holgate, Davies, Gomes, Sigurdsson, Kenny have all been here far too long and haven't proven they're good enough to take us where we want to be. Recruitment is a real mess and I don't see it getting better under Moshiri.

What's interesting about the players you mentioned (bar Kenny) is that they've all had moments, even as recently as last season, where they were a difference maker for us. So while I agree that we need to move on from them being integral parts of the first team, there's an argument to be made that they are good options as squad players. We're not going to be a City or Chelsea with all that squad depth (at least not anytime soon), so I wouldn't be averse to some of those guys being useful squad players. 

On 22/09/2021 at 07:44, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think only Allan and Doucoure can play as a midfield 2. Maybe, Gbamin but who actually knows with him. Gomes and Davies are just not physical enough. That one is on benetiz though, hopefully he learns from it.

2 hours ago, London Blue said:

Players like Davies and Gomes need to be in a midfield 3 to be effective, if you put them in a midfield of two they wont perform well. 

Sometimes a midfield 3 will suit us, and when it does they are useful players.

I think they just need a ball winner alongside them, well Gomes anyway he was superb when we had Gueye alongside him

The issue is neither are capable of stamping their authority on the game so when you put them together it’s a recipe for disaster as we’ve seen

13 hours ago, Btay said:

I think only Allan and Doucoure can play as a midfield 2. Maybe, Gbamin but who actually knows with him. Gomes and Davies are just not physical enough. That one is on benetiz though, hopefully he learns from it.

I agree about Allan and Doucoure, how long can Allan carry on playing at the intensity he does I don’t know possibly another season 2 at the most. I don’t see Gbamin taking over from him to be honest I don’t see him ever being a regular in the team, which is a shame really after all the bad luck he’s had to endure.  

19 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

What's interesting about the players you mentioned (bar Kenny) is that they've all had moments, even as recently as last season, where they were a difference maker for us. So while I agree that we need to move on from them being integral parts of the first team, there's an argument to be made that they are good options as squad players. We're not going to be a City or Chelsea with all that squad depth (at least not anytime soon), so I wouldn't be averse to some of those guys being useful squad players. 

I think you need to look at when those players were difference makers. Most of them was when we spent 90% of the game camped around our 18 yard box. As soon as you want to play more expansively, those players show their glaring weaknesses.

37 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I think they just need a ball winner alongside them, well Gomes anyway he was superb when we had Gueye alongside him

The issue is neither are capable of stamping their authority on the game so when you put them together it’s a recipe for disaster as we’ve seen

I think both would struggle alongside Allan as well. To get the most out of Davies and Gomes, you basically need someone who can do their own job plus a bit of theirs as well.

I can see the argument about them both being capable in a 3 man midfield, but that is only because it papers over the cracks in their game. I would rather we sold them on and brought in a player that didn't need his hand to be held for 90 minutes.

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think you need to look at when those players were difference makers. Most of them was when we spent 90% of the game camped around our 18 yard box. As soon as you want to play more expansively, those players show their glaring weaknesses.

I think both would struggle alongside Allan as well. To get the most out of Davies and Gomes, you basically need someone who can do their own job plus a bit of theirs as well.

I can see the argument about them both being capable in a 3 man midfield, but that is only because it papers over the cracks in their game. I would rather we sold them on and brought in a player that didn't need his hand to be held for 90 minutes.

Football is a team game, players complementing each other and working together. It's not a question of holding players hands, its a question certain players working better in certain formtions. Both Doucoure and Alan are high energy players as was Gana, which allowed other players to play their game. To me, we have always looked more effective when we have played a midfield 3, mostly I guess because we have had the players that suit that system. In the Burnley game we looked so much better when he had Gomes, Doucoure, and Alan playing together.

We have a threadbare squad and it will take time to repair the damage done by Walsh and co, I am sure painful lessons have been learnt. When the FFP rules allow we can recruit the players we need. 

20 hours ago, Palfy said:

I agree about Allan and Doucoure, how long can Allan carry on playing at the intensity he does I don’t know possibly another season 2 at the most. I don’t see Gbamin taking over from him to be honest I don’t see him ever being a regular in the team, which is a shame really after all the bad luck he’s had to endure.  

Allan seems like the kind of player that will come back from a pre season and just no longer be at the level required. Gbamin is just an unknown, after this long i just can’t see him being a reliable option.

I hope we are looking at options for the summer window however.