IGNORED

Abdoulaye Doucouré

Peter H

1 hour ago, StevO said:

We managed to get through with Doucoure and Davies for a while, with the hope of putting Allan in there and see more improvement. But taking Doucoure’s running out will be a big miss. 
Gomes or Gylfi need to step up. 

Made the point in the match thread.  It's understandable that players have moments of loss of form/poor games.

What is inexcusable is players not getting back or working for eachother. Doucoure is a player who we will miss for his bravery. .... Never hides. May not have the qualities of Gomes technically but pisses on him for application. 

10 hours ago, StevO said:

We managed to get through with Doucoure and Davies for a while, with the hope of putting Allan in there and see more improvement. But taking Doucoure’s running out will be a big miss. 
Gomes or Gylfi need to step up. 

Gomes or Gylfi can’t replace Doucoure they are different types of players and haven’t got his energy, unless Gbamin is close to fitness he maybe the closes player to fill his role, I think we will probably see a change of system from Ancelotti to try and compensate for his loss, than someone being directly asked to fill his role. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Gomes or Gylfi can’t replace Doucoure they are different types of players and haven’t got his energy, unless Gbamin is close to fitness he maybe the closes player to fill his role, I think we will probably see a change of system from Ancelotti to try and compensate for his loss, than someone being directly asked to fill his role. 

They might be different types of player, but we don’t have anyone like him. So one of those two is going to have to step in. We don’t have enough options out wide to get away from having a three man midfield and we’ve only got four who are fit in Allan, Davies, Gylfi and Gomes. There are very few options for us to go for two wide players and Davies and Allan in there, and that terrifies me too. 

13 hours ago, Btay said:

Not wise to ask or expect Gbamin to come in and do Doucoure’s high intensity role. 

Davies is hugely underrated defensively. Himself and Allan can hold the midfield with a more expansive player between them to supply a front 3. 

I think he is overrated personally. He cuts the passing lanes well but he doesn't react quick enough and then he can't recover a lot of the time. I ran through the Spurs game and it was shocking how often he was involved in their chances. When you get someone like Allan there it is like night and day. Despite coming back from injury he is so much sharper.

5 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think he is overrated personally. He cuts the passing lanes well but he doesn't react quick enough and then he can't recover a lot of the time. I ran through the Spurs game and it was shocking how often he was involved in their chances. When you get someone like Allan there it is like night and day. Despite coming back from injury he is so much sharper.

You said Davies had a bad game the other week and that Doucoure was better but Davies stats were much stronger. 

18 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

It's true but I would say in the case of the likes of Allan and Davies they make clear points to what they bring.

Be er thought I'd say that about Tom tbf

I disagree. The footage from the Spurs game is a clear example. 

The impressive moments from Allan aren't just how many times he wins the ball, its how close he gets to attackers, how he tracks their runs, covers his teammates and sees things develop before they do. 

Just as an example you can see that in the clip of the first goal against Chelsea. Look how sharply he sprints in to cover Jorgino just in case the ball gets to him. If the ball had got to him it would have been turned over and we would have been on an attack. You don't get that with Davies regularly enough. In the Spurs clips he had a chance to do that but jogged across and got taken out of the game because he was too slow to be able to get back in front of the attacker. Even on the penalty, its hard to tell from the highlighted clip he doesn't close down the man who plays the pass. He just sits off him. There may be reasons for that outside of the clip but it doesn't look great. It is clearly his man

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I disagree. The footage from the Spurs game is a clear example. 

The impressive moments from Allan aren't just how many times he wins the ball, its how close he gets to attackers, how he tracks their runs, covers his teammates and sees things develop before they do. 

Just as an example you can see that in the clip of the first goal against Chelsea. Look how sharply he sprints in to cover Jorgino just in case the ball gets to him. If the ball had got to him it would have been turned over and we would have been on an attack. You don't get that with Davies regularly enough. In the Spurs clips he had a chance to do that but jogged across and got taken out of the game because he was too slow to be able to get back in front of the attacker. Even on the penalty, its hard to tell from the highlighted clip he doesn't close down the man who plays the pass. He just sits off him. There may be reasons for that outside of the clip but it doesn't look great. It is clearly his man

I've said elsewhere how impressive Allan is.  That stats back this up but it also takes for you to observe the simplicity of his game 

Tom Davies is better than you credit him. 

15 hours ago, Hafnia said:

I've said elsewhere how impressive Allan is.  That stats back this up but it also takes for you to observe the simplicity of his game 

Tom Davies is better than you credit him. 

Allan is the benchmark and everyone else in our squad needs to come up to that benchmark. Doucoure is there in his defensive work but Davies is well off it I am afraid.

I have said in this and match day threads that Davies is improving on the ball and his positional play in attack but he is lacking as a defensive midfielder for all the reasons I have mentioned, which I note have not been disputed. I am happy to re-review if you can provide me with evidence.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

Allan is the benchmark and everyone else in our squad needs to come up to that benchmark. Doucoure is there in his defensive work but Davies is well off it I am afraid.

I have said in this and match day threads that Davies is improving on the ball and his positional play in attack but he is lacking as a defensive midfielder for all the reasons I have mentioned, which I note have not been disputed. I am happy to re-review if you can provide me with evidence.

Allan is clear and away our best midfielder by a mile and arguably up there as the best of his type in the league ....... So how is that supposed to reflect badly on Tom? 

As a defensive midfielder Davies isn't the quickest or strongest but his mental approach and improvement has been marked. No-one is touting him as a premier league star but you seem to be trying to push an age old narrative on a player who is evolving before our eyes -  he's 22 doing a role not a great deal of young players do. 

Pretty much out for the season - little point in bringing somebody back for the last game or two when they will not be match fit . Shame -  he has been a massive player this season, so him being out could make the difference between Europe or not come May. 

Only shining light is that Davies has been amazing since Xmas, so he will have a run in the team until the end of the year if he stays fit. If he continues with his form we will definitely know if he is one to keep long term at the club.