IGNORED

Alex Iwobi

9 hours ago, StevO said:

Thank fuck for that. I was starting to worry then. 
His upturn in form is brilliant, but he’s played about a dozen good games in a blue shirt. I don’t see any reason why his value would have changed. Still first name on the team sheet, but needs to carry on before he’s worth any more money. 

I think there is also an element of him looking good because of all the other dross we have had before him. 

Once Gueye, Onana and Garner have settled in he will look more 'average' as a result. 

The price we paid for him was on the back of a very productive season at Arsenal. I cant see too many teams rushing to buy him at around that price again without showing a bit more of that. I imagine his wages will be an issue too.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I think there is also an element of him looking good because of all the other dross we have had before him. 

Once Gueye, Onana and Garner have settled in he will look more 'average' as a result. 

The price we paid for him was on the back of a very productive season at Arsenal. I cant see too many teams rushing to buy him at around that price again without showing a bit more of that. I imagine his wages will be an issue too.

He could look average or he could be even better when having decent players around him. His skill set has never been in doubt, it's been his decision making and if players around him can move better I think his decisions become a lot easier. Frank has a headache in midfield for a change. 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

He could look average or he could be even better when having decent players around him. His skill set has never been in doubt, it's been his decision making and if players around him can move better I think his decisions become a lot easier. Frank has a headache in midfield for a change. 

I think decision making is part of it but I think generally his weakness is between the ears. 

That has definitely improved by being a lot more involved in games, getting on the ball and feeling part of the team (instead of stuck out wide and doing more tracking back than attacking). 

He has made some great passes and he has some nice skills but Onana has come straight in and played some nice forward balls, according to Shukes Gana has been showing Messi how to play at PSG 😜, and what we like about Iwobi wont stand out as much. 

It could improve him or he could stay about the same. Even if its the latter it is a big improvement and will be one of Lampard's biggest achievements at the club so far (avoiding relegation aside).

If Iwobi’s recent effort & application becomes the benchmark for players in our team I’ll be very happy. 

I felt when he came here he would be a better midfielder in a 3 than a winger, purely for his end product. If he finishes the season with 5-10 goal contributions from midfield, I think that’s a solid return.

10 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think decision making is part of it but I think generally his weakness is between the ears. 

That has definitely improved by being a lot more involved in games, getting on the ball and feeling part of the team (instead of stuck out wide and doing more tracking back than attacking). 

He has made some great passes and he has some nice skills but Onana has come straight in and played some nice forward balls, according to Shukes Gana has been showing Messi how to play at PSG 😜, and what we like about Iwobi wont stand out as much. 

It could improve him or he could stay about the same. Even if its the latter it is a big improvement and will be one of Lampard's biggest achievements at the club so far (avoiding relegation aside).

You're a miserable sod. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

He is more settled confident now. People make better decisions when they have confidence in themselves and those around them. We are seeing that from Iwobi and other players now Frank and Co are in charge.

Not sure how I feel about that. He still has 2 years to go and while he's been fantastic so far this season, there are many examples of players being rewarded with a new contract following a brief purple patch only for their form to then drop back off. I'd rather they started thinking about this at least midway through the season, not after 7 games. 

2 minutes ago, Isaiah said:

Not sure how I feel about that. He still has 2 years to go and while he's been fantastic so far this season, there are many examples of players being rewarded with a new contract following a brief purple patch only for their form to then drop back off. I'd rather they started thinking about this at least midway through the season, not after 7 games. 

My thoughts exactly, too early.

6 hours ago, Isaiah said:

It's been a lot longer than that. He was better for at least the last 10-15 games of last season as well. That he picked right back up in the new season and that his rise in form coincided with Frank's arrival strongly suggests it's not temporary.

I would get him signed on an extension sooner rather than later preferably before the January transfer window, the way he’s playing he must be attracting a lot of the big boys. I wouldn’t want to see a big offer come in and Moshiri seriously considers it worth taking because he only has 18 months left on his contract, or worse even Iwobi having his head turned.  

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Albany, I too apologised a few months ago for my negativity towards Iwobi. Though at the time we were going nowhere and did not have any managerial/training nous. Very glad to have been proved wrong and have voted him MOM most times so far this season.

Thing is he is humble and grounded I don’t think he would be concerned about the negativity in the past. He has acknowledged he wasn’t good before but you can see how much it means to him that fans are behind him.

I think a new contract as symbol of acknowledgment from the club that they trust him will give him another boost. I really hope he kicks on as I think he still has more to contribute than he is now.

11 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Went looking for my comments in this thread but apparently i left the really bad stuff in the matchday posts. He's had many a critic on here and I was towards the front of the queue. While this is a great place to share our thoughts and grievances it's also very important we admit to our mistakes. I would like to formally apologize to Alex. Many have been watching Everton for decades so I'm sure others jump to mind but in my 15 years I have never seen anyone have a turnaround like his. He was absolute trash no way around it and now he is our most important player. Full credit to him (with a decent assist from the coaching staff) on persistence and unlocking his potential. 

I was of the same opinion, and I dont think there were many who were happy with him until Frank arrived and it all changed. I remember at Brentford cup game when Frank brought him on as a late sub, there was a bloke at the back of the top balcony shouting in a very pained voice, “nooooo Frank not Iwobi” most were laughing in agreement.  Also when Carlo was here Iwobi said that he needed to be played in his best position but it never happened, my reps once was “ not at Everton”.

He does need to chip in with more goals, as do all the squad atm, but his play to create the assist on Sunday was lovely to watch, it’s all down to him, long may it continue.

22 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Love this, he looks so calm when on the ball and always looking quickly for who's available for a pass.  Almost all of his passes are forward passes as well.

Great work for the goal as well, starts things off in the middle with the ball out to Mykolenko, and settles initially in to a defensive position to cover Myk but then spots the space to run into to receive the ball again where he can drive forward and pick out Maupay.  Really good awareness.

1 hour ago, Wiggytop said:

Also when Carlo was here Iwobi said that he needed to be played in his best position but it never happened, my reps once was “ not at Everton”.

That looks really odd now because he's said he'll play anywhere he's asked and will give his all. So I'm not sure if something got a bit lost in that interview.

Obviously not in translation :lol:.

15 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Went looking for my comments in this thread but apparently i left the really bad stuff in the matchday posts. He's had many a critic on here and I was towards the front of the queue. While this is a great place to share our thoughts and grievances it's also very important we admit to our mistakes. I would like to formally apologize to Alex. Many have been watching Everton for decades so I'm sure others jump to mind but in my 15 years I have never seen anyone have a turnaround like his. He was absolute trash no way around it and now he is our most important player. Full credit to him (with a decent assist from the coaching staff) on persistence and unlocking his potential. 

It's all about management. I'm not sure whether it's a matter of confidence or role or team chemistry, but he's achieving now what he couldn't under previous management teams.

9 hours ago, FairWooney said:

Love this, he looks so calm when on the ball and always looking quickly for who's available for a pass.  Almost all of his passes are forward passes as well.

The difference in a player who used to look like Bambi shitting himself every time he got the ball, now he’s confident and knows he’s got the crowd behind him he’s passing forwards, taking players on and looking like a player we couldn’t really do without.