IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

With not much hope of anything happening transfer wise and going by Rafas past exploits, how long before Rafa is infront of the camera blaming lack of funds, the board etc after a poor run of results?

(Nothing to do with today's friendly, been pondering this for a bit of time)

2 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

With not much hope of anything happening transfer wise and going by Rafas past exploits, how long before Rafa is infront of the camera blaming lack of funds, the board etc after a poor run of results?

(Nothing to do with today's friendly, been pondering this for a bit of time)

I said he will be sacked before the end of the campaign.  His defense first football will be toxic and hard man Rafa Will wear thin with the players.  Goodison will be a cauldron of negativity.  I expect moshiri out banners as well.

16 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I said he will be sacked before the end of the campaign.  His defense first football will be toxic and hard man Rafa Will wear thin with the players.  Goodison will be a cauldron of negativity.  I expect moshiri out banners as well.

I think the banners should say...

Moshiri concentrate on the business side. Leave the footy alone. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

If that’s defensive football, then Carlo won’t last seconds at Real with his football.

Im going to predict that many will change their minds within the first few months. 

If I’m wrong…. Then I’ll stick to my day job 😉

8 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Just think it's pre-season, as soon as we go 1-0 down to Southampton inside the first 10 minutes it's going to absolutely go off. 

I thought that the toxicity when Martinez was on his last legs was bad, but this is going to take it to a whole new level. 

Honestly, really wouldn't be surprised to see him walk/sacked as early as October, just because of how much of a clusterfuck it's going to be.

I think there's a few people on here who need to take a good look at themselves. This was a pre season friendly away to a decent Man utd side. Whereas we had half of our side missing. 

Its basically a practise match with the chance to see new players, and to see how they play in different positions and in different systems. I think you should put the knives away for the time being and see how it goes.

10 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think there's a few people on here who need to take a good look at themselves. This was a pre season friendly away to a decent Man utd side. Whereas we had half of our side missing. 

Its basically a practise match with the chance to see new players, and to see how they play in different positions and in different systems. I think you should put the knives away for the time being and see how it goes.

I don't agree about the pre-season comments. Results clearly bare no importance but performances do. This is where you get to work on those things that you are trying to achieve in the season. Today was the final tune-up and we started with 10 of what I expect to be our starting 11 for the weekend. 

Given everything we know about Benitez are you expecting much to change in respect of our system at the weekend, because I am not.

There will definitely be a settling in period and the players will sharpen up as the season goes on but what we saw in that first half will be a lot of what we can expect to see against Southampton. 

We will improve though, and I expect a step forward ahead of that game but if anyone is expecting a massive change in the next 7 days they probably need to put down whatever it is they are smoking. I agree that it certainly isn't time to be writing the season off yet!

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Is it unthinkable that we'd lose to Soton?

It looks like they have had a really disappointing summer and having lost their star striker, I think their star midfielder is also going to be out. 

I can see them struggling again this season unless something changes before the end of the window.

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

I think the banners should say...

Moshiri concentrate on the business side. Leave the footy alone. Thanks.

I agree but I think Moshiri and Usmanov can’t do that, they seem to have this the belief in themselves when it comes to all things football and are completely blinkered and can’t accept that most of the failings in the last 5 years are down to them. 

Just now, Palfy said:

I agree but I think Moshiri and Usmanov can’t do that, they seem to have this the belief in themselves when it comes to all things football and are completely blinkered and can’t accept that most of the failings in the last 5 years are down to them. 

He will build the stadium and everyone will declare him a savior.  I’d rather play in a shed and win stuff than play in the thunder dome and be bottom half.

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Personally I don’t see us losing or conceding to Southampton, and If the unthinkable happens I won’t be calling for Benitez head after one game. 

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Is it unthinkable that we'd lose to Soton?

It’s not unthinkable, I’d rather not, but it may happen, I certainly won’t be calling for Benitez out after 1 game, surely we need to give him time to get the squad settled, we’ve had a shit storm of a summer and a bit of patience is needed.

7 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

It’s not unthinkable, I’d rather not, but it may happen, I certainly won’t be calling for Benitez out after 1 game, surely we need to give him time to get the squad settled, we’ve had a shit storm of a summer and a bit of patience is needed.

100%

57 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

He will build the stadium and everyone will declare him a savior.  I’d rather play in a shed and win stuff than play in the thunder dome and be bottom half.

We've had 25 years of playing in a shed and won nothing.  So why is moving to a stadium going to be a negative. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't agree about the pre-season comments. Results clearly bare no importance but performances do. This is where you get to work on those things that you are trying to achieve in the season. Today was the final tune-up and we started with 10 of what I expect to be our starting 11 for the weekend. 

Given everything we know about Benitez are you expecting much to change in respect of our system at the weekend, because I am not.

There will definitely be a settling in period and the players will sharpen up as the season goes on but what we saw in that first half will be a lot of what we can expect to see against Southampton. 

We will improve though, and I expect a step forward ahead of that game but if anyone is expecting a massive change in the next 7 days they probably need to put down whatever it is they are smoking. I agree that it certainly isn't time to be writing the season off yet!

Which one of Richarlison and DCL would you drop?

Performance was miles better than the result today. A gift for the first, an absolute giveaway for the second. 
Quality third. 
Fourth… we’ll big tall Mina, enough said I think.

We attacked more today than we did the whole of last season didn’t we? ( in any single match I mean) Is that fair? 

People keep saying that Benetez is a really defensive coach, yet so far we haven’t saw that in any of the friendlies. Is this because he hasn’t really taken control yet…. But when he does it’s going to change?

Sorry Bailey, I’ve quoted you due to the first couple of points… then gone off on a tangent haha. Not targeted at you, but asking questions of the handful of real Rafa haters. 
Again not saying they are wrong, just that I aren’t noticing this whole Rafa thing yet. All I can see is slight steps forward… after only a few weeks, and a few friendlys.

41 minutes ago, Shukes said:

Do you want him to change the system and tactics because I don’t, he’s trying to get us to play by going forward or would you rather he had us playing across the line then backwards as Ancelotti had us doing, what needs changing is some of the players not the system or tactics.  

It's going to be painful and hard to watch, and as much as I wish he'd fuck off right now it does us no favours to turn on him at the Southampton game.

Do I think some will? Yes, but I won't be one of them. We just need to roll with things for a bit and get through it. But anyone hoping for a decent season is kidding themselves. If we finish above 12th it'll be a good season (unless we miraculously make some quality signings before the window closes).

I'm feeling pretty pessimistic about this season (we've signed one player as a starter than should, at best, be a squad player, one punt in Gray and a back up goalkeeper), but we've just got to wait and see.

I am also very drunk.

Carlo was going to be given three seasons to get things right by most fans.

Rafa…. You get three matches.

Interested to know: are people blaming Rafa for not getting signings in, or are we blaming the club?

If we fee it’s the club, will these same people be blaming Rafa and asking for his head? 

We’ve gotten so used to suffering that reading through these threads feels suicidal at times. A lot of us are really down on the club at the moment. There are a few positives that we can cling to at the moment guys, and we still have time to bring a few more bodies in. This is still Everton! 

15 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

For most of my life we have played in a shed and been bottom half. At least they are fixing one of the two. 😂

I absolutely adore the shed though. 

9 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

I would hope that the thinking Evertonians give our new manager a chance. He's inherited a pretty shit scene to work with. Let's see what happens when the season has kicked off and the transfer window is closed.

I actually feel a bit sorry for Rafa if this is all we are going to give him.

Of all the manager post Martinez it’s looking like he’s been given the least support. 

51 minutes ago, Btay said:

I actually feel a bit sorry for Rafa if this is all we are going to give him.

Of all the manager post Martinez it’s looking like he’s been given the least support. 

And he's the one that'll be given the least amount of leeway by fans. The whole situation makes no sense and, for me, shows Moshiri hasn't got a scooby doo what he's doing.

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

And he's the one that'll be given the least amount of leeway by fans. The whole situation makes no sense and, for me, shows Moshiri hasn't got a scooby doo what he's doing.

Yep. I also believe Rafa has put the most on the line with reputation.

Maybe they new they would be skint this season and they know the fans would turn on Rafa before them…?

Maybe during the fifty interviews he had with the club they told him there wouldn’t be much money to spend and he reiterated to them how much of a great coach and teacher he is and would improve the players we already have. Maybe. 

I doubt they would have promised plenty to spend and then not follow through.