IGNORED

Rafael Benitez

4 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Love the calm, measured way he deals with press conferences. First question today was asking about Ronaldo transfer. Response was he isn't his player so nothing to discuss. Also his answer to transfer speculation is not to comment. Brilliant!

We have given him absolutely nothing to work with as well. Credit to him.

21 hours ago, Btay said:

We have given him absolutely nothing to work with as well. Credit to him.

Yes, fully agree. I was not in the sign Rafa camp bit to be fair I'm starting to think he is absolutely the person we need at the moment.

I know it's only 3 games in....but seriously, I have some positivity coming back.

10 hours ago, Btay said:

Said before, he has taken the biggest risk of all our previous managers and we’ve given him the least. I respect him, I really do. The sheer irony that this man could be the manager we’ve needed after the previous is pretenders is about as Everton as it gets.

Not trying to say I told you so but I’ve advocated him for years, but if a section of supporters had got there way we wouldn’t have him now because he managed the shite and called us small, not saying there’s anything wrong with having passion for your club but sometimes you can’t let your heart rule your head. 

A lot more respect for him after the window, for the simple reason that he must've known he was going to get no support in this window on top of knowing fans will berate him at any chance. 

A top half finish and a decent cup run to start the ball rolling, I don't think we're talking about Europe again until we're in the new stadium and get massive new sponsorship deals. 

Pleased we have got him under these circumstances.  

I was told by someone in the know that Ancellotti quite frankly was not interested in the final few months of last season ...... It's Everton that.  

Whilst loads of fans were bemoaning us getting in an ex Liverpool manager renowned for his hard work and diligence who really wanted to manage us ..... We had a nice guy glamour manager on £250k a week who literally did not give a stuff.

Its all about a culture shift and it's not gonna be pretty.  

Benitez has been very professional in everything he has done. He has a plan of how he wants us to play and the players are buting into it.

He has not bitched about the lack of funds for this window, just worked with Brands to get the best available players and blended them into the team.

Very impressed so far, I expect I will be more impressed at the end of the season. Loking forward to seeing what he and Brands can do with some real money in the transfer kitty.

Just have to echo all the sentiment above. Came in to a job that was hostile from the off, has said and done everything right, been given next to nothing for transfer funds, and has us into the next round of the league cup and 7 points from 9.

Early days, of course, but I'm going to back him with full support, because I genuinely feel he can do the job better than anyone we've had since Moyes.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

A lot more respect for him after the window, for the simple reason that he must've known he was going to get no support in this window on top of knowing fans will berate him at any chance. 

A top half finish and a decent cup run to start the ball rolling, I don't think we're talking about Europe again until we're in the new stadium and get massive new sponsorship deals. 

I disagree. Clearly, he refuses to embrace James as a member of the team and probably agreed that he could spend once James' salary was no longer a burden. He's probably ticked off right now, and it will be interesting to see how he responds. If he has any sense, he'll take advantage of James' considerable talent.

What worries me is the BBC's commentary this morning. If Benitez fails to succeed this year, it won't be his fault but, instead, the lack of Everton spending. We shouldn't be giving anyone a ready-made excuse. If Benitez fails, it will because of his lack of management ability, not a result of Everton's lack of spending.

6 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Also, Benitez has one of the easiest set of early fixtures of any recent manager. It's way too soon to judge his abilities. Let's see whether we beat Liverpool and Spurs again this season and how well we do against MC, MU, and Chelsea. That's the real test.

You’re right we’ve had an easy schedule but I’m more concerned with beating the teams we are supposed to beat than how we do against Champion’s league sides. We did fantastically well against the top of the league last season and finished 10th.

10 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I disagree. Clearly, he refuses to embrace James as a member of the team and probably agreed that he could spend once James' salary was no longer a burden. He's probably ticked off right now, and it will be interesting to see how he responds. If he has any sense, he'll take advantage of James' considerable talent.

What worries me is the BBC's commentary this morning. If Benitez fails to succeed this year, it won't be his fault but, instead, the lack of Everton spending. We shouldn't be giving anyone a ready-made excuse. If Benitez fails, it will because of his lack of management ability, not a result of Everton's lack of spending.

For sure, it shouldn't be a built-in excuse. But have we had a manager in recent memory come in who has had so many cards stacked against him so early on in his tenure?

I too am curious to see how he handles the James situation, since that could end up being a focal point of how this season progresses.

But considering he received death threats and had fuck-all to spend in the window right at the start of his time here, he does deserve a little leeway.

10 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Also, Benitez has one of the easiest set of early fixtures of any recent manager. It's way too soon to judge his abilities. Let's see whether we beat Liverpool and Spurs again this season and how well we do against MC, MU, and Chelsea. That's the real test.

Spot on, people getting all excited we have played no one, Carlo had us top of the league.  Let’s wait till after the holidays and see where we are at

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Or he didn't involve him expecting him to be sold. Lots of ifs buts and maybes, I'm just trying to be positive in quite a bleak period for the club mate. 

5 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Let's see whether we beat Liverpool and Spurs again this season and how well we do against MC, MU, and Chelsea. That's the real test.

You can’t compare last season with this one, the team’s you have mentioned have spent big we haven’t, imo if we get anything from these teams it will be a far bigger achievement than last season no matter who the manager is. 

5 hours ago, Hafnia said:

How?  If other teams have strengthened which they arguably have then it's not the same.   

Man United alone have bought in Sancho, Ronaldo, Varanne...... Nearly a 25% change in their starting 11.  

its literally the same team carlo had, james allan doucoure dcl richarlison etc all still here no one left.  

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

its literally the same team carlo had, james allan doucoure dcl richarlison etc all still here no one left.  

Yes....... We know this but how are you going to apply a fair comparison when the top teams have improved immeasurably?

Are you saying the man United team this year isn't better than last year's?  Cos I'm saying right now that they are ...

22 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Mark you're not getting it 😂 Sure our team is the same, but arguably every team around us improved.

Every team around us spent more money, that's for sure. It remains to be seen whether they improved. After all, we spent more than most in some recent seasons but didn't improve.