IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

Well, so much for Benetez being announced on Wednesday night or Thursday night.

Good, nobody wants him here, and you have to wonder if he would want to come given the animosity there is to him here. He and the board cant be unaware of the hostility there would be among half the fanbase to his appointment.

So back to square 1, nobody knows, not the ITK's, the pundits, or the well informed.

Good job Everton as we are clearly taking our time and not letting anyone know. I actually respect that quite a bit.

Personally the longer this goes on the more I think it will be Bobby, who I will welcome back here, we are a different club and he is a different manager. He still feels an affection and affinity for us and we, well allot of us want that first glorious year of his management back.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

The first glorious year of his Management was with Moyseys team. It got progressively worse from then on.

Just don't get that argument whatsoever, it's a proper shite point of view. It's a bit like saying that I could do well with Manchester City for a season because it's Guardiola's team. 

Regardless of how shit Martinez went, you can't be so dismissive about his first season by pointing to the fact that it was somehow still Moyes' team.

That first year was something to behold nobody for a long time before him or after him has come close to what we witnessed, the game we beat Arsenal 4-0 was possibly the best I’ve seen an Everton team play in my life time, I get goose bumps thinking about it still. Could he replicate that season again I very much doubt it would I like to see him have that opportunity, why not he wouldn’t be any worse than some of the managers in the picture.  

Seeing as there have been a couple of negative banners put up at Goodison tonight about Benitez the board really would be wise to rethink him (if he really is in the running).

On Martinez, I also remember another 4-0 under him. Getting absolutely twatted by the shite. That was horrific. I’d also be pretty surprised at us going back for him as when we sacked him the club and him had to go to a tribunal because we didn’t want to pay his contract up (we stupidly gave him a new 5 year contract after only one season) and he ended up winning and getting the £10million. So I’d expect there to be a bit of animosity.

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

Seeing as there have been a couple of negative banners put up at Goodison tonight about Benitez the board really would be wise to rethink him (if he really is in the running).

On Martinez, I also remember another 4-0 under him. Getting absolutely twatted by the shite. That was horrific. I’d also be pretty surprised at us going back for him as when we sacked him the club and him had to go to a tribunal because we didn’t want to pay his contract up (we stupidly gave him a new 5 year contract after only one season) and he ended up winning and getting the £10million. So I’d expect there to be a bit of animosity.

From quotes he has made about us recently I dont think so from his side, and Bill was always a fan of his.

He is a better manager now.

On 16/06/2021 at 15:07, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I absolutely despised him when he was the manager over the park but I’m actually quite open to it . None of the names linked got me excited and I had real worries about Nuno

I agree he needs to get off to a flyer because it will soon turn toxic if we lose a few but he is a proven manager with a very impressive CV, he has a wealth of experience at home and abroad and has won trophies all over Europe ,people are saying he has done nothing for years but I actually thought he did a good job at Newcastle, all the Geordies I know loved him and were gutted when he left and to a man all laid the blame for that at the owners door not Rafa’s

If he gets the job I will back him 

He really hasn't. He's not that good a manager at all.

3 hours ago, London Blue said:

From quotes he has made about us recently I dont think so from his side, and Bill was always a fan of his.

Everyone knows I'm a big fan of Roberto, and his swash-buckling style of play can be very exciting. His issue, in the end, was a poor defensive record and unwillingness to change his approach to defense. Also, of course, he managed at a time when our transfer budget for comparatively miniscule compared to today's - yet he still brought in Lukaku and Barry,

The big question is whether he's learned enough since then and become willing to change. Belgium's win today over Denmark, I think, provides the answer. He made exactly the right tactical decisions, and his team deservedly won - but poor defensive passes led both to Denmark's goal and to a couple of other clear chances for Denmark. I suspect we'd see the same if he were to return to Everton: very exciting games but with defensive lapses. Would an improved transfer budget make a difference? I suspect it would make us even more exciting to watch but it wouldn't fix the defensive issue. The only way to do that would be to have a top-notch defensive coach and for Roberto to trust him.

He would get my vote, for sure, especially if Belgium do really well in the Euros. Indeed, if he's our choice, don't expect an announcement until the Euros are over. He's passionate as a manager, that's for sure.

7 hours ago, London Blue said:

Personally the longer this goes on the more I think it will be Bobby, who I will welcome back here, we are a different club and he is a different manager. He still feels an affection and affinity for us and we, well allot of us want that first glorious year of his management back.

Last night he brought a defender on to help see out the win. I couldn’t believe it to be honest. Part of me thinks he’ll never change and part of me thinks if he would I’d have him back in a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

Thing with Roberto is how does he work with brands?  He did it all last time, why would he want brands around?  Unless brands moved to a different position or just on the board or something I can’t see it happening.  

Working with a director of football is the norm in most of Europes top leagues and now most of the premier league teams. Not many managers will be working without one. It won’t be an issue for anyone who wants to be a manager at a decent club. 

7 hours ago, Bill said:

The first glorious year of his Management was with Moyseys team. It got progressively worse from then on.

By that logic (and I agree in part), maybe if Brands is selecting the players, Martinez could do a job coaching them and playing to a system.

It was awful when he left and some of the performances were horrific but each season saw us very nearly achieve something:

Season 1 - excellent but just missed out on top 4 - how? I don’t know!

Season 2 - that European run should have gone all the way - ultimately Martinez’s poor decisions didn’t help but weren’t we down to the bare bones?

Season 3 - FA Cup and League Cup semis… we should have beaten Man U for a final against Palace.

I was sick of him by the end of his time but he wasn’t far off doing something no other Everton manager has done since Royle and that first season is the best performing Everton/ easiest on the eye I’ve seen since 95/96 Kanchelskis’ first season under Royle.

I would be willing to forgive with Martinez and would definitely give him a chance with Brands’ support.

I do feel for the board ( or Moshiri) in having to make a decision, just by the reactions of us here they will be damned if they do and damned if they don’t. Some will look for the positives and some will look for the negatives, for the supporters it is an emotional event where we let our hearts 💙 rule our heads in many ways, for the club it’s got to be a business decision, unless of course you are Bill who’s a huge fan then it’s Moyes for emotional reasons mainly, and in business you can’t dwell on the negatives if you thought every decision you were about to make had a negative you wouldn’t be able to move your business forward, they have to find a manager with the most positives and not dwell on the negatives, the he said this and he done that doesn’t matter in business if he’s the right candidate and has the attributes to move your business on what was said or done in the past was then and not now. So if the decision is Benitez or Martinez and you have faith in Moshiri and Brand’s like nearly all of you do then you need to embrace it and put your vendettas behind you, and start maybe letting your heads rule your blue hearts 💙 now and then. 
For me a slightly different scenario as I have very little faith in Brand’s or Moshiri ever getting this right, but I will back the next manager whether over the moon with them or not. 

1 hour ago, c1982 said:

By that logic (and I agree in part), maybe if Brands is selecting the players, Martinez could do a job coaching them and playing to a system.

It was awful when he left and some of the performances were horrific but each season saw us very nearly achieve something:

Season 1 - excellent but just missed out on top 4 - how? I don’t know!

Season 2 - that European run should have gone all the way - ultimately Martinez’s poor decisions didn’t help but weren’t we down to the bare bones?

Season 3 - FA Cup and League Cup semis… we should have beaten Man U for a final against Palace.

I was sick of him by the end of his time but he wasn’t far off doing something no other Everton manager has done since Royle and that first season is the best performing Everton/ easiest on the eye I’ve seen since 95/96 Kanchelskis’ first season under Royle.

I would be willing to forgive with Martinez and would definitely give him a chance with Brands’ support.

Hiya Pete, your quoting the euros which he got on the back of Moyseys team, then cup semi finals but you are forgetting his league positions,  I think it was 11th and 14th and playing shite, which is the reason he got the sack.

Pete mentioned Lukaku and Barry as good signings by Martinez,  try a few more and see how good  these were ........… Lukaku. Barry. Deulofeu. Sambou. Henen. Hunt. Foulds. Eto'o. Robles. Cleverley. Holgate. McCarthy. Besic. Lennon. Galloway. Funes Mori. Niasse. McGeady. Kone. Alcaraz. Tarashaj. Stanek. Leandro. Byrne.

You can see how we went backwards in two seasons.

7 hours ago, London Blue said:

Well Bill isn't the owner and is just a figurehead (hahaha of course he is!). He is the dick head that gave him that 5 year contract that then cost Moshiri £10 million though. He does love to waste other people's money so maybe you're right and we will bring him back based on Bill's wishes.

Edit - and as crazy as bringing Martinez back would be I'd still be more on board with that than bringing in Benitez. That's how terrible our managerial options are at this point.

Fucks sake.

4 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Thing with Roberto is how does he work with brands?  He did it all last time, why would he want brands around?  Unless brands moved to a different position or just on the board or something I can’t see it happening.  

I think it would suit Martinez so he can concentrate on the tactical side of the game. I also think He and Brands would have similar ideals over the players they want. 

At the moment for me I want Gaiter or Martinez/Conte

No way do i want tipi tapi Martinez, after the first year he bored me to death, and left here with 10 mil in his back pocket.

The thing about history is you learn from it.

He has been in charge of the best side in the world and won fuck all, because he does not believe in defending.

He did not even make the world cup final, with that team.

A big NO from me.