IGNORED

Next Manager

MC11

Sorry for the super long post but I don't think everyone would have the access to the article as it's a paid service.

The full transcript of Vitor Pereira's interview with Sky Sports News

How did this opportunity come about for you?

A few years ago, when I finished my work in Porto, I was introduced to Bill Kenwright, since that time we have kept a good relationship.

In this moment, the club, the board, have asked me to come for a meeting.

Were you interviewed more than once?

I have had a few interviews, not just one, more than one, with different people from the club.

We discussed about everything, I discussed with different people in the club, on the board, I gave them my points of view on what I think about the club, about the team.

(I spoke with) Moshiri and Bill Kenwright and other people in the club.

What would you change as manager?

A few years ago, I remember Everton as a time with Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Howard. I remember Goodison Park as a fortress. And this is what is instilled in me as a club. This is a historical club. The challenge for me is to approach again, the club to the fans, to get again this kind of spirit, this fire on the pitch, what I saw a few years ago.

I’m not the manager, but I think the first decision as the manager in the club is to bring again the organisation, the way to press, the pressing game, the intense game that I saw a few years ago at the club, in Goodison Park.

For me, to watch a match in Goodison Park was something that inspired me. This is the spirit, to see the passion of the supporters again, to see the intensity, to make the feeling in the other teams that OK, Goodison Park is a fortress and it’s very difficult to play there. This is the speed and the way to play that I want to bring again to the club, or a manager has to bring to the club.

How did the club receive your interview?

I think they (the club) were enthusiastic (in) what I proposed. An intense game, a pressing game, a game with possession, and we need to give confidence again to these players, this team, the fans. And this is what I proposed to them. What I felt in the meetings, they were very positive with the interviews.

What comes next?

They have other candidates. This is a time for decisions. 

Have the club told you its not you?

No (the club have not said no). Just to wait for the decision, to be calm, they are grateful for the interviews.

What did you discuss in the interviews?

What we talk in interviews is something we keep with us. But what I can say to you is the feedback from the interviews is good feedback.

What about the criticism from fans?

In my opinion, some of the critics are not for me. Because they don’t know me very well, they don’t know my work, they don’t know me as a person, they don’t know my CV. I work in a lot of countries, several clubs, several titles. Before you work with a person, you cannot judge.

But I understand the feeling of the supporters because in the last year, they have not had good results and it is normal to not be happy. But I came here with the intention to bring good football for the fans, this is my target.

Have you seen this kind of thing before?

This is the first time in my career that I see this kind of things. I never had in my career this kind of comment about me. My CV speaks for itself. I think these critics are not directed to me. It’s something that’s ok, it’s the environment now. 

The supporters have this passion, and I think this passion is the power of this club. I remember very well when I watched the game of Everton a few years ago, the supporters won the game.

In this moment, what the manager should do is bring again the positive passion from the supporters. I don’t think these are personal attacks.

What about your past record — sacked at Fenerbahce after five months, relegated from 2 Bundesliga with 1860 Munich?

In the career, if you look at the managers, even the top managers in the world, we have titles. Eight titles in different countries is not easy, it’s not for everybody. Different countries, teaching young players with big experience. I start my career in Porto, eight years in Porto is important.

The players and coaches in Porto form a top club. But we cannot have a career with everything positive. In Munich, was a very difficult situation, money situation. They didn’t (spend) money, and they were relegated for this. It’s difficult to deal with this kind of situation.

You must look how many titles, in different countries, that I got.

What I want to tell you is all of my career, I worked under pressure. I worked at clubs that cannot draw one game. This is the pressure, this is the way. I live with the pressure.

Do you still want the job?

Yes of course, yes of course (I still want the job). I don’t have doubt. I’m not waiting, I did my work as a professional and now the decision is the club’s.

I came from a meeting, I did my work, and now the decisions is not controlled by me.

Would you like a decision soon, with the transfer deadline very close?

I cannot speak as the manager because I’m not the manager.

Of course (I’d rather have some time to make transfers) but you must understand I’m not the manager of the club.

What would you want to say to Everton?

All my career, I built my career with passion, with organisation, with competence, and this is what I can offer to the club. The club’s that I’ve worked at before I have given 100 per cent. 

Football is 24 hours for me, this is my life. Passion and organisation and the way I’ve built my career, this is what I can offer the fans and the club. Passion and organisation, this is what I can offer with my work.

I will move forward with my life, if they want me, they must call me.

Do you think you will be the next Everton manager?

This is something that I cannot control.

I spoke about some players I keep in my mind, Jagielka, Baines, Coleman, Howard, fantastic players at the club. I remember a time when Goodison Park was a fortress for other teams

26 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Did he bother to look back at fans' discontent and protest when Benitez was in the frame and then appointed? Does he know how that panned out? 🙄

All he seems to remember about Everton is Jagielka, Baines, Coleman and Howard.

I'm not completely convinced he knows Coleman is still playing. I doubt even more that he knows Baines is on the coaching staff. 

Can I ask what the big no no is about Pierra? I've seem his name over the years but not overly familiar with him.

Although this interview stuff is weird shit. Didn't we do something similar with Benitez? Some sort of PR stunt? 

And on Lampard. I wouldn't mind him. I thought he did well with Chelsea when they were on a transfer ban and he had to use a lot of youth. It seemed to go downhill when the ban was lifted and they started buying players, which may not have all been Lampards wants such is their set up.

As for a section of fans behaviours, the things that are happening recently doesn't float my boat. At the same time, the clubs dialogue with fans is shite so....🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Newty82 said:

Can I ask what the big no no is about Pierra? I've seem his name over the years but not overly familiar with him.

Although this interview stuff is weird shit. Didn't we do something similar with Benitez? Some sort of PR stunt? 

And on Lampard. I wouldn't mind him. I thought he did well with Chelsea when they were on a transfer ban and he had to use a lot of youth. It seemed to go downhill when the ban was lifted and they started buying players, which may not have all been Lampards wants such is their set up.

As for a section of fans behaviours, the things that are happening recently doesn't float my boat. At the same time, the clubs dialogue with fans is shite so....🤷‍♂️

Have a look at his cv the past 10 years. Awful. 

I’m in the mind of….. what’s the big deal? Why are we so upset about this? Saw it many times from managers, players and the likes. Just standard SSN for me.

As for the manager himself, don’t know enough about him to know why people are so disgusted with the idea of him managing us haha! 

But we are Everton I suppose.

I am now warming to the idea of Frank Lampard.

We all know what a great player he was, and he did work very hard for what he achieved. As probably most have been doing, I have being having a dig around on him and came across this interesting article. Lots of people pick up on his attitude, hard work in training and leadership qualities.

https://www.footiecentral.com/20200729/best-quotes-on-frank-lampard/

If one thing positive has come from having Pereira pushed on to us is that is seems to have galvansied fans support for Lampard as the alternative - one poll has 95% for Lampard over Pereira. 

This reeks of a media stunt. 

Maybe they are trying to test the waters?

Still it's a bit weird, but then again we live in wierd times. On the other hand it's refreshing to hear what a potential manager has to say about the process and what he feels his vision and intention for the job is.

I'm still not convinced that Lampard is the man for the job - seems like a lesser of all evils situation. Maybe he can get on SSN and change my mind?

Ronney - heart yes, head no.

Other candidates, and names mentioned, I probably don't know enough about them.

However, there still seems to be an elephant in the room...what about a Director of Football?

If that's the structure we're after, doesn't it make sense to get one of them on first?

If we don't organise the structure top-down then come summertime, when we presumably do hire a DoF, won't we still be in the same mess when the manager and DoF have different ideas about how the team should develop?

12 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I am now warming to the idea of Frank Lampard.

We all know what a great player he was, and he did work very hard for what he achieved. As probably most have been doing, I have being having a dig around on him and came across this interesting article. Lots of people pick up on his attitude, hard work in training and leadership qualities.

https://www.footiecentral.com/20200729/best-quotes-on-frank-lampard/

If one thing positive has come from having Pereira pushed on to us is that is seems to have galvansied fans support for Lampard as the alternative - one poll has 95% for Lampard over Pereira. 

I bookmarked this one to read yesterday too 

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/frank-lampard-chelsea-derby-coach/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=coachwatch&utm_campaign=FrankLampard

Maybe this was all a master stroke to get the fans behind Lampard 😂

I didn't really see a lot of Lampard at Derby but I did at Chelsea, especially in the second season. I'm just not entirely sure what went on there. 

I do think the new signings were a bit much for him and how he wanted to play and I imagine he felt a lot of pressure to get them in the side and doing well. Lets face it Werner and Havertz in particular are mainly still on the fringes and Ziyech is only just getting game time. 

In that second season his team lacked attacking width. You had too many attacking players all wanting to be within the width of the 18 yard box and its so easy to defend against that in the premier league despite quality players. The best teams create width high up the pitch regularly to stretch the defence and then move the ball from side-to-side. 

I'm also not convinced by the pressing numbers. At both Derby and Chelsea I think he probably had an above average unit in midfield, especially at Chelsea with Kante, Kovacic and Jorgino. I dont remember the press being that good in the second season, albeit it was certainly better than we have seen from any other manager recently, early Carlo aside. 

I think he is a decent manager and he will make us a better team but I'm not just not sure how far he would take us in the longer term. 

22 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I didn't really see a lot of Lampard at Derby but I did at Chelsea, especially in the second season. I'm just not entirely sure what went on there. 

I do think the new signings were a bit much for him and how he wanted to play and I imagine he felt a lot of pressure to get them in the side and doing well. Lets face it Werner and Havertz in particular are mainly still on the fringes and Ziyech is only just getting game time. 

In that second season his team lacked attacking width. You had too many attacking players all wanting to be within the width of the 18 yard box and its so easy to defend against that in the premier league despite quality players. The best teams create width high up the pitch regularly to stretch the defence and then move the ball from side-to-side. 

I'm also not convinced by the pressing numbers. At both Derby and Chelsea I think he probably had an above average unit in midfield, especially at Chelsea with Kante, Kovacic and Jorgino. I dont remember the press being that good in the second season, albeit it was certainly better than we have seen from any other manager recently, early Carlo aside. 

I think he is a decent manager and he will make us a better team but I'm not just not sure how far he would take us in the longer term. 

As long as he takes us away from the relegation zone that will do me. We can look at what we need next once we get there and being a better position than we are now will mean better quality candidates.

Just now, RPG said:

Irrespective of Lampard's ability or otherwise as a manager, some managers appear as a natural fit for Everton, some don't and some (most) are somewhere in between. I just don't see Lampard as an Everton type of manager in any way, shape or form. I would rather nail the colours to the mast with Dunc and, if we go down, at least know that we will go down fighting. I actually think that we will just, and only just, survive with Dunc and that he should get the job to the end of the season. That gives time to carry out the review, decide if we want a DoF and, if so, recruit one before looking for a new manager.

Ferguson doesn't want it, put it out of your mind.

My only fear with Lampard is he likes to play possesion based football with a high press. Kind of the opposite to what has come before and what the players are used to.  I dont think we have the players that could flip from counter attacking to high press and not a great time to dabble in style of play.  

Installing some energy, fight and passion in to the players (and the fans) is what is needed this next few months, until we are safe. (Along with solid defending of set peices). 

If incoming manager can do this we should be OK.