IGNORED

Richarlison

• 4 weeks later...

Let me start with saying, he clearly is one of the most important players we have, as his three match ban showed us. His work rate is outstanding (I could do with less of the dramatic flopping) and he's got a bite to him that is much needed in the side. 

However, I was just looking at the MOTM thread, and he only has 7 votes all season. For perspective, only 3 players have less votes than him, and Nkounkou has 17 more votes than him. Why do we think that is?

Is it because he does the dirty work of running and tracking back? As Wiggy mentioned above, his finishing has been pretty poor recently (his goal against Leicester was more of a keeper error) and he seems to be lacking that final pass as of late. 

Is this a slight worry or just the natural ebb and flow of a season, where he'll eventually put it all together to be the player we know he can be?

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Let me start with saying, he clearly is one of the most important players we have, as his three match ban showed us. His work rate is outstanding (I could do with less of the dramatic flopping) and he's got a bite to him that is much needed in the side. 

However, I was just looking at the MOTM thread, and he only has 7 votes all season. For perspective, only 3 players have less votes than him, and Nkounkou has 17 more votes than him. Why do we think that is?

Is it because he does the dirty work of running and tracking back? As Wiggy mentioned above, his finishing has been pretty poor recently (his goal against Leicester was more of a keeper error) and he seems to be lacking that final pass as of late. 

Is this a slight worry or just the natural ebb and flow of a season, where he'll eventually put it all together to be the player we know he can be?

Expectations of him are much higher than others, so unless he’s doing something sublime he’s not getting noticed or worse

As @Hafnia has said before (not trying to steal the credit here) Richarlison is our Firmino.  Rarely gets the MOTD highlights, but he is the reason everyone else is doing well.  He is selfless, his work rate and pressing, dragging defenders with his runs, and aerial ability make him a threat which gives other the opportunity to have a mismatch and score.

4 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I think it’s more that each match, a few players have played above their usual standard and thus get the votes. 
Where Richarlison is working his ass off, but not having things break his way at the moment. 

I can see him having a run of goals soon.

I'm not sure he has been THAT good this season. He has still been very good at times but when he has been, someone has been better.

I don’t think its enough that he gets MOTM votes for being a pain in the arse but at the same time, it does enough to stop his bad games being really bad games.

I also think its fair to say he should have at least a couple more goals to his name this season. 

9 hours ago, RuffRob said:

what every manager loves is consistency - and Richarlison consistently puts in a quality shift for the team - both offensively and defensively. Some games will always be better than others depending on who we play and how we set up. He definitely misses having a attacking full back on the left, so we have automatically been a little toothless as an attacking force this past few games. I would say in most game he is probable most peoples top 3 or 4 performers week in week out.

Exactly, he doesn’t often have a 5/10, usually averaging 6 - 7 on his average days.

He does a lot of grafting work that goes unnoticed  a lot. 

On 21/12/2020 at 00:25, RuffRob said:

what every manager loves is consistency - and Richarlison consistently puts in a quality shift for the team - both offensively and defensively. Some games will always be better than others depending on who we play and how we set up. He definitely misses having a attacking full back on the left, so we have automatically been a little toothless as an attacking force this past few games. I would say in most game he is probable most peoples top 3 or 4 performers week in week out.

I don't think you can call Richarlison consistent in anything, even effort.

There are times when he will run through brick walls and there are other times when he is sulking like a teenage girl. Whilst they might be 10 minutes apart during the game, you can at least guarantee that at some point in the game, he will get stuck in.

He is definitely not consistent on the ball either. He isn't Iwobi level inconsistent but he has moments when he is and then others when he looks like a world beater.

Like Shukes says, he manages to hit plenty of 6's or 7's after the 90 minutes but during the game itself it is more often than not a bit of a roller-coaster ride!

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Awful tonight, somethings not right, I wonder if there’s a move lined up for January and he is keeping himself out of the way to avoid injury

Not in January.... No chance unless its a mega deal involving other players coming this way. 

Very rare you see him like that. 

11 hours ago, London Blue said:

He is out of form, low on confidence and missing the crowd I think more than most other players. He will be back, he just needs some time. He is such a dangerous  and effective player for us and has given us so much, we can give him the time he needs.

A agree and hope your right, but he looks totally disinterested at the moment, doesn’t try to take on the full back down the line, just runs into blind alleys, and didn’t track back as much last night as he usually does.

I think he has just lost his form and confidence following quite a few missed games. It all makes his sending off against Liverpool even more frustrating. 

It would also appear that these dips are a part of his game. He did it for Watford, he has done it for us at some stage each season too. 

• 4 weeks later...

I know we all talk about the lack of depth up top behind Dom, but here is where a lack of quality wingers hurts us. Richarlison has looked completely out of sorts for weeks and if I were Carlo and had someone half decent to fill his place, I'd bench Richy against Leeds. Unfortunately it would be Gordon coming in for him, and that's just not an option. 

No matter how shit Richy is, he's guaranteed a starting spot. 

6 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I know we all talk about the lack of depth up top behind Dom, but here is where a lack of quality wingers hurts us. Richarlison has looked completely out of sorts for weeks and if I were Carlo and had someone half decent to fill his place, I'd bench Richy against Leeds. Unfortunately it would be Gordon coming in for him, and that's just not an option. 

No matter how shit Richy is, he's guaranteed a starting spot. 

Don't be silly, the squad is absolutely fine.

1 minute ago, c1982 said:

We’re desperate for a Harvey Barnes type player - fearless and direct - someone who will actually run at defenders. If this happens, I’d like to see Richarlison get more opportunities as a number 9. We’d have to be less direct but I don’t think taking DCL out for the odd game would be a bad thing.

You mean an actual winger then? That would be lovely.