IGNORED

Next Everton manager: the wisdom of TT.

Your choice of Everton manager  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you prefer to be Everton's next manager? Please nominate your top five choices.

• Rafael Benitez
    • Marcelo Bielsa
    • Sergio Conceicao
    • Antonio Conte
    • Lucien Favre
    • Duncan Ferguson
    • Paulo Fonseca
    • Christopher Galtier
    • Rudi Garcia
    • Eddie Howe
    • Frank Lampard
    • Roberto Martinez
    • David Moyes
    • Scott Parker
    • Andrea Pirlo
    • Graham Potter
    • Ralph Rangnick
    • Claudio Ranieri
    • Nuno Espirito Santo
    • Maurizio Sarri

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm not a fan of all the tribalism from some Everton fans. Sheedy and Beardsley played for Liverpool before heading over to us. No reason that Rafa can't be a success here. If he's given the job, give him a chance like any other manager. He has a proven track record in the PL; he'll know how to handle the big time Charlies; he has experience abroad. Someone mooted the idea of Ferguson and Cahill as assistant managers. I like the idea of that. I'll support them all the way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57513064

Former Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has emerged as a frontrunner to become Everton's next manager - and the reaction from both sets of fans has been… mixed.

Everton have been seeking a new boss since Carlo Ancelotti left to return to Real Madrid, and former Wolves manager Nuno Espirito Santo was reported to be one of the early favourites.

But Benitez is now in pole position - and has had three rounds of talks with the club.

With a string of European and domestic honours - including the Champions League, Europa League, La Liga (twice), FA Cup and Club World Cup - his managerial pedigree is strong.

He even lives on Merseyside, so the commute would be a short one.

But there's a catch - he just so happens to be one of the most successful and fondly regarded former managers of Everton's biggest rivals - winning the Champions League and FA Cup during a six-year spell as Liverpool boss.

And during that stint - in 2007 - he referred to Everton as a "small club".

Tweet from Watch LFC.

He has since clarified he "made a mistake" and intended to say they were a "small team".

And this fan compared it (favourably) to Wayne Rooney leaving for Manchester United before returning late in his career:

Tweet from Anthony Scotland about Rafael Benitez and Wayne Rooney

But despite Benitez's credentials - and his clarification - some Toffees fans can't stomach the thought of a former Liverpool manager in charge of their team.

One seasoned journalist said he would be done with the club if Benitez joined:

This fan group won't welcome him either:

Everton End tweet saying Benitez would be "worst move in club's recent history"

They're not alone:

Unhappy tweet from Adam about Rafael Benitez joining Everton. Give it to big Dunc instead?

Some just don't really rate his credentials:

Tweet from Matt Jones, who says Benitez has been a poor manager for the majority of the last 11 years.

Since winning the Italian Super Cup with Napoli in 2014, Benitez has had three jobs - he returned to Real Madrid for a short period before taking over at Newcastle United. After his contract there expired, he jetted off to China to manage Chinese Super League team Dalian Professional.

The Everton job would certainly be closer to home for Benitez, who lives in the Wirral.

But will they go ahead, despite the objections?

Well not every Toffee is against the idea:

Tweet from Andy T, who thinks Benitez would be a good appointment.

Another 'Rafa' thinks Everton, who finished 10th last season, need to try a new approach if they are to get into the European places:

And what about the red half of the city? How do Liverpool fans feel? They've already weathered the shock of Benitez joining Chelsea in 2012.

Still, it's a lot to take in for some:

For others, it's too far:

Tweet from Liverpool fan Benjamin Webster, who would be against Benitez joining Everton.

This writer has given his blessing:

And others agree the Spaniard's legacy is untouchable:

Tweet from Matty Boyes about Benitez's contribution to the Hillsborough Family Support Group. There is still a lot of love for Benitez amongst Liverpool supporters.

I thought Carlo was primed to start bringing some success and then he leaves in a split second. At this point I'm not entirely sure what type of manager we need. I can't help but feel it isn't Rafa though. 

I might have some bias obviously. 

I'm honestly pretty jaded by the club right now. If Moshiri isn't playing favorites then the others on the boards are throwing darts at random photos of managers in order to pick one. 

Whether it's Stephen Gerrard, Rapha or Paul Chuckle!!!

If Everton are playing with intensity, desire with players going on the pitch like they give a fuck, i would take any of the above!!

Any manager can surly improve the stoned state, to which we saw our players performing like last season.

If it's Rapha then I'm on board!!! 

13 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

If Everton are playing with intensity, desire with players going on the pitch like they give a fuck, i would take any of the above!!

Any manager can surly improve the stoned state, to which we saw our players performing like last season.

Ridiculous post………..

Barry Chuckle would be far better. 

49 minutes ago, milesey05 said:

Benitez's style has never been like that. It's basically boring shite.

It came out a week ago that there had been 40 applications for the Job, I imagine every tom dick and harry is in there somewhere, as well as Eddie and Rafa.  Whoever it is that gets the job is going to be on a hiding to nothing, so we need a strong man not a kid who's still wet behind the ears.

Harry Rednap, George Graham,  Mourinho, Steve Bruce, Brian Clough,  just some of the names who have managed both local rival Clubs,  And there's a lot more.

I would be quite happy to get Rafa ahead of some of the names we've been linked with, just get it done.

3 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

On vacation in the woods camping, finally find a spot with some internet and pop on to see if we have a new manager yet.  Seeing Rafa linked heavily and remembers Everton is still a shit show, back to the woods….

Always in the woods you, are you actually bigfoot?

I’m hoping we get a decision soon if just to stop this post taking up so much of my valuable time😉 I understand the club will say there’s no rush with players on international duty or holiday, but the suspense is killing me and some of the names mentioned are scary as fuck. 

11 hours ago, c1982 said:

Hang on…

Imagine this nutter in the dug-out - I for one would embrace it!

39 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

The state of Spurs.  No idea on Gattuso myself.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/17/tottenham-move-for-paulo-fonseca-breaks-down-in-latest-manager-blow