IGNORED

Andros Townsend

45 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

I’ll reserve judgement on him, but what I do know is is we need to make the most out of DCL’s aerial prowess with players who can put a decent ball into the box for him to attack, whenever he does play that’s what I primarily want him to do.

Apparently he was the most accurate crosser of the ball in the Premiership last season. And he put in the 15th most crosses of any player - so not like it only a small number of crosses attempted. So DCL should love it.  

10 games under Benitez - 3 goals and 2 assists.  Not as big as sample as the crossing stats - but a positive one none the least :) 

6 hours ago, Bailey said:

Do you seriously believe Andros Townsend is as good as Arjen Robben?

I wish people would stop comparing older signings to Gareth Barry. Barry was a brilliant footballer who was an integral part of cup winnings sides. Townsend (and Delph before him) aren't fit to lace his boots.

You don't need wingers, you need to create space to put in a cross. For example Dwight McNeil would put in better crosses than either of these two, so would Siggy. Neither of these players are that quick either. People talk like they are as quick as Walcott but I don't see it. They might be a bit quicker than Iwobi but it is negligible. I just feel like a lot of the comments made by people about these players are not based on what they have actually seen them do.

We also didn't have to play full backs in the wing positions last season, they were Carlo's choices. He also hung all of our wingers out to dry last season and I expect better from every single one of them this year.

I would rather none of them came off the bench if I am honest, but I would still take Iwobi.

That presumes that we sell the other two. Bernard looks like he is going but there are no reports about Iwobi. Its a false economy if we end up with 3 crap players on the bench costing more money than two players on the bench. You shouldn't forget that these cheap or free signings will come with hefty sign on fees in the same way Bernard will have.

Maybe Iwobi gets a chance in his preferred role - I’d certainly be willing to give him a chance. Bernard is off (almost certainly), I can’t see James sticking around unfortunately and Gylfi… who knows?! So maybe Iwobi/Gordon get a chance in a advanced central area.

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Do I believe that Andros Townsend is as good as Arjen Robben????  No, absolutely 100% not .

Which reinforcees my point that Townsend was touted as world class but was just very good.  I think you missed that but thanks for helping me make it clear.

What I will say is that neither iwobi or Bernard are wingers ..... Townsend and Gray are.  Rafa is clearly trying to use width and pace ...... It make pure sense. 

When has he even shown that he is very good? 

I think it remains to be seen whether he uses width and pace. Townsend doesn't even have standout pace in my opinion. 

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

I think the comparisons with Barry come from the fact that virtually nobody thought signing him was a good idea, kudos to those that did but they were definitely in a minority.

Your comparing apples with pears though. Barry is a much better footballer than the others he has been compared to. The same argument gets used about young players turning into Kane. Its about the type of player and not their age.

5 hours ago, RuffRob said:

I think its fair enough to compare older players with Barry - especially in the context of at the time loads of people moaned about Barry as a signing due to him being an aged footballer on a free (the typical - 'is that the level we are aiming for' comments). Did anybody truly call it that Barry would have turned out such a fantastic signing for us. 

Its about the immediate negative moaning about a signing before he has even had a chance to kick a ball for the club. Barry turned out better than most expected. In a blue shirt could Townsend not turn out better than most expect would expect from a free transfer? At least give the fella a half decent crack at the whip, before writing him of as not fit to lace up other player boots.

I have never said he isn't good enough for the shirt. I think he will have a place in the squad but I don't like the idea of signing backups when our backups are already hit and miss. If certain other players move on and he fills their boots then fine, I can understand it. If they stay then we are just bloating our bench with average players.

As I said before Barry was an excellent footballer who had played at the highest level. He never relied on pace or anything like that. His footballing decline was always going to be slow. He also came here on loan first. Townend shares none of those attributes and even in the best case scenario he clearly isnt going to have anywhere near the impact of Barry.

I just think it is a really lazy comparison to make.

41 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think it remains to be seen whether he uses width and pace. Townsend doesn't even have standout pace in my opinion. 

Your comparing apples with pears though. Barry is a much better footballer than the others he has been compared to. The same argument gets used about young players turning into Kane. Its about the type of player and not their age.

I have never said he isn't good enough for the shirt. I think he will have a place in the squad but I don't like the idea of signing backups when our backups are already hit and miss. If certain other players move on and he fills their boots then fine, I can understand it. If they stay then we are just bloating our bench with average players.

As I said before Barry was an excellent footballer who had played at the highest level. He never relied on pace or anything like that. His footballing decline was always going to be slow. He also came here on loan first. Townend shares none of those attributes and even in the best case scenario he clearly isnt going to have anywhere near the impact of Barry.

Think your missing the whole point - At the time of his signing Barry was not a popular signing due to age and his profile. Don't tell me Barry was a popular signing with most people at the time and that we all knew he would do so well in the arse end of his career. Most bitched about it! 

Nobody is saying Townsend will be as good as Barry for us if you read the posts properly. You say 'clearly not going have anywhere near the impact of Barry' before he's kicked a ball for us. What crystal ball you using to have such 'clarity' That's  lazy if anything is. 

I am not saying he's 'clearly' going to be as good a signing as Barry. I am saying he is not a particular popular signing (similar to Barry - thus a valid comparison in this respect) , but might actual prove to be quite good value.

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Replacing Walcott, with a less good Walcott.

At least we haven’t forked out 20+ million for this squad player which is all walcott should have been. I would also think he is on about half the wages of bernard. He really only has to work hard and chip in with a few goals and assist’s and he’s done his part 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

Man of the match on his England debut. Scored a screamer from 25 yards. 

13 England caps and 3 goals.  

Leon Osman was very good and he never got those caps .....

I think it's fair to say that he has been considered very good.  

I understand this doesn't fit your confirmation bias and he is doomed before he kicks a ball but I'm ok with this signing.

I have no idea where this club is heading anymore, in 4 years we have gone one of the biggest spenders in the league, to a bargain basement team, why does Brands think Townsend and Grey will make good squad players for us, yet Palace and Leicester obviously don’t and they have worked with them for years. And what’s with I liked his interview he talks a good game I was really impressed, they mean absolutely squat, for me 2 very desperate signings that will do nothing to progress the team, and then we can all blame Rafa in 6 months time because he hasn’t done anything. 

51 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I have no idea where this club is heading anymore, in 4 years we have gone one of the biggest spenders in the league, to a bargain basement team, why does Brands think Townsend and Grey will make good squad players for us, yet Palace and Leicester obviously don’t and they have worked with them for years. And what’s with I liked his interview he talks a good game I was really impressed, they mean absolutely squat, for me 2 very desperate signings that will do nothing to progress the team, and then we can all blame Rafa in 6 months time because he hasn’t done anything. 

It's likely down to FFP.  You have to balance the books over a 3 year period. We have had a few year of over spend, this year is likely to be a more frugle year meeting the balance by underspend.

Our problem is success and the money that come with that has not materialised to help balance the books. So because no massive increase in income has happened, spending less for a period is the only way to get the balance needed. 

8 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

Up to a point I agree ( he is half Greek Cypriot so it suits him) but my eldest has gone for the same beard during lockdown, not impressed.

I tried the beard route myself (for about the 20th time in my life), my brother has one and it looks really good. Me? I just look like a tramp:(🧔