IGNORED

James Rodríguez

45 minutes ago, badaids said:

I have had to update my list of favorite Colombian things because of this.

1. James Rodríguez. (New entry)

2. Childhood school friend Carlos Dare whose mother was Colombian. (Down 1 place)

3. Yerry Mina. (Down 1 place)

4. kidnapping and ransoming of tourists. (Down 1 place)

thats it.

It surprises me that a certain white powder isn't on that list.

very excited about - like most of us I have been reading up a lot Rodriguez in the last couple of week.

I was little nervous when the rumours of us buying him first came about - was he past his best?, is he hugely injury prone?, was a two season wonder and just dropped away? and why come to Everton - what's wrong with him?, why isn't half of Europe after him type of thoughts? are we a cash cow for washed up players? 

However, the more I have read then it seem he was and still is well respected by Real and Bayern fans, and that his biggest problem has been Real stockpiling players and he didn't fit perfectly in to Zidane's preferred system at Real.

Turns out that Bayern did actually want to buy him at the end of his two season loan, but Rodriquez asked Rummanigure not to take up the 'buy' option as he didn't want to commit to playing under the then Bayern coach as the system didn't fit his game particularity will and he would simply still (and always be) second fiddle in his preferred part of the park to a certain Thomas Muller - although no shame in being second fiddle to him!!!! Would have simply been and out of the frying pan in to the fire kind of move for him. 

So given all I have read, we are getting a player who still playing at his prime and has not gone off the boil so to say. I actually think he will flourish being at a club where he will be the 'main' man. Reading the accolades he has had over the seasons, and seeing his average ratings for game his form has not dropped off at all really - others world class players are simply favoured in front of him. His main problem has simply been being at the wrong clubs (arguably at 2 of the best 5 teams in Europe over the past 5-6 years!!) in order to guaranteed to be in the first 11 week in week out. 

I am pretty confident we still have that quality player who light up the 2014 World Cup about to grace our team and I don't think his level of performance has dropped away much at all. I think he is still hungry and will thrive with us as the marquee player in the team - he is not going to be at all phased by coming to us and being the star attraction (like others maybe have been). I am very excited.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

very happy for this!!! he's gonna run the show in the middle it's gonna be awesome!  

Note:  so it's 2 years with a Club option, but was there a fee?  or no fee?

Will he play midfield is my question...  I'd guess he will be advanced maybe as a 10.  

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Think Allan will prove to be our best bit of business, this is a cherry 

Depends how you define business. In terms of overall value to the club James will probably be the biggest signing of all time. As was pointed out yesterday, just changing a Facebook photo to his Everton shirt garnered 30m+ likes in an hour. 

28 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

As was pointed out yesterday, just changing a Facebook photo to his Everton shirt garnered 30m+ likes in an hour. 

I'm pretty sure that can't be the case, maybe 30k. I don' think ever photo has gone above like 8m last time I saw. Still, massive exposure for 'plucky little Everton' ☺️

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Will he play midfield is my question...  I'd guess he will be advanced maybe as a 10.  

I would think so too, at least to start the game. Our most recent games have been played with more of a 10 (albeit a lot deeper than when we played under Silva) so my best guess is that is where he will play. 

In that little video, how sharp does Allan look. Even James didn't get any joy out of him!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Think Allan will prove to be our best bit of business, this is a cherry 

yeah, he might go quietly unnoticed with all eye on Rodriquez - hopefully within the 'limelight' on Rodrigez's stand out performances in a blue shirt :D. With Allan in the background give him a solid stage to perform on.  A good couple of 'complimentary' signings. 

I am also hoping that these sort of signings will get the rest of the squad enthused to up their game from some of last years performances - get on board or get out!! The club IS showing massive commitment first with Ancelotti and now with player transfers - so shame on any player who don't. 

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

yeah, he might go quietly unnoticed with all eye on Rodriquez - hopefully within the 'limelight' on Rodrigez's stand out performances in a blue shirt :D. With Allan in the background give him a solid stage to perform on.  A good couple of 'complimentary' signings. 

I am also hoping that these sort of signings will get the rest of the squad enthused to up their game from some of last years performances - get on board or get out!! The club IS showing massive commitment first with Ancelotti and now with player transfers - so shame on any player who don't. 

I’m really hoping Allan does go under the radar, it’ll play to our advantage 

2 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

World class coach, world class players. The squad will want to show they belong. If they don't......

29 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

What muted, understated, and patronizing reporting from the major news outlets. What about, for example...

"This is a huge coup and statement of intent by the Everton owners and management team. The crop of exciting youngsters on which the team now relies will soon be challenging for a European spot with the added presence Allan and Rodriguez, two skilled and experienced players who've garnered enviable reputations among the world's elite and are among the few sufficiently worthy to play for a team with Everton's history and pedigree. Watch out those in red: the blues are about to turn the tide in Liverpool and the country as a whole. These transfer moves will be seen as a pivotal moment as Everton returns to its former glory in English football."

That would require sports journalists to actually think and breathe at the same time though. If you presented that, most would just implode. 

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It surprises me that a certain white powder isn't on that list.

I’m straight edge. No booze or fags either.

And besides. Winners don’t use drugs. Just ask Mark Ward, Michael Branch, Billy Kenny, Jose Baxter, Andy Van Der Meyde, George Green, Gaza, I could go on.

9 hours ago, badaids said:

I have had to update my list of favorite Colombian things because of this.

1. James Rodríguez. (New entry)

2. Childhood school friend Carlos Dare whose mother was Colombian. (Down 1 place)

3. Yerry Mina. (Down 1 place)

4. kidnapping and ransoming of tourists. (Down 1 place)

thats it.

Coca and coffee should be in your favourite Colombian thing’s. 

11 minutes ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

Today. In the hub of one of the largest and most relevant cities in the world. As an American Evertonian I find this both unfathomable and encouraging. 

No Cazoo on his shirt in America, interesting (Cazoo doesnt exist in Canada, and I'm guessing not in the US either).  Wonder if we're searching for an overseas shirt sponsor to team up with James.

Edit: Ignore me, actually watched the video and Cazoo fades in right away. Doh.  Point still stands about overseas presence though.  Don't think Cazoo exits in Canada/US etc

Edited by chicagoblue
Am dumb

He will make us 20 mil alone in marketing. All these new fans that would have be looking at Everton seriously for the first time must think we are a massive project, the new stadium, 3 great signing and Carlo of course. We have endured some right shit the last few seasons but i finally feel we have turned that point from trying to get class players to having class players. 

If Rodriguez stays reasonably fit - at £12M (or even £20M) he could turn out to be one of the best pieces of Premiership business ever. Maybe our Cantona!!! 

You can just sense a real feel good factor about the club at the moment - this signing could be more that just what the player brings to the pitch - a real buzz. We are due a bit of 'luck' from our recent transfer windows - finger crossed this season we finally just get that bit of luck you need and things just come together.

I have said it before, Moshri et al's commitment to Everton can't be questioned,  so he deserves a bit of the rub of the green as much as anybody for his efforts.